Advice for ladies

Issues important to the ladies, with men and women welcome.

Moderators: carlson1, Crossfire

Topic author
texas_suzie
Posts in topic: 2

Advice for ladies

Post by texas_suzie »

I cannot post for sale items just yet, but I would like advice before I eventually do.

In a private sale, how would you, as a woman by yourself, handle meeting someone to sell a firearm? Would you bring someone with you? Would you go ahead and meet them in a public place alone? What is your experience?

Don't ask what I'm selling. I'm not selling anything yet. I don't want to get banned. Too much good advice here.
5/29/2014 - CHL received!

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Advice for ladies

Post by troglodyte »

I'd meet in a public place, like a grocery store parking lot or such, in daylight hours. Far enough away from other cars to see 360 and be seen 360. Be aware of video cameras.

If it is a firearm, pick your place of exchange carefully as not to cause alarm or intentionally fail to conceal.

Another option if it is a firearm is to meet in the lobby of a gun range or in a gun store, with their permission.

Taking another person with you is always a good idea. I would prefer they follow me in their car and stay at a safe but convenient distance as not to spook the buyer. If you can't have someone with you, call a friend and have them on speaker phone before, during, and after the transaction, until you are safely away. Make sure they know exactly where the transaction is taking place.

It's sad we have to think this way but these are the times we live in. If it is something of little value then it may not require such extremes. For valuable items or firearms then take necessary precautions. All will probably go well but you can't be too careful.

With all of these I would communicate with the buyer to make sure they are aware of the situation and why you are doing it. They may wish to do the same.

And welcome to the forum :tiphat:

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

I've never bought or sold a used gun, but I think I'd probably ask my local range about meeting in their lobby. I suspect they'd be accommodating, no one would be alarmed at the sight of the gun, and the nature of the employees and patrons there would seem likely to discourage criminal behavior.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Parking lot of a local range. I would also ask a male friend to go with you. If you place the for sale add here it would also add some security. Most everyone on here are very decent people.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

carlson1 wrote:Parking lot of a local range. I would also ask a male friend to go with you. If you place the for sale add here it would also add some security. Most everyone on here are very decent people.
:iagree: This may make some ladies mad, but you shouldn't even consider meeting an unknown buyer without an armed male friend at your side. Even if the buyer is a woman, you can't be sure she doesn't have an accomplice if the intent is a hijacking.

Chas.

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

Ask them if they have a CHL & that is a good ID verifying Back ground check.
Depending on where you live in Mongomery county & where a buyer lives, my private range may be an option & would be glad to be there for both parties. Dotn know how far you will be interested in driving/
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
carlson1 wrote:Parking lot of a local range. I would also ask a male friend to go with you. If you place the for sale add here it would also add some security. Most everyone on here are very decent people.
:iagree: This may make some ladies mad, but you shouldn't even consider meeting an unknown buyer without an armed male friend at your side. Even if the buyer is a woman, you can't be sure she doesn't have an accomplice if the intent is a hijacking.

Chas.
I completely agree. Doesn't matter whether it is a gun, or a vacuum cleaner on Craigslist. No female should ever meet an unknown buyer without backup present.
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

:iagree:
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

MotherBear wrote:I've never bought or sold a used gun, but I think I'd probably ask my local range about meeting in their lobby. I suspect they'd be accommodating, no one would be alarmed at the sight of the gun, and the nature of the employees and patrons there would seem likely to discourage criminal behavior.
Most ranges don't want folks whipping out guns in the lobby. Perhaps on the firing line?
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Longhorn-breeder

Post by Longhorn-breeder »

I don't care if you are male or female don't go by yourself. A couple of years ago my husband met a woman at a shopping center about 200 yards from a police substation (unknown at the time) and the females pled had an accomplis who held a gun to his head. Try to find someplace very public.
Longhorn-breeder
Central TX

MotherBear

Post by MotherBear »

jbarn wrote:
MotherBear wrote:I've never bought or sold a used gun, but I think I'd probably ask my local range about meeting in their lobby. I suspect they'd be accommodating, no one would be alarmed at the sight of the gun, and the nature of the employees and patrons there would seem likely to discourage criminal behavior.
Most ranges don't want folks whipping out guns in the lobby. Perhaps on the firing line?
That could be better. I guess I have different interactions with my local range; I go as part of a ladies' group and the range employees have never given us any trouble about safely handling unloaded guns in the lobby/store. That may be because we have safety officers and instructors present and we're regular customers. I haven't been to a lot of ranges to know how most would react, though. To be safe, I'd probably call and ask permission first.

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

we've done several transactions on here and on craigslist, some have by nature had to occur at homes, others have occurred in parking lots, ALL have occurred with two adults and fire-power as backup :cool: you just never know
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

n5wd

Post by n5wd »

MotherBear wrote:
jbarn wrote:
That could be better. I guess I have different interactions with my local range; I go as part of a ladies' group and the range employees have never given us any trouble about safely handling unloaded guns in the lobby/store. That may be because we have safety officers and instructors present and we're regular customers. I haven't been to a lot of ranges to know how most would react, though. To be safe, I'd probably call and ask permission first.
If you call a local range, explain the circumstances, and they give you a thumbs down on the idea, I'd find a new gun range, and let your friends and shooting buddies know about it, as well. They do not deserve your business.

If possible, when buying a used gun, you should have the opportunity to test fire the weapon, and to have a gunsmith take a quick look at it. I've always thought that if I ever became a principal in a gun range, that would be one of the services that the range would offer at no charge to either party in the exchange. It would cost the range little, and would be such a fount of good will to the customers.
NRA-Life member, NRA Instructor, NRA RSO, TSRA member,
Vietnam (AF) Veteran -- Amateur Extra class amateur radio operator: N5WD

Email: CHL@centurylink.net

Javier730

Post by Javier730 »

Before you go make the sale have the send you a picture of their chl or drivers license. Always take a male friend who is armed. If you have a chl, you too should be armed. Meet at a very public location during the daytime. Ask them what they are driving and where they are parked. Look for the vehicle then text the license plates of the vehicle to someone you know who is not there but has been informed of the sale. Go with your instinct. If you feel something is odd call off the sale.
“Be ashamed to die until you have won some victory for humanity.”
― Horace Mann

jmra

Post by jmra »

Javier730 wrote:Before you go make the sale have the send you a picture of their chl or drivers license. Always take a male friend who is armed. If you have a chl, you too should be armed. Meet at a very public location during the daytime. Ask them what they are driving and where they are parked. Look for the vehicle then text the license plates of the vehicle to someone you know who is not there but has been informed of the sale. Go with your instinct. If you feel something is odd call off the sale.
I would never send someone a picture of my CHL or DL nor would I recommend anyone else do it.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Return to “Ladies”