Good friend of mine is pursuing CHL

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
gigag04
Posts in topic: 2

Good friend of mine is pursuing CHL

Post by gigag04 »

My friend who is about to graduate from A&M (while I am stuck here for some more) is getting her CHL.

Her mom and dad are making her :)

She has been shooting with me and is great with range shooting etc, but not very familiar with self defense shooting issues. Her mom may take the course with her, but her mom doesnt see the need for a gun in the house as they live in a safe neighborhood and she has a husband who has rifles etc.

Anyway, I can get her setup here with a great CHL class at Champion Firearms, but I encouraged her and she consented to getting some good solid instruction first. I may have her do a class here, but if anyone of you know someone that does good teaching a girly girl, then that would be great. Preferable a female, one on one time of instruction is what I think she needs. Not sure what that would run, but she knows it will be worth it.

Also - I can't decide what direction to steer her on gun selection, I was thinking about an SW small revolver, but I'm not sure. She is fine with racking the slide on my 1911 and my XD and can handle shooting both calibers so anything should go.

When I showed her a pic a 642 she said "can I get a pink one and put little jewels on it?" so that is what I have to work with :lol: Any help in this dept would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

SRVA

Post by SRVA »

Nick, My wife is an NRA instructor, CHL holder, defensive pistol competitor, and has a passion for reaching out to women shooters. As we are in Conroe, it is close enough to be a reasonable commute for a day of instruction. I have a great deal of respect for her efforts and have seen her take a non-shooting woman from basic skills to demonstrating a great deal of confidence in a couple of hours of instruction. She does a great job, and I would say that even if she didn't shoot better than I do. If you are interested, PM me and I'll provide you contact information.

HighVelocity
Posts in topic: 1

Post by HighVelocity »

she said "can I get a pink one and put little jewels on it?"
Coloring a Smith is blasphemy! :shock:

I think you should show her one of those pimped out hard chrome Taurus' that has the mother of pearl grips and gold plated controls. :lol:

ElGato
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ElGato »

It's true, Ladies shoot better with pretty guns.

Just another one of those things we don't understand.

Tomcat
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

dws1117

Post by dws1117 »

Her mom and dad are making her
Now that's good parenting. :D

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

I guess that means men shoot better with scruffy guns. :?

I happen to think my guns are very attractive. :roll:

"Say, boy, you sure do have a purdy gun!"
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

Oh yeah, if the gun has everything else and looks good thats a plus, but men don't put looks as high on the list of requirements as Ladies, look at how many shoot Glocks.

I'm going to try to quietly sneak out after that one.

Tomcat
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Re: Good friend of mine is pursuing CHL

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

gigag04 wrote:When I showed her a pic a 642 she said "can I get a pink one and put little jewels on it?"
Nick, tell her you buy jewelry to look at, guns to fight with, and the more you wear the former the more likely you'll need the latter.

Chas.
Last edited by Charles L. Cotton on Mon Oct 31, 2005 9:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Nick:
Donna would be excellent for one-on-one training, female or otherwise. She is a major force in PSC's Ladies Program and has earned a very good reputation.

If you can get off, you and your friend should consider coming the NRA Basic Personal Protection course Marc and I are teaching at PSC in Friendswood on Saturday, Nov. 19th.

When I got certified as an instructor in NRA Basic Pistol and Basic Rifle, I believed the PPH course would be equally "basic." It's not; it's a very good first course and, time permitting, we add some drills to the range portion that I believe people find helpful.

Regards,
Chas.

Topic author
gigag04

Post by gigag04 »

Thanks for the replies guys!

I'm not sure on the 19th - that is a crazy week but I will check for sure.

I am definitely interested in hooking her up with donna for a one on one class. I'm gonna send that PM here in a second.

Any leads as far as gun selection?

Thanks again!

-nick
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

ElGato wrote:It's true, Ladies shoot better with pretty guns.
Yes, but there has to be some limit. The wife keeps confiscating my Kel-Tec mouseguns (P-32s & p-3ATs) and having them refinished to match her wardrobe. Now the earth tones I can shoot without embarrassment but the Ralph Lauren Blue below is a bit embarrassing.

The P-3AT below is being sent back to have the grip darkened to match the slide, as she wanted this to be monotoned. I’m hoping they make a big mistake and make it a much darker gray.

I’m now hiding my remaining mouseguns for fear that one will come back pink :oops:

ElGato

Post by ElGato »

Wilson, I really did laugh out loud, thats great, but I don't want my Daughter to see it and get any ideas.

Tomcat

Wilson

Post by Wilson »

ElGato wrote:Wilson, I really did laugh out loud, thats great, but I don't want my Daughter to see it and get any ideas.
Oh! I also don’t shoot her Powder Blue P-32, for obvious reasons :roll:
Wilson

Return to “Ladies”