Ladies Concealment Compression Shorts

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
tperez
Posts in topic: 4

Ladies Concealment Compression Shorts

Post by tperez »

Good morning -

I am a newbie to the forum as well as concealed carry. I just received my plastic last Thursday!! When my husband brought up that he wanted me to be trained and carry, I told him that I would do so but only carry in my purse because I didn't feel comfortable carrying on my body. Now it's time to eat my words! We trained for almost a year before I took my test and since I'm much more comfortable, I would like to carry on my body. I've seen the compression shorts online and read a few reviews but I wanted to see if any of the ladies in here use them and what they thought before I break down and buy a pair. And any other options that you can recommend that I start researching? I'm a full-time college student going back after 20 years so I know that I can't use the shorts on the days I go to school (too hard to reholster). I'll need something hard that I can take off and put back on easily in my vehicle. I have both a Ruger LCP and a S&W M&P Shield 9mm. My husband is LEO and has been for over 25 yrs. We've been together just over 2 years, which is why I'm getting this now instead of 20 years ago. He's giving all sorts of advice on carry but, let's face it, our curves are not in the same place!

On a separate note, my husband found your forum last week and we are both totally hooked!! There is some great information here and I can't wait to learn more!

Songbird

Re: Ladies Concealment Compression Shorts

Post by Songbird »

Welcome! I've not had any experience with the compression shorts. I will say that I've found that carrying at 3:00 OWB is my favorite and most used method of carry. And I was surprised by that. I am a girl, with curves, and I have no trouble concealing a Walther PPS comfortably. The difference was a really good holster AND belt. It's pretty convenient for holstering and unholstering as well (although I'm a teacher, so there's none of that during the workweek. Can't even have the weapon in my car. :mad5 ). Good luck with your search for the right fit and method. And enjoy your time here. It's a fantastic place to learn. I'm very grateful for all the help I've received and the respectful manner in which it has been given! :tiphat:

Edited to add: I can tell you that my husband bought one of the compression tank top shirts and they are VERY hot. He said there is no air circulation at all.
Last edited by Songbird on Sun Jan 13, 2013 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

Songbird

Post by Songbird »

Woohoo! Just noticed that was post 200! I'm a "senior" member now. :clapping:
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 2

Post by SewTexas »

Welcome tperez,
I've not tried the compression shorts, I've thought about them though, there was/is a board on pintrest with a gal who uses them with skirts and dresses...might be interesting in the summer.

I do carry in my purse occasionally, esp in the summer when I wear my sun dresses and skirts

I carry an LCP, I use a kusiak holster, it's wonderful, it has an extra slot for another magazine, it's perfect. Esp for a small shape like mine.

BTW: congrats Songbird :hurry:
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

WildBill
Posts in topic: 1

Post by WildBill »

tperez wrote:Good morning -
Good morning tperez and welcome to the forum! I can't help with your question, but I seems that you have already received some good suggestions.
NRA Endowment Member

Longhorn-breeder

Post by Longhorn-breeder »

My previous carry was a Ruger LCR, in a N82 IWB at between 3&4 o clock had no issues with it. I am moving up to a XDM .40 and planning to go to a IWB/OWB convert able from Hopp Custom leather. I think that wo
I'll be much more versatile.
Longhorn-breeder
Central TX

Songbird

Post by Songbird »

Longhorn-breeder wrote:My previous carry was a Ruger LCR, in a N82 IWB at between 3&4 o clock had no issues with it. I am moving up to a XDM .40 and planning to go to a IWB/OWB convert able from Hopp Custom leather. I think that wo
I'll be much more versatile.
My IWB/OWB rig is from Hopp. I can't say enough good things about this guy. His workmanship is flawless, and he's fantastic to work with. I bought the holster as well as a belt from him. It fits me so well I almost don't know it's there.
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

Topic author
tperez

Post by tperez »

Thank you all for the suggestions! Looks like I have a lot more research!
Songbird wrote: (although I'm a teacher, so there's none of that during the workweek. Can't even have the weapon in my car. :mad5 ).
I'm going to UH to earn my degree to teach elementary school. I had asked my firearms instructor about carrying to and from schools because of the law that says you cannot have a firearm within so many feet of the campus. He told me that I could because of the Castle Doctrine, that I had to make sure to leave it locked in the vehicle. Thank you for the clarification since I'll be traveling to different campuses starting in a couple of weeks for my pre-teaching observations.

And congrats on the 200th post!

Songbird

Post by Songbird »

tperez wrote:Thank you all for the suggestions! Looks like I have a lot more research!
Songbird wrote: (although I'm a teacher, so there's none of that during the workweek. Can't even have the weapon in my car. :mad5 ).
I'm going to UH to earn my degree to teach elementary school. I had asked my firearms instructor about carrying to and from schools because of the law that says you cannot have a firearm within so many feet of the campus. He told me that I could because of the Castle Doctrine, that I had to make sure to leave it locked in the vehicle. Thank you for the clarification since I'll be traveling to different campuses starting in a couple of weeks for my pre-teaching observations.

My instructor told me the same thing, but when I asked my administrator (yeah, I know, that was STOOPID!) he said no. And it is in the employee handbook, although not in 30.06 language. He did tell me after he said no, that if I were his sister or daughter he'd tell me to "do whatever I need to do to feel safe". I'm hoping in light of Newtown that our district will change its policies. I would think that as long as you aren't an employee of the district you're observing then you are ok to leave it locked in your vehicle.
CHL Class 1/13/12
Plastic in hand 2/27/12

jmra

Post by jmra »

tperez wrote:Thank you all for the suggestions! Looks like I have a lot more research!

I think I would be looking for a new firearms instructor. He is probably referring to MPA but even then he is still wrong.

leaving a firearm in your car at school:
-If you don't have a CHL, a loaded firearm within a 1000' of a school is a major fed no no.
-If you have a CHL there is not a legal issue concealed in the car, but if you are a school employee, you are most likely putting your employment at risk.
-if you are not an employee and have a CHL, concealed in a car is not an issue (in most cases).
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

jmra

Post by jmra »

Let me add real quickly;

About the only way to get caught with a gun in your car by Admin is by speaking of things we do not speak of, or if you are at a HS. HS campus' routinely bring in dogs to sniff out drugs (Student drivers and liberated teachers). Some of these dogs will hit on GP. If they hit on your car, you will be asked for consent to search your car. Refusal will more than likely mean you have parked in that parking lot for the last time.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
tperez

Post by tperez »

jmra wrote: leaving a firearm in your car at school:
-If you don't have a CHL, a loaded firearm within a 1000' of a school is a major fed no no.
-If you have a CHL there is not a legal issue concealed in the car, but if you are a school employee, you are most likely putting your employment at risk.
-if you are not an employee and have a CHL, concealed in a car is not an issue (in most cases).

Thank you for the clarification. For the next two years, I will fall under the last scenario ... I'll be observing and student teaching but for no pay. Hopefully by the time I'm employed by a school district, the law will be changed.

He also said just don't talk about it! And I'll be teaching elementary so there's no worry about parking lots there.

Thanks again!

Divided Attention

Post by Divided Attention »

Welcome! I am just the opposite, I am not comfortable carrying in my purse/off body, likely because I am a tomboy, and put my purse down and walk away. I am not a fan of carrying a purse. I carry on body 99.9% of the time. I would think the compression shorts would be nightmare during the summers. You would have to have several pairs - or I would.

I use a belly band with scrubs, skirts without belts, shorts without belts. I use a good belt and an inside the waistband holster all other times. I have not had to adjust my wardrobe much, but I wear jeans, tees/blouses most of the time. I am also not a fan of super low waisted pants. I am looking for a thigh holster for skirts and dresses.

I carry either M&P 9C, Sig P238, or a Colt snubby depending on my wardrobe. I do have a holster purse for those times where I don't have other options. I will also carry my 9 on body and my .380 in my purse as a BUG (back up gun). There are several ladies groups in the Houston area. Not sure about where you are, but they will have holster clinics from time to time where everyone brings what they got and everyone can try them out. Helps us "try before you buy" kinda thing, as most ladies hate to spend money on themselves, and holsters can add up. You don't want to drop $70 and find out it is not a good option.

Good luck!
Blessed be the LORD, my rock, who trains my hands for war, and my fingers for battle; Psalm 144:1-2
CHL - 2010; NRA RSO - 2011, NRA Chief RSO - 2014
NRA Pistol Instructor -2013, NRA Refuse To Be A Victim Instructor - 2015
Lifetime NRA Member - 2013

MommaBear

Post by MommaBear »

I have a Ruger LCP and just bought 2 holsters from Cheaper Than Dirt, they are made by Looper, especially for women. The names are silly, but one is the Flashbang, and the other is the Marilyn. (they were about $25 each). What I like about them is that they are molded plastic, shaped to fit your individual gun. They don't have every gun ever made, obviously, but all of their styles come for the LCP (with or without Crimson Trace). The Flashbang attaches to the middle front part of your bra (between the two cups) and you kind of tuck it under your underwires to help hold it in place. Believe it or not, it's pretty comfortable. The Marilyn goes on the side of your bra, almost under your armpit, and also attaches to your bra (same molded plastic). It is comfortable too, and they are both very concealable. Obviously, they are not the kind of holster to wear at the range, but they are great for everyday CC.

There are several youtube videos for both of these holsters, showing ladies drawing the weapon, etc.

Hope that's helpful for you!

Topic author
tperez

Post by tperez »

Thank you MommaBear!! I was thinking of the Flashbang too. I'll have to order one now.

I also decided against the compression shorts for the time being and picked up a belly band. Instead of using it to holster, I keep my LCP in my pocket holster and tuck it inside the belly band. I also picked up a new purse that I wear cross body since I can't carry at school so it's easy to leave in the car when I'm heading to class. It's also small enough that I tuck it beside me in between the seat and middle console with the zipper open for easy access while driving. I feel that I can get to it faster while driving, just in case.

Again, thanks to everyone for all the advice! And I would love to meet with a ladies group in the Houston area. I actually live in Sugar Land but don't mind driving to most areas of town.

Return to “Ladies”