Picked her up yesterday!

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
Texas PI Mom
Posts in topic: 6

Picked her up yesterday!

Post by Texas PI Mom »

Since I already knew what I wanted, I was in and out in about 20 minutes. I went with the S&W 642. Looking forward to some practice time today (hopefully) and learning all about her!

TLynnHughes
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Picked her up yesterday!

Post by TLynnHughes »

Congrats! I hope it's every thing your heart desires. As usual, we will be anticipating a full range report. :thumbs2:

T.
Women's Program Match Director
PSC Shooting Club, Inc.

"I would like to see every woman know how to handle firearms as naturally as they know how to handle babies." -- Annie Oakley

Topic author
Texas PI Mom

Post by Texas PI Mom »

Will do. I still can't believe I walked out of there with the gun and a box of ammo and only spent $40. :hurry:
I won the first prize in my son's FFA raffle and it was $500 towards the gun of my choice. Sa-weeeeeeeet!!!

USA1

Post by USA1 »

Nice!

You'll want to have a high, firm grip when firing to manage the recoil.
Also, bring home some empty casings from the range. That way you can load the empty cartridges into the gun to practice with the trigger and build strength in your finger.

When my mother first shot her 642, she could only pull the trigger a few times before getting tired so she did a lot of dry firing at home to build up her finger strength. Now she can shoot 50+ rounds easily.
Glock Armorer - S&W M&P Armorer

Topic author
Texas PI Mom

Post by Texas PI Mom »

USA1 wrote:Nice!

You'll want to have a high, firm grip when firing to manage the recoil.
Also, bring home some empty casings from the range. That way you can load the empty cartridges into the gun to practice with the trigger and build strength in your finger.

When my mother first shot her 642, she could only pull the trigger a few times before getting tired so she did a lot of dry firing at home to build up her finger strength. Now she can shoot 50+ rounds easily.
I have A LOT to learn. My teenage son is dying to just go out to the farm with me and me practice today. But my gut tells me to wait until I have someone with me/us and learn it the RIGHT and safe way. Waiting to hear from a friend on when he can have some time with us. Good to know about that "dry firing" practice, too. Thanks!

Topic author
Texas PI Mom

Post by Texas PI Mom »

Well, looks like we'll both get our way. Just got a call for cookout at the farm for lunch and my father-in-law will be there. Help....at my fingertips. ;) Wish me luck.

Topic author
Texas PI Mom

Post by Texas PI Mom »

Alright. First gun practice.
NOTE TO SELF: Wadded up cotton balls don't cut it. Get proper ear protection.

And ya'll weren't kidding about the umph in this little sucker. Not terribly comfy for extended practice. I didn't do extensive practice for that very reason. I know it will get easier and easier the more time I spent with it. My father-in-law is going to help me set up a good practice area at my Grandpa-in-law's farm across the street from where I live. Close. Free. =)

Haven't figured out the insert image thing on here or I'd post the pic of my target. My son made a decent little practice target out of an old pizza box. I didn't do too badly. I was one of the better ones that fired it today and I haven't shot in 10+ years. I need lots of practice, though, aiming and staying steady through the whole firing. Lots of practice.

Off to look at better targets. Look forward to next weekend going to the range with a friend.

cbucher

Post by cbucher »

Congrats on the new pistol. Hogue makes a rubber grip that makes the gun alot more comfortable to shoot. My wife said it made a big difference.
If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun. – The Dalai Lama

Topic author
Texas PI Mom

Post by Texas PI Mom »

cbucher wrote:Congrats on the new pistol. Hogue makes a rubber grip that makes the gun alot more comfortable to shoot. My wife said it made a big difference.
THAT would be nice! Will look into it. Thanks!

Return to “Ladies”