Do I have to keep my LTC card on my body?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
MommaBear
Posts in topic: 3

Do I have to keep my LTC card on my body?

Post by MommaBear »

OK, I know that I should always have my LTC card/ID on me, but I'm a girl. I don't carry my wallet in my pocket like you guys do.

I work at A&M, and sometimes I have to walk across campus to another building to pick something up. When this happens, my wallet and ID and LTC card are all in my purse in my desk drawer. I've never really thought about it before today (yeah campus carry :woohoo ).

When I'm not at work, and out and about in public while carrying, my purse is always with me. But at work it's different.

If an officer asks to see my ID, and it's sitting in my desk drawer, am I going to be in trouble? How understanding are they going to be? I guess the simple answer is to just put it in my pocket, but it seems like (moving it around from wallet to pocket) is a good way to lose it.

Thanks!

Kenneth77
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Do I have to keep my LTC card on my body?

Post by Kenneth77 »

If you are carry then yes but if not it's a toss up because if you get in the spot where you have to show your ID to an LEO and he runs your DL and see's you are LTC then he could give you a hard time about not showing the LTC first so if it were me i'd carry it at all times.
leeproductsonline.com

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

Here ya go:

GC §411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. If a license holder is
carrying a handgun on or about the license holder’s person when a magistrate or
a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license
holder shall display both the license holder’s driver’s license or identification
certificate issued by the department and the license holder’s handgun license.

I would think you'd always want your campus ID with you as well. I hope your drawer is locked.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

John Galt

Post by John Galt »

Kenneth77 wrote:If you are carry then yes but if not it's a toss up because if you get in the spot where you have to show your ID to an LEO and he runs your DL and see's you are LTC then he could give you a hard time about not showing the LTC first so if it were me i'd carry it at all times.
^ This ^

Teamless
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Teamless »

The law states that you have to provide the LTC and DL/ID
if you dont have your LTC on your person, when carrying, he may, as above, give you a hard time, but he could also cite you for not having it,

Could be worse if he arrests you for carrying with a permit. -- Not likely going to happen, but what happens if you get an officer who is against Campus Carry and he wants to make a statement?
League City, TX
Yankee born, but got to Texas as fast as I could! NRA / PSC / IANAL

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

Buy a wallet, put LTC in it, problem solved.

rogersinsel

Post by rogersinsel »

When I carry I always have my ID & CHL on my person. My wife's solution was to purchased a men's wallet with a removable bi-fold ID card holder. She uses that to hold both her DL/CHL in her purse in normal scenarios, but she can quickly find/remove it for those times she carries without her purse.

allisji

Post by allisji »

MommaBear wrote:OK, I know that I should always have my LTC card/ID on me, but I'm a girl. I don't carry my wallet in my pocket like you guys do.

I work at A&M, and sometimes I have to walk across campus to another building to pick something up. When this happens, my wallet and ID and LTC card are all in my purse in my desk drawer. I've never really thought about it before today (yeah campus carry :woohoo ).

When I'm not at work, and out and about in public while carrying, my purse is always with me. But at work it's different.

If an officer asks to see my ID, and it's sitting in my desk drawer, am I going to be in trouble? How understanding are they going to be? I guess the simple answer is to just put it in my pocket, but it seems like (moving it around from wallet to pocket) is a good way to lose it.

Thanks!
Question. And this is not meant to sound snarky or rude.

Do you carry your cell phone with you when you move from one building to the next? Maybe you leave it in your purse as well, but if you do carry it with you, they make the phone cases that have the card slots for your DL/credit card, etc. It might be a good place to keep your LTC if you tend to have a phone on you at all times.
LTC since 2015
I have contacted my state legislators urging support of Constitutional Carry Legislation HB 1927

Topic author
MommaBear

Post by MommaBear »

OK, I think y'all are right. I'd never really thought about it before this morning, but I think I do need to have it on me (just in case).

I'm going to look into the phone cases. Also, maybe a small keychain/ID holder would work. I just don't want to have too much crap in my pockets. It's hard enough to carry IWB without putting keys and a phone and a wallet in my pockets too.

And No, my desk drawer is not locked. Unfortunately it isn't the kind that locks. I really wish it did. I asked my boss about it when I started working here and he acted like I must be a paranoid freak.

(Of course, I'm the one carrying a gun, so maybe I am a paranoid freak!!!) :smilelol5:

vjallen75

Post by vjallen75 »

allisji wrote:Question. And this is not meant to sound snarky or rude.

Do you carry your cell phone with you when you move from one building to the next? Maybe you leave it in your purse as well, but if you do carry it with you, they make the phone cases that have the card slots for your DL/credit card, etc. It might be a good place to keep your LTC if you tend to have a phone on you at all times.
:iagree: I think this would be the best solution for you. I have honestly been contemplating doing this considering that most people don't go anywhere without their phone. I typically always have my phone and wallet with me unless I am not carrying.
Vence
NRA Member, EDC: FNS-9mm
I have contact my state rep., Jonathan Stickland, about supporting HB 560. Fine out who represents you, here.

JakeTheSnake

Post by JakeTheSnake »

Or a ID holder & lanyard. Hands free and no pockets needed.

dawgfishboy

Post by dawgfishboy »

maybe look into a spibelt? I use one for the gym and while cycling.

or maybe a spiband would work better?

TexasJohnBoy
Banned

Post by TexasJohnBoy »

I keep mine with me 100% of the time. I'm waiting for an officer to see the clips on me and ask me for my license just to mess with me (I've got a pretty good relationship with a couple of the cops on my campus, not first name but we recognize each other a bull about the weekends and such)
TSRA Member since 5/30/15; NRA Member since 10/31/14

lildave40

Post by lildave40 »

My wife uses one of these phone cases from amazon.
Attachments
61VUt8ovtpL._SL1000_.jpg

Jusme

Post by Jusme »

MommaBear wrote:OK, I think y'all are right. I'd never really thought about it before this morning, but I think I do need to have it on me (just in case).

I'm going to look into the phone cases. Also, maybe a small keychain/ID holder would work. I just don't want to have too much crap in my pockets. It's hard enough to carry IWB without putting keys and a phone and a wallet in my pockets too.

And No, my desk drawer is not locked. Unfortunately it isn't the kind that locks. I really wish it did. I asked my boss about it when I started working here and he acted like I must be a paranoid freak.

(Of course, I'm the one carrying a gun, so maybe I am a paranoid freak!!!) :smilelol5:

Being concerned about theft, does not make you paranoid, or a freak, it happens everyday. I know that the Aggie Code Of Honor forbids it, but a Code Of Honor means nothing to a criminal.

As for carrying your ID/LTC there are several options including a card carrier that slips over a belt, I have tried to find it but got busy, but a quick search should turn up something. My wife has a small wallet insert that holds her ID and 4 or 5 other cards, she just slips it into her back pocket when she doesn't want to carry a purse. The Cell phone card holder idea also sounds doable.
Take away the Second first, and the First is gone in a second :rules: :patriot:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”