Are you concerned about Lead exposure

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Running Arrow Bill
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Are you concerned about Lead exposure

Post by Running Arrow Bill »

jmra wrote:Concern about "lead exposure" is one of the reasons I carry a gun. :mrgreen:
Agree with your idea! I'd only be concerned about lead exposure if I caught one from a fast moving object... ;-)
Running Arrow Farm, LLC
Wellington, TX. 79095
longhorncattle2013@gmail.ocom
Registered Texas Longhorn Cattle

hangfour

Post by hangfour »

MotherBear wrote:I wash my hands well when I come off the range, and I make sure my clothes go in the laundry (as opposed to "eh, my jeans aren't really dirty, I can wear them again tomorrow"). When we clean guns we do it over packing paper and throw it away outside when we're done.
Ditto ... :iagree:
There is an afterlife - what we do here matters!
Kahr pm9 (mama-bear)
Kimber pro CDP II (papa-bear)
S&W 38 special airweight (baby-bear)

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

No. I just handle some bullets, shot and pellets from time to time. I don't eat 'em.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

I have quarterly blood work done for my diabetes. Roughly every six to nine months, I have him test for lead as well. My levels have always been quite low.

One reason I keep an eye on it is I handle it substantially more than a normal recreational shooter. First, I reload and that means I have tumbled tens of thousands of spent cases and deprimed a similar number of cases (primers also have lead).

Second, I cast my own bullets from lead.

Aside from the above-mentioned hand washing, I also change shoes before going into the house and hose the soles of my shoes off outside.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

AlaskanInTexas

Post by AlaskanInTexas »

I worry about this constantly. I am so paranoid about it that my kids think that the slightest exposure to lead will cause instant death. Then I think about how when I was a kid, I used to "chew" on lead sinkers all the time.

Piney

Post by Piney »

I'm not concerned about lead when shooting outdoors.

Indoors is a bit of a concern. I wear an old pair of shoes. I also wear a hat (helps prevent skin exposure :-) )As another said, I get home and toss the clothes in the washer.

Shooting indoors from the line--One's not downrange where the ventilation system is pulling the smoke and dust. One's not walking around downrange where all the dust settles.
But-- shooting an IDPA-style match indoors is a bit different. One is standing downrange where all the smoke/dust is headed. Walking around on the floor kicks up the dust as well--hence the old shoes.

I"ve had several folks I know decide to curtail their indoor shooting when testing showed they had slightly elevated lead levels (above the "background" levels). This being said, these folks were shooting 2-3 times a week at indoor matches.

Return to “Ladies”