My lovely brides first day of carry

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Wodathunkit
Posts in topic: 1

My lovely brides first day of carry

Post by Wodathunkit »

Her plastic was delivered Friday. She is an RN and got home late so her first day "out and about" was Saturday.

We went out to eat in Papasitas in Webster. We had just a couple of minute. I noticed her hunting for a "gun buster" sign, and when she found one, I made her pose for a picture with it. We had a great lunch.

Next stop Barnes and Noble just down the road with a detour to the built in Starbucks. While there she had to take a trip to the restroom. She learned her a technique for getting that done.

At this point she was starting to struggle with her set up. She is appendix carrying a Glock 26 with a Betty Holster. She didn't like the width she was dealing with (double stack grip) and the Betty doesn't have the leather backing my Crossbreed does so she was uncomfortable. She was convincing herself that she needed to go down in size.

Our next stop was Academy for some soccer stuff for the girls. SHE went gun shopping. She didn't find anything. We got the soccer stuff and left. After that, the rest of the day was her finding a new EDC.

We went to the Arms Room, but they had nothing.

We went to a little gun shop here in Alvin and she bought a Sig P290 RS. She loved not having to do a background check.

When we got home she was bruised from her Betty at appendix carry. I had her try my crossbreed on at appendix and she was shocked how comfortable it was. Next she went to Crossbreed and ordered their appendix carry in horse hide and a new belt to boot!

Some observations;

- The Sig fit better around her hand even though she shoots the 26 well. It is going to be easier for her to conceal with her frame.
- The Betty does conceal well and it rides at the right height for women. But the plastic molding towards the barrel of the gun has sharp corners and digs into the skin. Keep that in mind if you plan on using this holster for appendix carry.
- she said her level of self confidence about being able to protect herself sky rocketed.

Memo to the fat guy behind the counter at Academy, your condescending attitude towards women cost Academy a sale. As you were trying to explain to her she needed a bigger gun to keep in her purse so that big bad recoil wouldn't scare her. I thought she showed much constraint by not drawing her weapon and yelling "this ain't in my purse you fat tub of ....." "rlol"

I think I can parlay this into using the 26 as my "summer time" weapon and dropping down a size from the 19. :mrgreen:
"Character is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking" - J.C. watts Jr.
CHL since Jan. 2013
53 days mailbox to mailbox.

Jumping Frog

Re: My lovely brides first day of carry

Post by Jumping Frog »

Terrific. Wish my wife would carry.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

I tried carrying at the appendix position, I found it horribly uncomfortable. I carry in a cross-draw position at about 10'oclock, I love it. I use a Kusiack holster, with my LCP, the Kusiack carries the gun higher, so that it is positioned lower, it's especially perfect for ladies with shorter torsos, if that makes sense.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Songbird

Post by Songbird »

Congratulations on a good first day, and for her restraint. She's a better woman than I! I'd have unloaded on the guy at Academy!

As to holsters, I've found that whole line of women's holsters to be great in theory, but not comfortable OR extremely stable. I do have the "Marilyn" which is worn under the bra in the underarm area. I use it with my Colt Mustang when I'm wearing a dress (which isn't real often!)

I also started out with IWB appendix carry, but moved to OWB at 3:00 once I got a great holster and belt for my PPS. Now, it feels like part of me and I know it's going to stay put, no matter what.
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

if the holster has sharp corners, I wonder if they can be filed down softer?

that's why I like my leather holster, it's all soft and nice...nothing to rub me wrong.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

SF18C

Post by SF18C »

Congrats to her and I agree Academy is the WORST place in Texas to buy a gun. They act like they are to good to sell a person a gun...you are a freaking sales-person at a "big box chain store".
Tis better to die on your feet than live on your knees!

Texas10X

Post by Texas10X »

Congratulations to your wife (and to you for being there with her through her journey). For most of us, it's a case of doing what she's doing -- try what seems best, figure out what needs adjusting and go do it; repeat as needed. It sounds like it was a very good day!! Thanks for sharing!

Longhorn-breeder

Post by Longhorn-breeder »

I am wondering if some moleskin can be applied to the sharp edges?
Longhorn-breeder
Central TX

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

Congrats to your wife, tell her welcome! Make sure she discovers the wonderful world of cami's. My favorites are made of the "underarmour" type material. Wicks moisture, allows the holster to move and not stick and dig in. Before I started wearing a cami daily (now I feel lost without an undershirt of some sort) I too had some raw spots. I carry appendix in the Mtac and LOVE it!

TLynnHughes has a great A Girl and A Gun group that meets at the Arms room. Have your wife look them up. They have a holster clinic coming up I think.

I too am proud of her not giving the guy at Academy grief. It is often hard not to tell them off "Bless their little hearts..."
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

JustMe

Post by JustMe »

Just a hint--have her look at the Ava holster(same people that make the Betty) I carry a glock 26 in it all the time, right behind my hip--and litterally cannot feel it there
Mary Ellis
TX CHL Instructor NRA Instuctor--Basic Pistol,Basic Rifle, Basic Shotgun, RTBAV,Home Firearm Safety,Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection outside the Home. ,RSO, CRSO,TP&&W Hunter Ed Instructor

xb12s

Post by xb12s »

Your wife sounds awesome. You are a lucky guy.

You might have her look at LimaTunes and Faliaphotography on youtube for ideas also. Falia is a fan of PJholsters. I am too. Kydex and the least bulk of any holster I've seen. Customizable and made to order (more cant, higher ride, whatever). Falia has a video where showing off her holster with 30 degree cant for her M&P Shield. I have a standard FBI cant for a Kahr PM9, but I have carried it appendix, cross draw, and the usual 3:30 postion. They work great for smaller pistols. Let us know how she likes shooting the P290 and how it feels (recoil, etc). Kahr CW9 is also a good thin choice for CCW.

I'm trying to talk my wife into getting her plastic (for years now). She is interested and understands the justification, just never motivated enough to actually do it.

Gnarl E. Hound

Post by Gnarl E. Hound »

Thanks for the info re: the Sig P290 RS and Betty Holster. Sounds like you have a keeper in more ways than one!
"If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have peace."
-Thomas Paine

Return to “Ladies”