Garland ISD: Teacher vehicle searches?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 2

Post by seamusTX »

Two words: security cameras.

I don't know if it's illegal to sprinkle smokeless powder around, but it could be.

- Jim

John R. Fuller
Posts in topic: 1

How about dangerous?

Post by John R. Fuller »

While this seems to be a silly prank at best, it could result in someone getting hurt really bad. If this is smokeless powder remember that it burns faster and just may cause just enough of a spark if ignited on hot pavement to set off the fumes from a leaky gas tank.

I am not gauranteeing those types of results, but common sense tells me that smokeless powder loose outside a casing or its container is not something to play with.
I am not the first or the last...

Liberty

Re: Garland ISD: Teacher vehicle searches?

Post by Liberty »

rx9790 wrote:
KD5NRH wrote:
ProudToCarry wrote:Great forum!

Noticed a couple of Garland-area teachers on-line...anyone know off top of their head if GISD runs the dogs past teachers' vehicles for firearms?
Sprinkle some Bullseye around the superintendent's car and find out.

:razz:
Thats an idea, walk around the lot sprinkling powder on tires and the ground. Dogs will go nuts and be useless.
Bong water is also fun!!
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

fiftycal wrote:The bill I think you are looking for is HB 1815. It reads;
SECTION 1.  Section 46.02, Penal Code, is amended by amending Subsection (a) and adding Subsections (a-1) and (a-2) to read as follows:
(a)  A person commits an offense if the person [he] intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun, illegal knife, or club if the person is not:
(1)  on the person's own premises or premises under the person's control; or
(2)  inside of or directly en route to a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control.
(a-1)  A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly carries on or about his or her person a handgun in a motor vehicle that is owned by the person or under the person's control at any time in which:
(1)  the handgun is in plain view; or
(2)  the person is:
(A)  engaged in criminal activity, other than a Class C misdemeanor that is a violation of a law or ordinance regulating traffic;
(B)  prohibited by law from possessing a firearm; or
(C)  a member of a criminal street gang, as defined by Section 71.01.
(a-2)  For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.
Yes, but that does not seem to be the law he was referring to by this statement
frizzen wrote:Also, effective sept 1 the general prohibition against guns on school premises will be replaced with a new law that defines prohibited behaviors rather than possesion.
What bill has a law which replaces 46.03?

I'll tell you, there ain't one. We were being nice rather than call Bologna. ;-)
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

barres

Re: How about dangerous?

Post by barres »

John R. Fuller wrote:While this seems to be a silly prank at best, it could result in someone getting hurt really bad. If this is smokeless powder remember that it burns faster and just may cause just enough of a spark if ignited on hot pavement to set off the fumes from a leaky gas tank.

I am not gauranteeing those types of results, but common sense tells me that smokeless powder loose outside a casing or its container is not something to play with.
So just toss around some empty (used) shell casings in the back of someone's pickup. I had a friend that worked for the local ISD "alternative education" center (for students who hadn't yet messed up enough to be behind bars), and a K-9 alerted on his truck because of some shotgun shell casings in the bed of his pickup from a skeet shoot the previous weekend. I do not know what would have happened if it had been a firearm and/or live ammo, because there was none present (though the teacher was a CHL holder).
Remember, in a life-or-death situation, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Barre

HankB

Re: How about dangerous?

Post by HankB »

John R. Fuller wrote: . . . If this is smokeless powder remember that it burns faster and just may cause just enough of a spark if ignited on hot pavement to set off the fumes from a leaky gas tank.
I disagree.

1.) Smokeless powder is not going to spontanously ignite no matter how hot the sun heats the pavement; 2.) Scattered powder grains are not going to cause a chain reaction - if some outside ignition source (like a spark) sets one off, you'll get one powder grain to burn, unless you've got a nearly solid layer of powder. 3.) In sufficient concentration to burn, gasoline fumes are far easier to ignite than powder. A spark that ignites an isolated powder grain is going to ignite the gasoline fumes first.
Original CHL: 2000: 56 day turnaround
1st renewal, 2004: 34 days
2nd renewal, 2008: 81 days
3rd renewal, 2013: 12 days

Topic author
ProudToCarry

Post by ProudToCarry »

stevie_d_64 wrote: I would certainly stress that anyone who works for, or has dealings that takes them to schools, that they get a supplementary securing device inside your vehicle to further demonstrate your intent to prevent "easy" access to any firearm you use for lawful purposes during your time other than at these schools or other restricted facilities where you park your vehicle...
Having had the same vehicle broken into twice while parked at school, I would certainly second this suggestion. (Fortunately, no firearms were stolen either time.)

frizzen
Posts in topic: 3

Post by frizzen »

hb 2112
Alferd Packers, America needs you.

frizzen

Post by frizzen »

Alferd Packers, America needs you.

para driver

Post by para driver »

ProudToCarry wrote:
stevie_d_64 wrote: Having had the same vehicle broken into twice while parked at school, I would certainly second this suggestion. (Fortunately, no firearms were stolen either time.)
now that would be a sticky report to file with local LEO...
Too bad your guns got stolen from your truck , when you parked the car behind your house one night..

fiftycal

Post by fiftycal »

Yes, but that does not seem to be the law he was referring to by this statement
frizzen wrote:Also, effective sept 1 the general prohibition against guns on school premises will be replaced with a new law that defines prohibited behaviors rather than possesion.
What bill has a law which replaces 46.03?

I'll tell you, there ain't one. We were being nice rather than call Bologna. ;-)[/quote]

Actually this bill HB 2112 is what he was talking about.

SECTION 1.  Section 37.125(a), Education Code, is amended to read as follows:
(a)  A person commits an offense if, in a manner intended to cause alarm or personal injury to another person or to damage school property, the person intentionally exhibits, uses, [by exhibiting, using,] or threatens [threatening] to exhibit or use a firearm:
(1)  in or on any property, including a parking lot, parking garage, or other parking area, that is owned by a private or public school; or
(2)  on[, interferes with the normal use of a building or portion of a campus or of] a school bus being used to transport children to or from school-sponsored activities of a private or public school.
SECTION 2.  This Act applies only to an offense committed on or after the effective date of this Act. An offense committed before the effective date of this Act is governed by the law in effect at the time the offense was committed, and the former law is continued in effect for that purpose. For the purposes of this section, an offense was committed before the effective date of this Act if any element of the offense occurred before that date.
SECTION 3.  This Act takes effect September 1, 2007.

NRA/TSRA signed off on the bill because it simply added the phrase "Intentionally" to existing law.

fiftycal

Post by fiftycal »

Having had the same vehicle broken into twice while parked at school, I would certainly second this suggestion. (Fortunately, no firearms were stolen either time.)[/quote]

now that would be a sticky report to file with local LEO...
Too bad your guns got stolen from your truck , when you parked the car behind your house one night..[/quote]

Why? It's not illegal to have guns on "school property", no matter what bogus signs are scattered about.

TxFire

Post by TxFire »

My wife teaches at a GISD school and has heard of no dog searches. She also does not YET(hopefully) have her CHL nor carry a firearm for her own reasons.

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

Liberty wrote:
rx9790 wrote:
KD5NRH wrote:
ProudToCarry wrote:Great forum!

Noticed a couple of Garland-area teachers on-line...anyone know off top of their head if GISD runs the dogs past teachers' vehicles for firearms?
Sprinkle some Bullseye around the superintendent's car and find out.

:razz:
Thats an idea, walk around the lot sprinkling powder on tires and the ground. Dogs will go nuts and be useless.
Bong water is also fun!!
Ummm....where you gonna get the bong water?? :roll:

And if anything teaches us...the VA Tech shootings, it might be good to have one...except they can fire you, if its against "company" policy to have one and you signed it as a term of employment its a no win

You have to weigh your options..and unfortunately the anti's and media would have a feeding frenzy if you as a teacher got busted with a firearm in your car....oooooh boy I could just see the headlines now!
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

Molon_labe wrote:
Ummm....where you gonna get the bong water?? :roll:
While I don't have any handy, most people wouldn't have a hard time finding a friend, co worker or relative to provide a supply. Lets just say everyone should do their own part on the war on drugs.
Molon_labe wrote: You have to weigh your options..and unfortunately the anti's and media would have a feeding frenzy if you as a teacher got busted with a firearm in your car....oooooh boy I could just see the headlines now!
I suppose it depends on the circumstances, the town and the school district. This is Texas, not New Jersey. Its not likely to grab any headlines around here. The last time an incident like this happened that I remember involved a student with ammo in his car. The student had been out hunting. but got caught up on zero tolerance. For the most part the media was pretty sympathetic.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”