First time lady shooters. WOW!

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
MoJo
Posts in topic: 2

First time lady shooters. WOW!

Post by MoJo »

Yesterday (3/27) the Citizen's Police Academy in Jefferson County had their firearms class. There were several first time woman shooters in the class. They all did amazingly well! One lady I was helping had never fired a gun in her life, she put her first shot dead center of the dot used as an aiming point! She then proceeded to completely eradicate the aiming point. Several other first timers did similarly. This was accomplished after only two hours of classroom instruction on Thursday night!

A good foundation in the basics is important to success as these shooters demonstrated.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

TLynnHughes

Re: First time lady shooters. WOW!

Post by TLynnHughes »

When I went through the Citizen's Police Academy here, at our graduation, the instructor indicated that this was the fifth class she had taught. In each and every one of her classes, a female won the Top Shooter award and about half of them had never shot a gun before. It makes me wonder about things that might make women better beginners, aside from beginner's luck.

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

Beiruty
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Beiruty »

First time I hear that Citzens Police Academy, Shooting Classes are provided :eek6

I am sure our city does not!
Beiruty,
United we stand, dispersed we falter
2014: NRA Endowment lifetime member

Topic author
MoJo

Post by MoJo »

TLynnHughes wrote:When I went through the Citizen's Police Academy here, at our graduation, the instructor indicated that this was the fifth class she had taught. In each and every one of her classes, a female won the Top Shooter award and about half of them had never shot a gun before. It makes me wonder about things that might make women better beginners, aside from beginner's luck.

T.
TLynn,

The majority of women come into shooting as adults it seems. They aren't full of preconceived ideas of how to shoot borne from years of misinformation and reading gun rags. Believe me, I'd rather teach 20 women at a time to shoot than to try to "unteach" one good ole boy who knows it all. Not knocking my gender but, women are just easier to teach to shoot and most are eager to learn.
"To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
George Mason
Texas and Louisiana CHL Instructor, NRA Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection and Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

MoJo wrote:Believe me, I'd rather teach 20 women at a time to shoot than to try to "unteach" one good ole boy who knows it all. Not knocking my gender but, women are just easier to teach to shoot and most are eager to learn.
That's been my experience too. The last guy I tried to teach to shoot would not embed the 4 Rules into his head, and at the end of the day, swept me across my midsection with a loaded and cocked .44 magnum - and his own wife and my son were behind me. I finally ratcheted up the voice just a tad and admonished him for it, and without any shame or apology, he said, "It's OK, I had my finger off the trigger." That ended his day at the range.

:grumble

His wife, on the other hand, was a delight to teach, she shot well, and she was scrupulous about the 4 Rules.

And the whole afternoon, he was talking down to his wife about her shooting ability like she wasn't getting it, when he was the one who wasn't getting it. I think it was a cultural thing. They are both young (the occasion was his 21st birthday) first generation immigrants from Latin American countries, and I think there was a good deal of cultural sexism on display.

At the end of the day, the wife wanted to buy a Glock 19; but her husband is an idiot, and they are probably better off without one until the husband matures a bit.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

AJ80

Post by AJ80 »

Guys seem to have the pride issue often and it makes them unteachable.
I'm a guy, so I know the pride issue well. It's a sin I've had to deal with on occasion.

I don't claim to know if women often have the pride issue or not, but from what I've heard, it seems a lot less prevalent for women than it does for guys.

TLynnHughes

Post by TLynnHughes »

AJ80 wrote:Guys seem to have the pride issue often and it makes them unteachable.
I'm a guy, so I know the pride issue well. It's a sin I've had to deal with on occasion.

I don't claim to know if women often have the pride issue or not, but from what I've heard, it seems a lot less prevalent for women than it does for guys.
I would say that is probably true, especially if it's NOT their significant other that's trying to do the teaching. At least for me...it is very difficult for me to be in a position where I think I look stupid or incompetent to my husband. :coolgleamA:

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

Return to “Ladies”