Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

WTR
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Green/Red chamber

Post by WTR »

ScottDLS wrote:
BLG wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:I carry a revolver with hammer down on an empty chamber and the next chamber empty as well. So my first trigger pull readies the gun and the second, fires a shot. Sometimes the click on an empty chamber is all it takes to scare away the perp. Kind of like racking the slide on an auto.
Sometimes I worry about you! :biggrinjester:
I always carry my Glocks and other striker fired pistols with the hammer back on a loaded chamber. When the perp sees the hammer back he usually gives up without a fight. And I’ve been in tons of gunfights and survived them all. :shock:
We need pics !

BLG
Posts in topic: 2

Post by BLG »

I always carry my Glocks and other striker fired pistols with the hammer back on a loaded chamber. When the perp sees the hammer back he usually gives up without a fight. And I’ve been in tons of gunfights and survived them all. :shock:[/quote]

:smilelol5: I promise, I would give up, too. That sounds almost like a Chuck Norris joke.

jason812

Post by jason812 »

I carry mine with no rounds at all in the pistol. Empty mag, empty chamber. If I need it, I will pull it out and say, " mine says Desert Eagle point five oh" and the bad guys will just run away.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law to pursue a natural justice.

Take Down Sicko

Post by Take Down Sicko »

I carry mine with the trigger assembly removed and reassemble it when a threat presents itself.

rotor
Posts in topic: 3

Post by rotor »

jason812 wrote:I carry mine with no rounds at all in the pistol. Empty mag, empty chamber. If I need it, I will pull it out and say, " mine says Desert Eagle point five oh" and the bad guys will just run away.
I carry a spare Maglula concealed of course to load that empty mag. Must be purple.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

rotor wrote:
jason812 wrote:I carry mine with no rounds at all in the pistol. Empty mag, empty chamber. If I need it, I will pull it out and say, " mine says Desert Eagle point five oh" and the bad guys will just run away.
I carry a spare Maglula concealed of course to load that empty mag. Must be purple.
My wife's Maglula is purple, but her 8+1 Walther PPS M2 LE is not.
:biggrinjester:
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

If your carry gun is not drop safe, then why are you carrying it? Why do you even own it?

I have seen what a .44 magnum hollow point can do to an arm (nearly killed the victim from blood loss and nearly cost the arm). I won't own or knowingly be around a non drop safe gun after that. It was an old revolver with the firing pin forged into the hammer that was dropped.

There are very few ways that a gun can be dangerous without deliberate malfeasance or blatant disregard for safety. The failure to be drop safe is one of those ways.

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

I carry with a round chambered. And I have from Day 1. I currently carry a Shield 8+1 and a manual safety (and no, I cannot rack the slide on the stock rear sights, I've tried many times.)

I have also carried a G19 15+1 and a Kahr fully loaded and chambered. I've never thought about doing otherwise.
Psalm 91:2

E10

Post by E10 »

1911 Commander-size Para GI LTC .45 ACP Condition One. The way God and John Moses Browning intended.

G40yes

Post by G40yes »

I always carry with a round chambered. No concerns about the Glock action. It usually stays in a good holster and my hands and brain are trained well to obey the 4 basic safety rules.
.. tyrants accomplish their purposes ...by disarming the people, and making it an offense to keep arms. - Supreme Court Justice Joseph Story, 1840

flechero

Post by flechero »

MaduroBU wrote:If your carry gun is not drop safe, then why are you carrying it? Why do you even own it?

I have seen what a .44 magnum hollow point can do to an arm (nearly killed the victim from blood loss and nearly cost the arm). I won't own or knowingly be around a non drop safe gun after that. It was an old revolver with the firing pin forged into the hammer that was dropped.

There are very few ways that a gun can be dangerous without deliberate malfeasance or blatant disregard for safety. The failure to be drop safe is one of those ways.
Carrying an old style revolver with one under the hammer is not safe and is not how they were intended to be carried.

It's hard to be 100% drop safe... there is a reason drop test protocols are constantly changing. As Sig learned, just because you pass the protocols, doesn't mean it's going to survive every possible angle/speed/ etc.

I'm going to take this a step further than you did, but only to illustrate the slippery slope...

As for ownership- your choice is yours but please don't publicly question people that own guns that may be pre drop testing... could be antiques, family heirlooms, historical, etc. Saying people shouldn't own a particular type of gun sounds very left. (think AR's, SBR's, suppressed, hi cap mags, etc) Heck, muskets weren't even drop safe and that's all they think we should have... don't help em' figure a way around those too!

The reality (statistically) is that you have better chance of ND, even if you are a safety nut, than you do getting hurt by a dropped gun. Odds so slim, that if that's are your reason, you might avoid carrying because "something" could happen, eventually.

Hoping the tone of this post reads as it was intended. (as a respectful discussion) :tiphat:

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

Just wanted to add my two cents.

Back when I first started carrying in the mid 90's it was a Glock. And I to didn't carry (at first) with a round chambered. Just didn't feel comfortable with it and a lot of that had to do with lack of experience, a cheap nylon holster (you know the ones with a metal clip and a spare magazine carrier with a velcro flap), and using a dress belt as a gun belt. After some time a learned the error of my ways and I've carried many Glocks and 1911's in condition 1.

Never really used the green/red chamber terminology so I thought I'd share this.

http://concealednation.org/2015/08/fire ... -all-mean/

And as far as thinking about carrying a gun without a round chambered, I wanted to share this video I came across on a YouTube on one of the channels I frequently watch. Still think you can chamber a round fast enough when you think you need it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rVPiic- ... mxZ5fmF8W5

MaduroBU

Post by MaduroBU »

I certainly don't have the right to tell others what to do, but I think the question regarding carry is valid. I understand your meaning with regard to guns kept for historical or personal reasons, and can see how guns kept for show or limited range use (an extreme example being a skeet gun with a release trigger) has a defined place.

Your point about 5 rounds in an old revolver is also well taken, and I can't speak to the handling of v the gun prior to the incident as I only got to observe the aftermath.

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Last line of the signature.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Return to “New to CHL?”