Questions about the process (new guy)

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Mr_Houston_Guy
Posts in topic: 4

Questions about the process (new guy)

Post by Mr_Houston_Guy »

I am looking to go to a CHL class to get a permit (obviously). I have a few questions

1. Do I have to fill out the online application before I take the class? There is a disparity regarding this based on which websites I visit
2. I just moved to Houston from Dallas (less than 6 months). My drivers license is already changed. Is there a certain time limit I need to be at my current address in order to prevent weird governmental slowdowns? (Life long Texas, never lived elsewhere)
3. Is the application only online, or is it also paper? This is a bit confusing because there is the online application but there are still paper forms which can be printed.

Sorry for the boring new guy questions, but I have been looking and am having trouble finding the answers.

jb2012
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Questions about the process (new guy)

Post by jb2012 »

!. Apply whenever you are ready; before/after/during your class
2. You are good to go, just list all addresses on your app
3. You can file online or mail in a check and a paper application, your choice. You may also send in supporting documents at your discretion via your choice of method. However they will not begin processing your application until everything is turned in and paid for.

Topic author
Mr_Houston_Guy

Post by Mr_Houston_Guy »

So the order doesn't even matter provided I get everything in? That's pretty cool.

Supporting docs sounds like something that would be needed only if there is issue regarding ones personal history (criminal, health, etc), is that about right?

jb2012
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jb2012 »

Mr_Houston_Guy wrote:So the order doesn't even matter provided I get everything in? That's pretty cool.

Supporting docs sounds like something that would be needed only if there is issue regarding ones personal history (criminal, health, etc), is that about right?
Yessir! People make it much more difficult than it really is, don't let others confuse you!

JakeTheSnake
Posts in topic: 1

Post by JakeTheSnake »

Mr_Houston_Guy wrote:So the order doesn't even matter provided I get everything in? That's pretty cool.

I applied online on the 13th of June.
Had fingerprints done on the 17th and took CHL class on the 18th.
Submitted CHL-100 and DD-214 on the 19th. Confirmation of receipt on the 20th.
So, my supporting doc was my DD-214 to receive veterans discount.

Good luck on the turn around time. Mine took 10 days and two of those were weekend days.

Oh, and welcome to the forum. Lots of great info and very knowledgeable folks here.

allisji

Post by allisji »

The only supporting docs that most of us need are the Signed CHL100 (Training Certificate), and fingerprints (which are submitted automatically by Identogo or morphotrust).

My advice would be:
1. submit the application online
2. immediately schedule you fingerprints (will be prompted on DPS website when application is submitted), could be a 2wk+ wait time for prints
3. sign up for your CHL class whenever you have the time (this really is the easiest part of the process)

I took the class first, as do most people, I think. The instructor talked for probably an hour about how to fill out the application. After the course I went online and applied and had to wait 3 weeks for prints. If this is the case, then you might try calling morphotrust and scheduling on the phone.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Topic author
Mr_Houston_Guy

Post by Mr_Houston_Guy »

So I did the online app, got fingerprinted, took the took the course. I uploaded a scan of my CHL-100. Is uploading it under "supporting documents" at the DPS website sufficient for a new applicant? Or do I have to mail in the original?
Last edited by Mr_Houston_Guy on Wed Aug 31, 2016 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

troglodyte

Post by troglodyte »

Mr_Houston_Guy wrote:So I did the online app, got fingerprinted, took the took the course. I uploaded a scan of my CHL-100. Is uploading it under "supporting documents" at the DPS website sufficient for a new applicant? Or do I have to mail in the original?
The scan will be fine. Hold on to the original in case there is a glitch and need to resubmit it.

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

Mr_Houston_Guy wrote:So I did the online app, got fingerprinted, took the took the course. I uploaded a scan of my CHL-100. Is uploading it under "supporting documents" at the DPS website sufficient for a new applicant? Or do I have to mail in the original?
There's no need to mail in the original. You likely received an automated reply from RSD when you upload the CHL-100. Hold on to that for reference, & just relax while you wait. Waiting seems to be the hardest part!

Topic author
Mr_Houston_Guy

Post by Mr_Houston_Guy »

Thanks for the prompt responses! Gosh my grammar is awful at 7 in the morning.

twomillenium

Post by twomillenium »

"Supporting Documents" include everything needed to prove your application.

1. Everyone must send in their CHL 100 - this proves you have taken and passed mandated class and shooting proficiency given in person by a state certified instructor. (the instructor does not do this, it is the responsibility of the applicant)

2. Digital Fingerprints must sent in - the Digital Fingerprinting vendor will send this in, the applicant only receives a receipt, which the applicant keeps for his records. (in the rare case that you qualify for inked fingerprint card, the applicant is responsible for sending them in).

These two documents are required for all applicants in addition to the application.

Any arrest or criminal history greater than a class C misdemeanor needs to be reported on application, you may have to send in additional documentation to support this history, if you have this it is a good idea to scan and send it in before the State asks for it.

If you claim (over 60) senior citizen discount (1/2 normal fee) the state will use the proof of that from your State Drivers License or State ID.

Veterans will prove their status by sending a copy of DD214. This can be done online or by snail mail.

Indigent discount will be proven by sending IRS statements or another acceptable proof of low or no income.

LEO, officers of the court, or any other discounts will be proven by provable documents of the department involved. It is still the responsibility of the applicant to make sure these items are sent to proper DPS address.

Active military status or those discharge honorably within 360 days must send State their documentation to prove status.

The State will allow any applicant to claim any discount, as long as the applicant can justify the discount with proper documentation.

The State does not take responsibility for finding the applicants discounts. The State only verifies the authenticity of applicant documents to support claimed discounts.

If the State notifies the applicant of additional needed documentation, the applicant has 90 days to respond with the requested documentation or a viable request for more time, before the State closes the applicant file. The State will not notify the applicant to send in the CHL 100 or to get fingerprints. (This is considered known documentation needed for all applicants)

If an applicant is eligible for more than one discount, the applicant chooses which one is best for them, only one discount may be used by applicant.

Now that this is as clear as mud. I am sure I left something out. Remember the applicant need not worry about anything that does not apply to them. :tiphat:

P.S. Anything that is done by snail mail must have all signatures notarized.
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA pistol instructor, RSO, NRA Endowment Life , TSRA, Glock enthusiast (tho I have others)
Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is knowing not to add it to a fruit salad.

You will never know another me, this could be good or not so good, but it is still true.

Return to “New to CHL?”