Chl eligibility

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
khilton
Posts in topic: 2

Chl eligibility

Post by khilton »

So I'm probably wasting everyone's time with this question because I think I already know the answer but here goes. So last year I got arrested for a dwi on fort hood. I went to a federal court and recieved 6 days of jail, six months of probabtion, a $450 fine, and NO license suspension. The whole thing seemed way more lienent than what I heard from people that recieved state dwi. Also my probabtion officer informed me that it would not be on my state criminal record and only on my federal. My wife and I were hoping to get our CHLs at the beginning of the year since my situation was federal and not state. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.

casp625
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Chl eligibility

Post by casp625 »

khilton wrote:So I'm probably wasting everyone's time with this question because I think I already know the answer but here goes. So last year I got arrested for a dwi on fort hood. I went to a federal court and recieved 6 days of jail, six months of probabtion, a $450 fine, and NO license suspension. The whole thing seemed way more lienent than what I heard from people that recieved state dwi. Also my probabtion officer informed me that it would not be on my state criminal record and only on my federal. My wife and I were hoping to get our CHLs at the beginning of the year since my situation was federal and not state. Can anyone shed some light on this? Thanks.
SUBCHAPTER H. LICENSE TO CARRY A CONCEALED HANDGUN
Sec. 411.172. ELIGIBILITY.
Text of subsection effective until January 01, 2016

(a) A person is eligible for a license to carry a concealed handgun if the person:
(1) is a legal resident of this state for the six-month period preceding the date of application under this subchapter or is otherwise eligible for a license under Section 411.173(a);
(2) is at least 21 years of age;
(3) has not been convicted of a felony;
(4) is not charged with the commission of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or equivalent offense, or of an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code, or equivalent offense, or of a felony under an information or indictment;
(5) is not a fugitive from justice for a felony or a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or equivalent offense;
(6) is not a chemically dependent person;
(7) is not incapable of exercising sound judgment with respect to the proper use and storage of a handgun;
(8) has not, in the five years preceding the date of application, been convicted of a Class A or Class B misdemeanor or equivalent offense or of an offense under Section 42.01, Penal Code, or equivalent offense;
(9) is fully qualified under applicable federal and state law to purchase a handgun;
(10) has not been finally determined to be delinquent in making a child support payment administered or collected by the attorney general;
(11) has not been finally determined to be delinquent in the payment of a tax or other money collected by the comptroller, the tax collector of a political subdivision of the state, or any agency or subdivision of the state;
(12) is not currently restricted under a court protective order or subject to a restraining order affecting the spousal relationship, other than a restraining order solely affecting property interests;
(13) has not, in the 10 years preceding the date of application, been adjudicated as having engaged in delinquent conduct violating a penal law of the grade of felony; and
(14) has not made any material misrepresentation, or failed to disclose any material fact, in an application submitted pursuant to Section 411.174.

stingeragent
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stingeragent »

I'm assuming it was greater than a class C , so you gotta wait 5 years.
20. If I was convicted of Driving While Intoxicated (DWI), am I eligible for a Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC)?
DWI is classified as at least a Class B misdemeanor, and you are ineligible for a license for five years after a conviction for a Class A or Class B misdemeanor. For the purpose of determining eligibility, a conviction includes those that were dismissed after you completed probation or deferred adjudication.

Also of note, I'm fairly certain the eligibility requirements don't infer whether it's a state or federal crime. So even if it was only on your federal record, you are still disqualified. Same thing as if you got a class A mis in georgia, that would still disqualify you even though it didn't happen in texas.

On a lighter note, if it happened last year, you just gotta wait 4 years. Seems like forever but time seems to fly by. I'd also still encourage your wife to get one if she is eligible. Better that one of you have it than neither one.

Topic author
khilton
Posts in topic: 2

Post by khilton »

That's what I figured. She is still going to get hers. I'll just hide behind her if the day comes. Lol. Thanks a lot.

Return to “New to CHL?”