Golfsmith Posting 30.0 & 30.07

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Mahzik
Posts in topic: 1

Golfsmith Posting 30.0 & 30.07

Post by Mahzik »

Yesterday, I went to Golfsmith on FM 1960 in Houston to use a gift certificate I won in a golf tournament last year. I was very disappointed to see they are now posted with both 30.06 and 30.07. I disarmed myselft and went in to get rid of the $75 gift card. After submitting their signs to Texas3006.com, I just went to Golfsmith's web site and sent them the message below. I felt they needed to know the direct economic impact of their decision.
I recently visited your retail location on FM 1960 W in the Houston area. I was very disappointed to see that Golfsmith has decided to prohibit both the open and concealed carrying of handguns in its stores. I recognize Golfsmith's right to prohibit licensed persons from exercising their constitutional right to protect themselves in your stores. However, I also believe such a policy is short-sighted and puts all of your customers at increased risk.

I have been a Golfsmith customer for over 20 years, buying everything from club components and even complete sets of clubs, drivers, clothing, golf balls and accessories. If I am not welcome with my licensed weapon in your stores, i will take my business elsewhere.

Also, for the past six or seven years, I have chaired an annual golf tournament hosting approximately 120 golfers. In the past, we have spent approximately $1,500 annually on Golfsmith gift cards for awards as well as other prizes for our longest drive and closest to the pin contests. I thought your corporate officers and board of directors should know that we will not be spending that money with Golfsmith anymore and will instead take that business to Edwin Watts or Golf Galaxy.

I hope that putting these policies in place was a knee-jerk reaction by Golfsmith to recent changes in Texas law allowing open carry and the irrational fear caused by the media regarding the changes despite all of the evidence to the contrary. It is my sincere hope that once the media hysteria has died down and their false concerns about open carry prove to be a non-event, that Golfsmith will take down the signs and earn my business once again.
Mahzik
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Solaris
Banned

Re: Golfsmith Posting 30.0 & 30.07

Post by Solaris »

Not a golfer, but I was surprised any place catering to sporting goods and mostly males, would post 30.06/07 signs.

rotor

Post by rotor »

Nice letter.

Surgeon

Post by Surgeon »

If memory serves me, Golfsmith is based out of People's Republic of Austin which may account in large degree for their policy.
I have no problem avoiding them as well because of this policy. Too bad on their part. Poor decision.
The military arsenal we will use to fight a World War IV ..... "stones" - Einstein

DevilDawg

Post by DevilDawg »

Solaris wrote:Not a golfer, but I was surprised any place catering to sporting goods and mostly males, would post 30.06/07 signs.
Play a couple rounds, then you will understand the danger golf poses to your calm. LOL.

TexasCajun

Post by TexasCajun »

Great reaching out to them. But probably a bit too wordy. And leading with the constitutional rights argument generally causes the uninitiated to ignore the rest of what you have to say.

My approach has been along the lines of: Texas has had licensed concealed carry for 20 years. In that time, concealed carries have not caused any problems. The enactment of the new open carry law (which limits openly carried handguns to the same reputable population segment) isn't likely to change these same law-abiding and respectful individuals into trouble-makers. So I'd respectfully ask that you reconsider your new policy that seeks to exclude people that have not, nor are likely to in the future, cause problems.
Opinions expressed are subject to change without notice.
NRA TSRA TFC CHL: 9/22/12, PSC Member: 10/2012

WildBill

Post by WildBill »

Surgeon wrote:If memory serves me, Golfsmith is based out of People's Republic of Austin which may account in large degree for their policy.
I have no problem avoiding them as well because of this policy. Too bad on their part. Poor decision.
Actually they started in New Jersey before relocating to Austin. Double whammy! ;-)
NRA Endowment Member

AJSully421

Post by AJSully421 »

"A golf course is a willful misuse of a perfectly good rifle range."
"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." - Ronald Reagan, 1964

30.06 signs only make criminals and terrorists safer.

NRA, LTC, School Safety, Armed Security, & Body Guard Instructor

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

^^^^^ I concur :iagree:
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

Soccerdad1995

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

Take your business to Academy instead. That way, gift card recipients can buy any golf paraphernalia they want, as well as a wider variety of other choices (camping, apparel, guns, etc).

donniet

Post by donniet »

I was in Plano Golfsmith last week. They had up only the 30.07, the 30.06 was not posted.
NRA ENDOWMENT
Plastic..many years ago

mikebass78
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mikebass78 »

I'm actually looking for a wedge or two. so I'll be in golfsmith and pga superatore today or tomorrow.. will see if any signs posted. I CC anyways. but I'll check for anyone interested.

golfsmith at Plano pkway
pga Plano and Frisco

treadlightly

Post by treadlightly »

This is understandable. It's human nature.

It's professional envy.

Handgunners can actually hit their targets. :evil2:

C-dub

Post by C-dub »

treadlightly wrote:This is understandable. It's human nature.

It's professional envy.

Handgunners can actually hit their targets. :evil2:
Ouch, but mostly true. Without realizing it, that is probably why I don't play golf any more and spend that time at the range. :thumbs2:
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

mikebass78
Posts in topic: 2

Post by mikebass78 »

mikebass78 wrote:I'm actually looking for a wedge or two. so I'll be in golfsmith and pga superatore today or tomorrow.. will see if any signs posted. I CC anyways. but I'll check for anyone interested.

golfsmith at Plano pkway
pga Plano and Frisco

went to look for some wedges, saturday...yep,sure enough....

Golfsmith Plano Pkway

Didn't have any good deals used wedges anyways, went across 75 to PGA Superstore, No signs AND I Scored some Vokeys for 24.99 each... :anamatedbanana

Didn't have any good deals used wedges anyways, went across 75 to PGA Superstore, No signs AND I Scored some Vokeys for 24.99 each... :anamatedbanana

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”