My plastic just can't come fast enough!

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
asbandr
Posts in topic: 7

My plastic just can't come fast enough!

Post by asbandr »

So I decided to walk to the city hall to pay my water bill today versus driving to get some exercise. It's only about a mile away in a small town. I don't have my chl in yet, so I was just carrying my knife. As I was walking there I noticed a shady looking guy watching me. I kept my eye on him and made a plan in case anything were to happen. Nothing did so I went on and paid my bill. On my way back I noticed the same guy, but noticed 3 other shady looking guys walking toward the corner I was headed to. I slowed down to see which way they would go, and they ended up turning down the same street I would need to go down to get home. I decided to take a different street that would separate us by a block and I'd be walking along the highway. I made it home with no issues.

Since qualifying and applying for my CHL I watch people more. I've always been cautious but now I imagine different scenarios and try to think of what I would do. I'm not saying that every guy I see is sketchy looking and out to harm me, but it's good to be cautious.

No offense to men at all, but I think to some degree women should have higher priority in CHL processing. Any person whether man or woman can get into a situation that requires the use of force, but men typically don't have predators like women do. I haven't seen a lot of news stories about men being followed, abducted, raped, murdered, and thrown in a dumpster. The chances of a man surviving a confrontation without a weapon is higher than a woman's simply due to the fact that it would likely be more physically even. Even a small man who attacks a woman would likely be stronger and able to easily over power her.

This is not a sexist thing at all, I think anyone who can responsibly carry should and I know waiting for a chl to come in is tormenting for anyone! But it's a scary world for a woman. We have kids to protect a lot of the time making flight more difficult, and I can't count the times I've been stared at, talked about, had inappropriate gestures towards me, and I'm not some beauty queen. I'm an average woman wearing sweats most of the time.
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

TomV
Posts in topic: 3

Re: My plastic just can't come fast enough!

Post by TomV »

Hands and eyes. Shoes and shirt, Hats and tats.

Still trying to learn it and practice it.

Good for you for being aware. (and getting out and walking.)
http://www.3atatraining.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Topic author
asbandr

Post by asbandr »

healthinsp wrote:Hands and eyes. Shoes and shirt, Hats and tats.

Ok, help me out, what's the first sentence mean? Lol, I feel dumb.

Thanks, I'm trying to get back into exercising some. I've had chronic knee pain for 2 years and back problems so I had gotten out of working out at all. I used to be an exercise enthusiast.
I'm a mom who demands action. Single action, double action, single/double action. I'm an equal action shooter.

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own palace, his goods are safe. - Luke 11:21

bayouhazard
Posts in topic: 1

Post by bayouhazard »

There is a little known trick to get your CHL 30 days sooner. Apply 30 days sooner. :mrgreen:

Best of luck!

RetNavy

Post by RetNavy »

asbandr wrote:
healthinsp wrote:Hands and eyes. Shoes and shirt, Hats and tats.

Ok, help me out, what's the first sentence mean? Lol, I feel dumb.

Thanks, I'm trying to get back into exercising some. I've had chronic knee pain for 2 years and back problems so I had gotten out of working out at all. I used to be an exercise enthusiast.
I'll take a guess at it
Hands and eyes,,, hands staying in pockets, eyes not breaking contact with you
shoes and shirt.... scruffy shoes, untied, billowing shirt open neck,
hats and tats..... ball cap backwards, slung low over brow if worn normally, tattoo's

just my guesses,
"Freedom itself was attacked this morning by a faceless coward. Freedom will be defended!"
-President George W. Bush, September 11, 2001

TomV

Post by TomV »

It's a scanning mnemonic for looking at people and really seeing them.

Look at their hands. Where are they? Can you see both of them? Eyes... thousand yard stare? Fixed on you or another target? Will they make eye contact with you?

Scan bottom up: Shoes, are they wearing shoes? Is the clothing appropriate for the weather? A hoodie in the summer?

Scan top town: Are they wearing a hat? Ball cap? Are there any noticeable tattoos? Skin color?

I picked it up from a power point slide show by Herb Martin. He does a class on avoiding criminal assaults. He is around here.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

healthinsp wrote:It's a scanning mnemonic for looking at people and really seeing them.

Look at their hands. Where are they? Can you see both of them? Eyes... thousand yard stare? Fixed on you or another target? Will they make eye contact with you?

Scan bottom up: Shoes, are they wearing shoes? Is the clothing appropriate for the weather? A hoodie in the summer?

Scan top town: Are they wearing a hat? Ball cap? Are there any noticeable tattoos? Skin color?

I picked it up from a power point slide show by Herb Martin. He does a class on avoiding criminal assaults. He is around here.

I wouldn't say "tatts" I mean, I'm as straight-laced as they come, but I know several people with alot of tattoos, and they wouldn't hurt a fly. They are strong Christians, have young children, and would be hurt if they knew they made people nervous.
what I would say....is where are the tatts? and what do they say/look like? do they make you nervous? ie. MS-13 -- run...ok, don't run, but get away from the area. same for tear drops around the eyes.

skin color? really?
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

jmra

Post by jmra »

asbandr wrote:No offense to men at all, but I think to some degree women should have higher priority in CHL processing. Any person whether man or woman can get into a situation that requires the use of force, but men typically don't have predators like women do. I haven't seen a lot of news stories about men being followed, abducted, raped, murdered, and thrown in a dumpster. The chances of a man surviving a confrontation without a weapon is higher than a woman's simply due to the fact that it would likely be more physically even. Even a small man who attacks a woman would likely be stronger and able to easily over power her.

This is not a sexist thing at all, I think anyone who can responsibly carry should and I know waiting for a chl to come in is tormenting for anyone! But it's a scary world for a woman. We have kids to protect a lot of the time making flight more difficult, and I can't count the times I've been stared at, talked about, had inappropriate gestures towards me, and I'm not some beauty queen. I'm an average woman wearing sweats most of the time.
I don't understand this statement at all. Unless you just turned 21, the only thing that has kept you from getting a CHL for however many years is you. So, now that you have finally decided to get a CHL, you should be given priority over all of the men in line simply because you are a woman? So, tell me how this would work. Do we only process male CHLs if there aren't any female CHLs to process? Do we setup quotas where we process 1 male CHL for every 5 female CHLs?
Let's apply the same logic to the workplace. Since males are the traditional providers and more females stay at home with the kids than males, we are only going to hire males until all the males have jobs and then we will hire females for what ever jobs are left.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
asbandr

Post by asbandr »

Sorry I offended anyone. And you're right, deep down I guess it doesn't make sense. It's just nerve wracking to feel helpless with such odds stacked against me. And yes, had I desired a chl at 21, that would have been the optimum time to get it, but it wasn't until over the past year that I really saw the necessity of getting it and then I had to wait for the finances to line up. Sorry again I offended anyone. I will try to use both sides of my brain before posting again. ;)

jmra

Post by jmra »

asbandr wrote:Sorry I offended anyone. And you're right, deep down I guess it doesn't make sense. It's just nerve wracking to feel helpless with such odds stacked against me. And yes, had I desired a chl at 21, that would have been the optimum time to get it, but it wasn't until over the past year that I really saw the necessity of getting it and then I had to wait for the finances to line up. Sorry again I offended anyone. I will try to use both sides of my brain before posting again. ;)
I wasn't offended at all, I just didn't understand the point you were trying to make. :tiphat:
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Topic author
asbandr

Post by asbandr »

Yeah, I really didn't think it through. Maybe I shouldn't carry... Lol. I feel stupid now.

jmra

Post by jmra »

asbandr wrote:Yeah, I really didn't think it through. Maybe I shouldn't carry... Lol. I feel stupid now.
I don't think you should feel that way at all, after all it is your God given right and you should exercise it. The fact that you realize the real threats that exist in society proves that you are definitely not "stupid" so let's put that kind of talk to rest right away.
Your plastic will be here before you know it. While you are waiting, practice carrying at home, get as familiar with your carry weapon as possible, and read up as much as you can. You already have a great start with a heightened level of situational awareness which means you're way ahead of most. :txflag:
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

TomV

Post by TomV »

SewTexas wrote:
healthinsp wrote:It's a scanning mnemonic for looking at people and really seeing them.

I wouldn't say "tatts" I mean, I'm as straight-laced as they come, but I know several people with alot of tattoos, and they wouldn't hurt a fly. They are strong Christians, have young children, and would be hurt if they knew they made people nervous.
what I would say....is where are the tatts? and what do they say/look like? do they make you nervous? ie. MS-13 -- run...ok, don't run, but get away from the area. same for tear drops around the eyes.

skin color? really?
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a link to the power point. I'll let you argue with him. I'm sure I'm not doing a good job of passing on his teachings.

I have ink. It doesn't show, and I never said a guy with tats is bad. I don't see how I even implied it. Tatts rhymes with hats. It helps remember the mnemonic.

Yes, skin color. A black man to a white person is just that. Black. (or brown). You ask another black man, and they do a much better job of recognizing different shades of skin tone. To me, it's really more about learning to see what you are looking at than staying in the habit of just scanning our surroundings and not seeing anything.

rotor

Post by rotor »

You are dealing with DPS, no offense to anyone on this board that is affiliated with them, but they are the most inefficient government agency that I have ever dealt with. My dealings with them for non CHL ( and non criminal issues) has been frustrating to say the least. Inaccurate info on their website, promises to respond to email in 2 business days not met and then when they are responding, providing the wrong information. I have had to go through my state senator's office to get a response from DPS and that was not accurate either. You will get your CHL plastic eventually. Sit tight. Perhaps they are just overworked and underfunded, I don't know. I think a call to the IRS would provide a more accurate answer than a DPS answer. Again, this is not CHL related as they deal with many other types of licenses. If someone from their office ever tells you it is in the mail (assuming you can reach someone), don't count on it. Somehow though that CHL plastic does get to you. Not so for other types of licenses. Takes them 3 weeks just to cash your check.

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

asbandr wrote:Sorry I offended anyone. And you're right, deep down I guess it doesn't make sense. It's just nerve wracking to feel helpless with such odds stacked against me.
Stacked against you? Drive your car and carry your gun. You can escape in a car and it offers a use of force as well as a barrier against attackers.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Return to “Ladies”