Topic author
Dougmyers5
Posts in topic: 1

Police: Store owner subdues gun-wielding teen

Post by Dougmyers5 »

03:04 PM CDT on Sunday, July 22, 2007
By SCOTT GOLDSTEIN / The Dallas Morning News
sgoldstein@dallasnews.com

A Garland grocery store owner who was shot in the hand and stomach late Saturday night tackled his 16-year-old assailant and held him until officers arrived, police said.

Andy Mistry, 43, was recovering Sunday following surgery at Parkland Memorial Hospital, said his wife, Anila Mistry.

Mr. Mistry and his 18-year-old son were closing the A&M Food Store in the 300 block of South Barnes Drive about 11:45 p.m. when the teenager approached, Ms. Mistry said.

“They were ready to go home. They were about to leave and he just came in and said ‘Give me the money,’� Ms. Mistry said. “He stuck the gun out and started shooting it.

“He didn’t give any warning or nothing. He just started shooting. [Mr. Mistry] didn’t have no choice but to grab him,� Ms. Mistry said.

Police arrived a short time later and arrested the shooter, said Garland police spokesman Officer Joe Harn, who declined to identify him because he is a juvenile.

He was charged with aggravated robbery and was being held Sunday at the Dallas County juvenile detention center, he said.

The robbery was the first in the 16 years the family has owned the business, Ms. Mistry said.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 8282b.html
2be1-ask1
-----------------
DougMyers
NRA Endowed Life Member
CHL Issued June 2007
Member # 1567
http://www.texasopencarry.com/

srothstein
Posts in topic: 2

Post by srothstein »

They missed a charge. In addition to the robbery charge, they need to add an attempted capital murder charge also.
Steve Rothstein

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

aggravated robbery...hmmmmm

Maybe super sizing the charge to attempted murder might be in the future...

ehhhh, who knows...

All I know is if someone is shooting a gun at me...They are not shooting to wound...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

srothstein wrote:They missed a charge. In addition to the robbery charge, they need to add an attempted capital murder charge also.
That's exactly what I was thinking.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

phddan

Post by phddan »

“He didn’t give any warning or nothing. He just started shooting. [Mr. Mistry] didn’t have no choice but to grab him,� Ms. Mistry said.

Sure hope he recovers quickly and fully. Good on him for not giving up even when wounded.

Dan

rm9792

Post by rm9792 »

Where is the important info? What was he carrying and did it have the proper side sights?

KRM45

Post by KRM45 »

srothstein wrote:They missed a charge. In addition to the robbery charge, they need to add an attempted capital murder charge also.
Ag. robery is still a first degree felony and will be much easire to prove...

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

KRM45 wrote:
Ag. robery is still a first degree felony and will be much easire to prove...
But if you prove the agg. robbery charge, then all you need for the att. cap. murder is to show he shot the gun. It would seem pretty easy to me to get both charges filed and proven. And with the murder charge, it would be easier to get the court to certify it for an adult trial, I think.

Of course, I am not known for my compassion towards the deprived youth who are forced into a life of crime by their circumstances, so I will stack the charges when they are both this easy.
Steve Rothstein

longtooth

Post by longtooth »

& the preacher agrees.
Justice first.
Carry 24-7 or guess right.
CHL Instructor. http://www.pdtraining.us" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
NRA/TSRA Life Member - TFC Member #11

govnor

Post by govnor »

I heard this one on a radio show today. They were pointing out that it used to be if you handed over the money, the jerk would leave. Not anymore...they just open fire.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because hard men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."- George Orwell

NRA member!

TxFire

Post by TxFire »

.38 SPL, Victim shot through arm entering abdomen. Don't ask how I know. :grin:

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

See...thats when a "juvenile" should be classified as an adult

If the punk can consciously get a gun and start blasting...then he can suffer the same fate an adult would face

HOW THE HECK COULD THEY GET THE MONEY WHEN HE STARTED BLASTING AWAY

Stuff like this just burns me up! A 16 year old punk with a chip on his shoulder gets a illegal firearm and can kill an entire family, goes on a rampage...blasting away...but they still treat that punk like a kid

Question: In this case if you were two or three check out counters away and saw the situation unfolding would it be a safe bet that DF would have been warranted? Hell I bet after you drew on the kid and you yelled at him (before he started zinging rounds downrange) he probably would have begged for mercy
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Venus Pax

Post by Venus Pax »

Molon_labe wrote:heck I bet after you drew on the kid and you yelled at him (before he started zinging rounds downrange) he probably would have begged for mercy
I don't know if I would yell at him. The type of kid that would enter a store and start shooting is the type of kid that would quickly kill you before an adult offender would even have time to think about it. If I feel the need to pull my gun, I'm going to feel the need to squeeze the trigger. If he sees the gun, drops his, screams, and runs off, I'll hold my fire, but I'm not counting on a teen thug backing down.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

WarHawk-AVG

Post by WarHawk-AVG »

True...the freeking Nintendo thug generation has almost NO realization or responsibility for their actions...

Too much entitlement state mentality, and not enough boot in the butt when you screw up mentality
A sheepdog says "I will lead the way. I will set the highest standards. ...Your mission is to man the ramparts in this dark and desperate hour with honor and courage." - Lt. Col. Grossman
‘All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing’ - Edmond Burke

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

He stuck the gun out and started shooting it.

“He didn’t give any warning or nothing. He just started shooting.
Just give 'em what they want and you won't get hurt. If you fight back it will make things worse :roll:

In other news, a few days ago a store near Beltway 8 south and I-45, run by a friend of the family, got robbed by two armed BGs. The friend of the family had just left the store when the BGs came in. The 2 clerks weren't fast enough opening the register (they were shaky under the threat of being shot) and both got beaten badly in the face.
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”