Gunsmith in N. Houston area?

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
PPM
Posts in topic: 2

Gunsmith in N. Houston area?

Post by PPM »

Hey, ladies! I'm considering gettin a stainless CZ 75B 9mm (in case I have problems with the XD, etc.). Anyway, Tomball Pawn has one and I did some dry-firin' yesterday. Was bothered by the, basically, two-stage trigger that it has. Not unlike others, actually but, since I've gotten a trigger job on my XD, I no longer have the annoying pre-travel of the trigger.

SO! Do you know of a good gunsmith that's in the Tomball or general NW Houston area who might be able to get rid of some of that trigger pre-travel?

I haven't bought the CZ yet because I would want to know that there's hope for the trigger first.
PPM
(Pistol Packin' Momma)
Otherwise known as "Dickson"
Thunder Tactical Shooters

quidni

Re: Gunsmith in N. Houston area?

Post by quidni »

Not Houston, but....

We were at one of our favorite shops this afternoon and I asked the gunsmith (who's excellent with trigger jobs, BTW) if the CZ trigger could be modified the way you're wanting. His one-word answer, "No." Apparently it's set up that way deliberately. I'm guessing (and may be totally wrong, wouldn't surprise me) that it's part of the "half-cock" mode.

It's never bothered me, because it's only noticeable on the first round if I'm shooting it DA. And with subsequent rounds, the trigger pull is very short and easy. Now, the trigger can be smoothed out a bit - my son is having his worked on so it feels more like mine :grin: (I bought mine "pre-owned," his was NIB).

Another plus with the CZ - I put 80 rounds through it today shooting weak hand only, unsupported, and had no problems controlling it. (I even hit where I was shooting!) The only thing I want to change on mine is to add an ambi safety.
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

Topic author
PPM

Post by PPM »

GREAT information, quidni! Thanks! So, does the pretravel lessen after that first shot in SA mode?

ALSO...when the last shot's fired, does the slide stay back?

You said "(I even hit where I was shooting!)" That's a really GOOD thing! ;-)
PPM
(Pistol Packin' Momma)
Otherwise known as "Dickson"
Thunder Tactical Shooters

quidni

Post by quidni »

PPM wrote:GREAT information, quidni! Thanks! So, does the pretravel lessen after that first shot in SA mode?
Quite a bit, yes.

You can download the CZ 75 Instruction Manual directly from CZ-USA. This might help you decide whether the pistol really is what you're looking for or not. There's also the CZ Forum which has a lot of good info.

And spare mags can be gotten pretty cheaply through CDNN Sports.
ALSO...when the last shot's fired, does the slide stay back?
Yep!
You said "(I even hit where I was shooting!)" That's a really GOOD thing! ;-)
With my left hand, it's more than GOOD, it's a MIRACLE! Can't boast that I was shooting the X out of the 10 ring with every shot, though ;-). My target was a box that someone had left at the range - a little bit narrower and a bit longer than a human torso, & full of holes from prior shooters. But shooting left handed & more often than not just "pointing and shooting" (I'm strongly right eye dominant - hard to use the sights properly when shooting left handed!) I still was able to keep most of the shots within center of mass. :woohoo

Now that I know I can hit the broad side of a barn, left handed, without having to be inside the barn :oops: I can practice & fine-tune it. My son's an ambidextrous shooter, & I appreciate the ability.

Seriously - I recognize that it's not the ideal gun for everyone, but the more I shoot mine, the better I like it.
TSRA / NRA
KA5RLA
All guns have at least two safeties. One's digital, one's cognitive. In other words - keep the digit off the trigger until ready to fire, and THINK. Some guns also have mechanical safeties on top of those. But if the first two don't work, the mechanical ones aren't guaranteed. - me

Return to “Ladies”