Ladies, let's not get complacent with our purses...

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
CHLLady
Posts in topic: 4

Ladies, let's not get complacent with our purses...

Post by CHLLady »

While out shopping at Wally World tonight, I saw several women with their purses unzipped and wide open showing their wallets etc. An acquaintance had her wallet swiped due to the above.

I had a lady stop me once at WW, when we had just returned stateside and she warned me that she had been targeted by a man who followed her out to her car. She fought him over her purse. She said he was following her around the store and waited for her to exit. Ever since then, I've been more aware of my purse (later I purse carried.) and keep it closed.

My mom taught me a neat trick. Now that I don't have a baby to put in the basket, my purse sits there. My mom taught me to use the safety straps to wind through the handles of your purse and click them closed to keep someone from lifting your purse when your back is turned.

Anyway, I'm probably preaching to the choir here of all places, just thought I'd share. :thumbs2:
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Ladies, let's not get complacent with our purses...

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Funny you posted this just when you did. I was in the local grocery store a week or so ago and I noticed quite a few women leaving their purses while picking through produce. It stood out at me because so many were doing this.

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 3

Post by SewTexas »

because of a shoulder injury earlier this year I have just about changed completely to cross-body/messenger style purses. Now sure, if I'm just in and out of some place for a couple of mins, I might sling it on my shoulder, but for the most part, and esp in a grocery, it's across my body and zipped. I couldn't do that with the big bag style...I can't say that's what caused the problem, esp as guys often get the same injuries, but I'm sure it didn't help. (I have/had Frozen Shoulder AND a Bone Spur. I can now move my arm freely, can't go behind me like I could before, but it's better...it's joined the weather report joints though :roll: )
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

TexasGal
Posts in topic: 2

Post by TexasGal »

A popular method used by thieves is to have the least threatening one distract you while the other one lifts your wallet from your purse. Often, the victim does not even know it until she goes to pay at check out. Purses are targets. I will put my hand on my purse anytime I have to turn my head away to look for items on the shelf and I keep it zipped up.

On a related note; the theft of cell phones from purses and even right out of your hands is becoming common also.
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

jmra

Post by jmra »

My nieces have solved the purse issue by ditching it altogether. The niece who started it told the others to look at all the items in their purses. Anything they hadn't used in more than a week had to come out. It wasn't long before they were all carrying small wallets in their jeans.
Added benefit - their husbands could no longer hand them stuff and say, "Can you carry this in your purse for me?" :mrgreen:
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

I see women leave their fully open purses in shopping carts all the time.

On occasion, I've alerted a few about theft potential and one woman said thank you and the other said she was only away from it for a moment...

Is it my business to remind these folks about theft? No, not at all. However, the naivete drives me nuts.

LikesShinyThings

Post by LikesShinyThings »

I can't even begin to imagine placing my purse in a cart. And it is ALWAYS zipped shut unless I'm actively taking something out or putting something in. I also carry nothing of any value in my purse, except my gun on those occasions when I am carrying in my purse (and if my gun is in my purse, my purse stays slung cross-body). I know this is not a guarantee against theft, but it's what I can do without going totally paranoid.

I know I live in a small town, and theft from purses is rarer out here, but I just cannot believe the lack of concern some women show for their purses. I guess, coming from some bigger-city areas, I still haven't "gained" the small town mindset that there's no crime here. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. There's something serene about blissful ignorance. But I just can't live that way. Besides I'd feel mighty silly if I DIDN'T take precautions and I got robbed or worse.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

Topic author
CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

LikesShinyThings wrote:I can't even begin to imagine placing my purse in a cart. And it is ALWAYS zipped shut unless I'm actively taking something out or putting something in. I also carry nothing of any value in my purse, except my gun on those occasions when I am carrying in my purse (and if my gun is in my purse, my purse stays slung cross-body). I know this is not a guarantee against theft, but it's what I can do without going totally paranoid.

I know I live in a small town, and theft from purses is rarer out here, but I just cannot believe the lack of concern some women show for their purses. I guess, coming from some bigger-city areas, I still haven't "gained" the small town mindset that there's no crime here. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. There's something serene about blissful ignorance. But I just can't live that way. Besides I'd feel mighty silly if I DIDN'T take precautions and I got robbed or worse.

I could knock someone out with my purse. Lol. It would be nice to not to have a purse, but too much stuff to cut back. I still have to have the assortment of band aids etc. I have always been vigilant about my purse too many pick pockets overseas.

Theft of cell phone right out of your hand?! Ok, then. I've been trying to keep my cell separate from my purse just in case. I've been keeping it in my pocket, but I'm concerned about the EMF's radiating on my ovaries when I switch pockets. Half jokingly, I say this. If you read the iphone manual it says keep 1 inch away from your skull while in use. Just makes you wonder...
If you carry a gun, people call you paranoid. Nonsense! If you carry a gun, what do you have to be paranoid about?

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

CHLLady wrote:
LikesShinyThings wrote:I can't even begin to imagine placing my purse in a cart. And it is ALWAYS zipped shut unless I'm actively taking something out or putting something in. I also carry nothing of any value in my purse, except my gun on those occasions when I am carrying in my purse (and if my gun is in my purse, my purse stays slung cross-body). I know this is not a guarantee against theft, but it's what I can do without going totally paranoid.

I could knock someone out with my purse. Lol. It would be nice to not to have a purse, but too much stuff to cut back. I still have to have the assortment of band aids etc. I have always been vigilant about my purse too many pick pockets overseas.

Theft of cell phone right out of your hand?! Ok, then. I've been trying to keep my cell separate from my purse just in case. I've been keeping it in my pocket, but I'm concerned about the EMF's radiating on my ovaries when I switch pockets. Half jokingly, I say this. If you read the iphone manual it says keep 1 inch away from your skull while in use. Just makes you wonder...

There are studies connecting them to breast cancer...I've never thought about putting them in pockets and what that would do....the thing about the breast cancer is it's right against the skin, if it's in the pocket there is a layer of fabric, plus the organ (ovary, etc) is deeper....However, I've started carrying mine in a pocket in my purse more often, I must admit.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Topic author
CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

Oh yes, now I remember that about the breast cancer because women were putting them in their bras? During winter, it will be ok cuz I put it in my coat pocket with my keys. Summer will be more difficult though.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

CHLLady wrote:Oh yes, now I remember that about the breast cancer because women were putting them in their bras? During winter, it will be ok cuz I put it in my coat pocket with my keys. Summer will be more difficult though.

yeh, they found breast cancer in several teens and young women who were putting them in their bras. The tumors were right where they would put their phones. scary stuff.

As far as I know they haven't found anything about putting them in the jeans pockets, but I know I haven't been putting mine on my body anymore. given my genes, just don't need to increase my chances at all :shock:
~Tracy

LikesShinyThings

Post by LikesShinyThings »

CHLLady wrote:Oh yes, now I remember that about the breast cancer because women were putting them in their bras? During winter, it will be ok cuz I put it in my coat pocket with my keys. Summer will be more difficult though.
For good or ill, mine rides on my belt (belt holster). I guess if it causes cancer, I'll get it. Fortunately, there are several layers between me and it.
TSRA Life Member, NRA Benefactor Member, TX CHL

TexasGal

Post by TexasGal »

phones and radiation--some good tips:
http://environment.about.com/od/mobilep ... iation.htm

While purse carry for firearms has some serious disadvantages. Purse carry for phones is better for our health :biggrinjester:
The Only Bodyguard I Can Afford is Me
Texas LTC Instructor Cert
NRA Life Member

Topic author
CHLLady

Post by CHLLady »

Awesome link! Thank you for sharing it. I'm going to make my family read this article. :thumbs2:

tkennemer

Post by tkennemer »

I've used the "trick" of looping the safety strap through my purse while it sits in the grocery cart. However, I never leave it unattended. Also, before taking my groceries out of my cart to load into the trunk I put my purse in my car and lock it, then open the trunk. Thieves will grab your purse out of your cart while you're unloading your groceries.

Yesterday, hubby and I went to the gun show in Fort Worth. I bought a conceal carry purse, so it's even more important that I keep it secured at all times. Since I have this now, I'll most likely refrain from locking it into my car (where I can't get to it) while unloading groceries.

Return to “Ladies”