Just Got Plastic, Looking For Advice on Clothing

The "What Works, What Doesn't," "Recommendations & Experiences"

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Abraham
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Just Got Plastic, Looking For Advice on Clothing

Post by Abraham »

IWB is probably not as comfortable as OWB.

If I am are where the law allows and my clothing shows a bit of a lump, I know I don't sweat it. No, I'm not OCing, but if I happen to reveal my pistol, no big thing.

The other day in Walmart, when it cold outside, but rather warm inside, I wore my unzipped, unbuttoned vest over my OWB holster/Glock 19.

If my casual approach when I reached for something on a top shelf happened to reveal my gun, I just didn't care...

So, if possible, try a friend's OWB holster and an then an IWB holster. You may decide rather quickly which one is more comfortable and not sweat (on occasion, as in my example) whether you show more than you intend...

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Abraham wrote:IWB is probably not as comfortable as OWB.

If I am are where the law allows and my clothing shows a bit of a lump, I know I don't sweat it. No, I'm not OCing, but if I happen to reveal my pistol, no big thing.

The other day in Walmart, when it cold outside, but rather warm inside, I wore my unzipped, unbuttoned vest over my OWB holster/Glock 19.

If my casual approach when I reached for something on a top shelf happened to reveal my gun, I just didn't care...

So, if possible, try a friend's OWB holster and an then an IWB holster. You may decide rather quickly which one is more comfortable and not sweat (on occasion, as in my example) whether you show more than you intend...
:iagree: I gave up on IWB a long time ago and switched to OWB or pocket carry. For wearing with shorts I suggest the Wilderness Instructor belt or Uncle Mike's Tactical Two Layer.
NRA Endowment Member

Topic author
MaduroBU
Posts in topic: 4

Post by MaduroBU »

I really appreciate all of the advice. After a few months of puttering around, I find that I mostly I use a Sig paddle holster at 4-5 o'clock. I don't make any special provision for a nice belt, and as its a button retention holster, it's still pretty speedy to draw. I find myself reliant upon fleece pullovers for concealment. That concerns me, as I will stand out and sweat until I pass out come summer. I don't think that a t-shirt would hang low enough to conceal the OWB paddle.

I got two nice (or at least expensive) Galco belts and an IWB holster. I can't pack an extra mag easily with that holster and I worry that sweat will ruin it or ruin the firearm in it if worn at the wrong time. I have not carried with the IWB setup yet, as I think that it would require a coat.

NotRPB
Posts in topic: 2

Post by NotRPB »

MaduroBU wrote:I really appreciate all of the advice. After a few months of puttering around, I find that I mostly I use a Sig paddle holster at 4-5 o'clock. I don't make any special provision for a nice belt, and as its a button retention holster, it's still pretty speedy to draw. I find myself reliant upon fleece pullovers for concealment. That concerns me, as I will stand out and sweat until I pass out come summer. I don't think that a t-shirt would hang low enough to conceal the OWB paddle.

I got two nice (or at least expensive) Galco belts and an IWB holster. I can't pack an extra mag easily with that holster and I worry that sweat will ruin it or ruin the firearm in it if worn at the wrong time. I have not carried with the IWB setup yet, as I think that it would require a coat.
TALL Tee shirts from any "Big and Tall Store" (Sized like XLT (I got one at JC Pennys>> in the Big and TALL shop area>> reduced from $20 to $12 to $4 a couple weeks ago as they closed out "Summer" clothing on sale ) ...

or the 3" longer "LongTail" "Plumbers Butt" (Duluth Trading term) Tee shirts ($9 to $25.00) are several inches longer length than regular Tee shirts... "LongTail" also called Long Tail Tshirts ... Long Tail Tee shirts

Also some call them an "Elongated Drop Tail Long T-Shirt" http://www.zumiez.com/catalogsearch/res ... g+tail+tee

Dickies brand of TALL sized Tee shirts seem to fit a bit "tighter" than many brands in same sizes so I have to get a looser size in that brand, I don't wear the Dickies brand ones much

Jago668

Post by Jago668 »

NotRPB wrote:
MaduroBU wrote:I really appreciate all of the advice. After a few months of puttering around, I find that I mostly I use a Sig paddle holster at 4-5 o'clock. I don't make any special provision for a nice belt, and as its a button retention holster, it's still pretty speedy to draw. I find myself reliant upon fleece pullovers for concealment. That concerns me, as I will stand out and sweat until I pass out come summer. I don't think that a t-shirt would hang low enough to conceal the OWB paddle.

TALL Tee shirts from any "Big and Tall Store" (Sized like XLT (I got one at JC Pennys>> in the Big and TALL shop area>> reduced from $20 to $12 to $4 a couple weeks ago as they closed out "Summer" clothing on sale ) ...

or the 3" longer "LongTail" "Plumbers Butt" (Duluth Trading term) Tee shirts ($9 to $25.00) are several inches longer length than regular Tee shirts... "LongTail" also called Long Tail Tshirts ... Long Tail Tee shirts

Also some call them an "Elongated Drop Tail Long T-Shirt" http://www.zumiez.com/catalogsearch/res ... g+tail+tee
I buy these and I carry IWB. I like them because with my belly they stay tucked in when I need them tucked in (you can buy polo style shirts in the same longer style). You will have zero problems hiding the length of an OWB holster with the tall style shirts. Now the downside is you have more fabric to clear before you can get to the gun. So before you redo your wardrobe, buy one shirt and see how it works for you.
NRA Benefactor Member

Return to “New to CHL?”