Newbie Here

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Texas PI Mom
Posts in topic: 3

Newbie Here

Post by Texas PI Mom »

Don't know if there's an official place to introduce myself or not.....but this looked like a good place to start. I'm a licensed private investigator and soon to be licensed private process server in the Central Texas area. Been looking forward to getting my CHL but also putting it off until I could afford a good gun. Well, last week I won first prize in my son's FFA raffle and that prize is $500 to our local hardware/gun store to buy a gun at cost plus 10%! :clapping:

After talking with some other PI friends and some folks that carry, I think I've settled on the Smith & Wesson 642 Airweight, .38+P revolver.
http://www.snubnose.info/docs/m642.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Any reviews here on this gun?

Taking the next CHL class that Parnell McNamara is giving....still waiting to hear back on when that is. I have a friend that will let me use their semi for the class/test. Looking forward to reading and learning from you all here.

USA1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Newbie Here

Post by USA1 »

Welcome to the forum Texas PI Mom :tiphat:

There's a section to "officially" introduce yourself here

Congratulations on the prize money :cheers2: and deciding to pursue your CHL. :txflag:

The Smith 642 is a great gun. It's lightweight, easy to use, easy to maintain, and easy to conceal.
I, and many others here own and carry that exact same gun.
Mine lives in my front pocket nestled securely in a Galco Pocket Holster. ;-)

One bit of advice though..You should probably borrow or rent one first to make sure it's the right gun for you. It does have a fairly stiff kick to it and the trigger is heavy. Also, it does require plenty of range time to get proficient with using the sights.

Once you overcome those few things, you'll be amazed at how accurate you can become when shooting longer distances.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

I agree with USA1's assessment of the Smith 642. Not a fun gun to shoot for an extended period of time for a high round count but a nice gun for carry and shoot for a hundred rounds at any one time.
Women on the DRAW – drill, revise, attain, win
Coached Practice Sessions for Women

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

Texas PI Mom, I added you to the Ladies Group so you can post in the "Ladies Only" forum.

Hoi Polloi

Post by Hoi Polloi »

Welcome!
Pray as though everything depended on God. Work as though everything depended on you. -St. Augustine
We are reformers in Spring and Summer; in Autumn and Winter we stand by the old;
reformers in the morning, conservers at night. - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Topic author
Texas PI Mom

Post by Texas PI Mom »

CompVest wrote:Texas PI Mom, I added you to the Ladies Group so you can post in the "Ladies Only" forum.
Thanks! Will check it out. ;)

cbunt1

Post by cbunt1 »

Congrats and welcome to the forum.

I agree that the 642 can be a handful...but it can also be a very pleasant gun to carry and shoot--it all depends on how comfortable you are with it, and how you load it up.

If get a chance to shoot one and don't like the 642, don't completely rule out other J-Frame models--the weight of a steel model makes it shoot very differently. Many of us here have a J-Frame of one variety or another (I'd say most, but I'd hate to speak out of turn).

If I had to pick only one gun for a carry piece, it'd be my J-Frame hands down...it's just so easy to carry, shoot, and it's versatile.

If it helps to know this, my mother also prefers her Mod.60 J-Frame to anything else she's shot and/or carried...she's not a big woman, and handles it quite well. I don't think you'd be disappointed in a similar model.
American by birth, Texan by the grace of God!

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

I like my Model 60 and it is fine to shoot. I don't like the feather weight revolvers. There isn't anything to eat up any of the recoil except your hand and arm. That said any of the small revolvers are a good carry choice. It is all a personal preference.

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

I'm with CompVest.

I carry a S&W 642 in my purse. But I don't take it out to the range for fun! My on-body carry is usually a Glock 26.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

hangfour

Post by hangfour »

Welcome ... I carry a S&W 637 (a similar gun) when I need a small gun for concealment. Like others have said it does take some practice to shoot accurately but with +P ammo it gets the job done nicely. I have several other pistols which I use for practice on the range as the smaller pistol does a job on my hand after about 50 rounds. Most often I carry a Kimber CDPII pro (a 45 caliber 1911 type pistol but lighter and easier to conceal) which I find more comforting than my S&W snub-nose. Deciding what to carry is more complicated that I first thought as it involves dress, time to put into action, safety, etc. etc. etc. I bet you will end up with several carry pistols. ;-)
There is an afterlife - what we do here matters!
Kahr pm9 (mama-bear)
Kimber pro CDP II (papa-bear)
S&W 38 special airweight (baby-bear)

A-R

Post by A-R »

Welcome PI Mom, what part of Central Texas?

S&W 642 is a great gun. Can be a bit difficult to shoot, but not unlearnable. Just takes some practice. I own a similar Airweight S&W J-frame revolver and couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with it until I hunkered down and just put round upon round down range with it, worked on grip (I use a different grip for this small revolver than for my larger semi-auto guns) and I'm now very comfortable being able to shoot it accurately under pressure.

I highly recommend Mika's pocket holsters if you plan to pocket carry http://www.frontiernet.net/~akim/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Best pocket holster I've found and especially good for small revolvers

Of course, if you're planning to mainly carry this gun on your belt or in a handbag you might prefer the heavier snubnose revolvers that some of the other members have mentioned - S&W 60, 649 etc. The heavier weight of these all-steel guns will make them a bit easier to shoot (and many of them also have the ability to fire the much more lethal .357 Magnum cartridge). I have an older 1960s vintage all-steel J-frame revolver and it is more pleasant to shoot than the Airweights (but part of this is also because it has a smoother (IMHO) old-style S&W firing system. The steel guns can also be pocket carried, but not quite as easily or comfortably as the lighter aluminum Airweight guns.

Lots of great choices out there. But you can't go wrong with a J-frame Smith & Wesson.

Topic author
Texas PI Mom

Post by Texas PI Mom »

Austinrealtor,
Not far from you. I'm in the Waco area. ;)

Thank you all so much for your comments and suggestions!

Return to “Ladies”