Dumb female pockets!

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
lightbulb1988
Posts in topic: 3

Dumb female pockets!

Post by lightbulb1988 »

Hi!
So the boyfriend and I were discussing how useless women's pants pockets are! Some are so small that you can barely fit a 3" folding knife in them without exposing. :mad5 I hate how my boyfriend can fit a 4"-5" folding knife, a flashlight, phone, keys, wallet, and pocket gun in his pockets comfortably!!! Theres no way that us girl pants can do that!! I have to either carry a purse with everything listed above in it, or go with the essentials which is wallet, keys, phone, and hopefully my IWB carry if my pants allow.... :headscratch

My question is, have any of you maybe tried to deepen your pockets by sewing "extensions" or perhaps wear guy pants? Or how have you compensated or adapted your EDC to your wardrobe?

Look forward to your thoughts :mrgreen:

Longhorn-breeder
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Dumb female pockets!

Post by Longhorn-breeder »

I have tried some men's shorts and a pair of jeans both have bigger pockets:) love the deep pockets
Longhorn-breeder
Central TX

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

Check out the below, I have not watched it but it was suggested by a different channel I watch.

http://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

Topic author
lightbulb1988

Post by lightbulb1988 »

suthdj wrote:Check out the below, I have not watched it but it was suggested by a different channel I watch.

http://www.youtube.com/user/faliaphotography
I have seen her channel, and she does give some good reviews, but I haven't seen any videos about pockets. She does a lot of reviews on IWB, OWB holsters, knives, firearms, etc.

Topic author
lightbulb1988

Post by lightbulb1988 »

Longhorn-breeder wrote:I have tried some men's shorts and a pair of jeans both have bigger pockets:) love the deep pockets
How did you go about picking the style? I don't want them too baggy, unless I get some "tactical" pants for outdoor use.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

The biggest part of the reasoning behind the length of the pockets in our jeans and pants is the simple anatomy. Men are built larger than women, it's in the "genes". The size of our pockets have to fit the size of our jeans, think about width, you already have pockets pretty much all the way around the jean, but if you're in a size 8, that's still only so much around. the length of our pockets should be no longer than our fingertips, therefore the mass-produced jean is averaged. If the pockets are too deep you would be bending funny to reach. Look critically at the jean style you typically wear, is there really room for a bigger pocket? If you really want to carry everything in your pockets, maybe you need to consider a different style? cargos?

and there's the fashion pattern lesson of the day, I'm sorry if that was way more than you wanted to know, you actually asked something that I know a ton about :oops:
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

The pockets in my otherwise-favorite brand of jeans are pretty ridiculous. I carry a 3.5-ish-inch knife with a clip in one pocket, at a funny angle so it fits. I'm pretty sure I'd have lost it by now if not for the clip. Leatherman micra in the tiny pocket-in-a-pocket where it won't fall out. The other pocket has a cell phone. Back pocket has my iPod Touch. I have a carabiner for my keys, library cards, and a small keychain wallet (that way I don't go anywhere without my wallet and therefore my CHL). I have a small (AA) maglite in a nylon holster on my belt just behind 9 o'clock. And my M&P Shield goes at about 4 o'clock in a Crossbreed minituck. Anything else goes in the car or the diaper bag.

LikesShinyThings

Post by LikesShinyThings »

The pockets on women's pants really are insanely small. I almost wonder why they bother at all.

I have gotten men's jeans - they fit reasonably well (a little baggy around the waist, but so are most women's jeans, so meh on that), and I LOVE the pockets on them.
But because I have a lot of women's jeans, too, I seem to have standardized on belt carry for phone, multitool, and flashlight. Wallet (thin, minimal use) and keys fit in the pockets.
As for EDC - still working on getting that on-body, but when I do, these days I'm going to a Kangaroo Carry and looking at Pistol Wear under arm. It means I've changed from wearing t-shirts to wearing polos, to allow for easier draw in case of need, but it sure does fit nicely, and I don't have to re-purchase my pants all to an extra size or two larger than when I'm not carrying (if I were to do IWB, which would be my other method).

At least that's my thought for today. I might change come tomorrow. :smilelol5:
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

MrsFosforos

Post by MrsFosforos »

I started buying and wearing men's pants years ago. I have never carried a purse, so deeper pockets have always been a must for me.

Return to “Ladies”