Concealment holster for my daughter?

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
CWOOD
Posts in topic: 1

Concealment holster for my daughter?

Post by CWOOD »

My middle daughter just took her CHL course (100 on written, 241/250 shooting) and is now thinking ahead about concealed carry.

I got her a Glock 17 to learn on with a OWB slide holster to use to learn how to shoot and and occasional IDPA match. While this has proven to be an excellent combo for learning, competition, and carry 'at the ranch', it probably won't be the best fit for everyday concealed carry for her. She likes the Glock frame and function and is leaning toward the more compact Glock 19 or even the Glock 26.

I have recommended a tuckable IWB holster for every day carry, which she could use with a concealment garment without tucking and then could use the tucking feature when a cover garment is not practical. I have also suggested a Kramer confident shirt holster for times when EXTRA discretion is required...and she is not wearing a form fitting top.

For other times I have suggested carry friendly fanny packs and purses.

Her work environment requires that she wear slacks and she routinely wears jeans/slacks at most other times. She does occasionally do the dress up thing and I know that is a whole new obstacle.

What I am looking for here is some specific brand recommendations from you ladies who have had to deal with these issues all the time.

What selections should I recommend to her? Other than coming to this forum herself...which I have.

Thanks so much for the help.

CompVest

Re: Concealment holster for my daughter?

Post by CompVest »

Well am partial to Comp-Tac for my IWB. I personally carry primarily in my purse. I use an off the shelf purse with multiple pockets. One is dedicated to the gun and the gun is kept in a pocket holster. This keeps it in place and ready to draw. I carry on my person in an OWB leather holster made for me by Tucker Gun Leather. He extended the leather sweat guard back up to cover the entire grip. This keeps all parts of the gun from rubbing on me or my clothes. It is a pancake style. This style fits so close to my body that it is like skin.

I have tried the belly band but it is too much like a girdle! Ankle and thigh holster are a great option as well but do require dressing around.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

CompVest wrote:Well am partial to Comp-Tac for my IWB. I personally carry primarily in my purse. I use an off the shelf purse with multiple pockets. One is dedicated to the gun and the gun is kept in a pocket holster. This keeps it in place and ready to draw. I carry on my person in an OWB leather holster made for me by Tucker Gun Leather. He extended the leather sweat guard back up to cover the entire grip. This keeps all parts of the gun from rubbing on me or my clothes. It is a pancake style. This style fits so close to my body that it is like skin.

I have tried the belly band but it is too much like a girdle! Ankle and thigh holster are a great option as well but do require dressing around.
:iagree:

After taking CompVest's class at the chlforum day at PSC, I got an off the shelf cross body purse that has an entire pocket for the gun very much like hers. Normally, I'm carrying a Taurus PT111. A lot depends on her frame too, I think. I'm a heavy woman and IWB is out of the question for me. On days when I don't want to use a purse, I carry in a DeSantis leather OWB holster, but I run the belt on the outside of holster rather than behind it. That way, when I cinch up the belt, it pulls the gun in close.

My sister in law has been trying the belly band, but she really doesn't like it at all. She finds it hot and uncomfortable. But some women swear by it.

She'll probably end up with a lot of holsters that she uses for different occasions. Holsters (and guns to some extent) are like women's shoes. You have to have the right one for what you're wearing. :rolll

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

TLynnHughes wrote:She'll probably end up with a lot of holsters that she uses for different occasions. Holsters (and guns to some extent) are like women's shoes. You have to have the right one for what you're wearing.
Forgiving me for intruding, but I couldn't help commenting... This phenomenon is not confined to ladies only. Most of us wind up buying multiple holsters/bags/whatever until we find the ones that work best with our clothing choices. Probably every forum member here winds up buying at least 2 or 3 holsters for every gun he/she owns.

My wife defaults to one of these every day.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

MrsFosforos

Post by MrsFosforos »

I've been using Comp-tac OWB paddle holsters for practing at the range but wanted something more concealable.

I just received their 2 o'clock IWB holster for a full sized M&P and a commander sized 1911. I've tried a variety of leather holsters, but I like the retention offered by the comp-tacs better (no suprirse there). The part that did surprise me -- is these are even more comfortable to use than I would have ever expected - and they don't poke or gouge me anywhere.

I've become a Comp-tac junky.

Return to “Ladies”