Now this is the reason why I carry

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

RPBrown
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Now this is the reason why I carry

Post by RPBrown »

We have all discussed the 21' rule here. Now, I am no Jerry Miculek. I am, however, old, overweight, and have bad knees and ankles. Therefore, my 21' has gone out to closer to 30' when possible. Now we all know that the perspective distances are not always possible so you need to stay in condition yellow at a minimum but probably condition orange would be better, especially at this time of year.
NRA-Benefactor Life member
TSRA-Life member

gamboolman
Posts in topic: 1

Post by gamboolman »

ld40

Well done sir to intervene to protect the young mother and child :tiphat:

The thugs were danger close to you - but you had a plan.

Glad it turned out well.

Ms. gamboolgal and I have the Rubber Cold Steel Knife and the Blue Practice Glock.

We have done our own Tueller drills in the back yard - and it is eye opening and will you make really appreciate how fast it can go bad when someone rushes you with a blade.
Would recommend all consider doing this as it makes you really see how important it is to be able to move and draw when being rushed by a zombie.

I would bet good money that almost all of the normal CHL holders will be sliced and diced and have some of the fat trimmed off if you stand there and try to draw...Ms. gamboolgal usually cuts me to shreds unless I run / move off the "X".

And when Ms. gamboolgal has to dig around in her purse for her pistol.....it is more like the 121 foot drill :mad5

Again well done ld40 - the world needs more men like you sir :patriot:
gamboolman
TSRA , GOA & NRA Life Member

NNT

Post by NNT »

OP -
:shock: :eek6 :tiphat: :cheers2: :clapping: :thumbs2:

Even though I have my LTC, I went through a follow up course this weekend just to refresh and get more training. At my level, I like more than the 21-30' for a ready. As soon as someone draws on me(pipe, or otherwise), my pre-determined plan is to draw, maybe not level it, but definitely to low ready. Then lots of talk about EVERYONE going home in one piece. No need to make them back down and submit, I just want them to leave me alone. And let them know if they force it, and even if I lose, it won't be without a price to them.

crazy2medic
Posts in topic: 4

Post by crazy2medic »

bblhd672 wrote:
One of the men says what your gonna shoot us all?
Nope just you, cause when I do your buddies are going to start running and I'm not gonna shoot them in the back.
I'd have probably told him yes I am and I'll let the devil claim his own!
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

SewTexas
Posts in topic: 5

Post by SewTexas »

crazy2medic wrote:
bblhd672 wrote:
One of the men says what your gonna shoot us all?
Nope just you, cause when I do your buddies are going to start running and I'm not gonna shoot them in the back.
I'd have probably told him yes I am and I'll let the devil claim his own!

"eh, just one....I'll let y'all guess which one :biggrinjester: I'll let the other two run away"
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

crazy2medic

Post by crazy2medic »

AndyC wrote:
MechAg94 wrote:If someone pulls out a weapon within a reasonable distance, do any of you think it would be good to go ahead and draw your own? Even if you just hold it at your side, having it out and ready would seem prudent and shorten reaction time if something more happens.
Without hesitation, yes - I would.
:iagree:
Government, like fire is a dangerous servant and a fearful master
If you ain't paranoid you ain't paying attention
Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war let it begin here- John Parker

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

gamboolman wrote:And when Ms. gamboolgal has to dig around in her purse for her pistol.....it is more like the 121 foot drill :mad5
When you win that fight, let me know! :lol: The Annoyed Woman and I have been doing ‘round and ‘round about that for 8 years now, ever since she first got her license. She absolutely agrees every time that she shouldn’t carry in her purse, and promises that she’ll start carrying on her body. Every single time, I challenge her (diplomatically) about how quickly she would be able to (A) find, and (B) deploy her gun, if she found herself in that situation. Every single time, she tries to show me that she can get to it quickly and safely......and fails. Then she promises (again) to start carrying on body.

I’ve shown her videos of Tueller drills and discussed it with her. Whenever a member of this forum posts an experience of theirs here like the OP’s in this thread, I read it to her. She absolutely agrees that she would be in real trouble in situations like these if it were to happen to her. I read her these stories because I think she exists in a world of denial where things like this always happen to someone else, but can never happen to her. She agrees that she tends to deliberately ignore the possibilities......most of the time. But once in a while, she’ll tell me about how she was crossing a Walmart parking lot or someplace like it, and she either saw something suspicious, or began to game a scenario out in her head, she wonders how quickly she’d be able to get to her gun if she needed it. I remind her that one single change of habit would fix the problem, and she acknowledges that I’m right about it.

We’ll be heading over to my son’s inlaws’ house this afternoon for a big family Thanksgiving dinner. This morning, as I was getting out of bed, she told me she was removing her gun from her purse because she said that she wasn’t comfortable leaving her purse laying around there with all the little kids that will be running around that house. Again..... if she carried on body, this would not be an issue. It’s a Glock 43. It’s not like she’s trying to conceal a 6” Model 29. When she made her announcement this morning, I kept my mouth shut this time. It’s not a hill I’m willing to die on during Thanksgiving. It’s rapidly becoming a hill I’m no longer willing to assault at all.

Events such as the one that happened to the OP scare the bejabbers out of me when I contemplate the possibility of my wife being in the same position as the young woman that crew was intimidating. The only thing I can do about it is to be there with her everywhere she goes, but that just isn’t practical.

I wish I knew something that would get her to change her habit, but I’ve more or less resigned myself to there being no such thing. So, I pray for her safetey every time this subject comes up in my mind.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

suthdj

Post by suthdj »

bmwrdr wrote:
crazy2medic wrote:Here is some food for thought, all of us on this forum are pro-self-defense advocates, all of us carry a gun for protection.
With the varied views of having your hand on your pistol or being at low ready, openly displaying your side arm or keeping it concealed until use of force is implemented!
With that said now imagine going before a jury of twelve if you had to use deadly force!
SCARY HUH?
:iagree: Especially since jury could consist of 7 or more anti gun liberals. Very very scarry!
Hung jury I believe.
21-Apr-09 filed online
05-Sep-09 Plastic Arrived
09-Sep-13 Plastic Arrived
21-june-18 Plasic Arrived

OneGun

Post by OneGun »

MechAg94 wrote:If someone pulls out a weapon within a reasonable distance, do any of you think it would be good to go ahead and draw your own? Even if you just hold it at your side, having it out and ready would seem prudent and shorten reaction time if something more happens.
Absolutely if a BG presents a weapon as some sort of threat. I'm not a LEO, but I don't think I should be disadvantaged of having to draw and then possibly shoot. I'd rather draw my weapon and have it a low ready. When the BG presents his weapon, he is threatening and a reasonable person could interpret the situation that there is a clear and present danger to themselves.
Annoy a Liberal, GET A JOB!

rotor
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rotor »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
gamboolman wrote:And when Ms. gamboolgal has to dig around in her purse for her pistol.....it is more like the 121 foot drill :mad5
When you win that fight, let me know! :lol: The Annoyed Woman and I have been doing ‘round and ‘round about that for 8 years now, ever since she first got her license. She absolutely agrees every time that she shouldn’t carry in her purse, and promises that she’ll start carrying on her body. Every single time, I challenge her (diplomatically) about how quickly she would be able to (A) find, and (B) deploy her gun, if she found herself in that situation. Every single time, she tries to show me that she can get to it quickly and safely......and fails. Then she promises (again) to start carrying on body.

I’ve shown her videos of Tueller drills and discussed it with her. Whenever a member of this forum posts an experience of theirs here like the OP’s in this thread, I read it to her. She absolutely agrees that she would be in real trouble in situations like these if it were to happen to her. I read her these stories because I think she exists in a world of denial where things like this always happen to someone else, but can never happen to her. She agrees that she tends to deliberately ignore the possibilities......most of the time. But once in a while, she’ll tell me about how she was crossing a Walmart parking lot or someplace like it, and she either saw something suspicious, or began to game a scenario out in her head, she wonders how quickly she’d be able to get to her gun if she needed it. I remind her that one single change of habit would fix the problem, and she acknowledges that I’m right about it.

We’ll be heading over to my son’s inlaws’ house this afternoon for a big family Thanksgiving dinner. This morning, as I was getting out of bed, she told me she was removing her gun from her purse because she said that she wasn’t comfortable leaving her purse laying around there with all the little kids that will be running around that house. Again..... if she carried on body, this would not be an issue. It’s a Glock 43. It’s not like she’s trying to conceal a 6” Model 29. When she made her announcement this morning, I kept my mouth shut this time. It’s not a hill I’m willing to die on during Thanksgiving. It’s rapidly becoming a hill I’m no longer willing to assault at all.

Events such as the one that happened to the OP scare the bejabbers out of me when I contemplate the possibility of my wife being in the same position as the young woman that crew was intimidating. The only thing I can do about it is to be there with her everywhere she goes, but that just isn’t practical.

I wish I knew something that would get her to change her habit, but I’ve more or less resigned myself to there being no such thing. So, I pray for her safetey every time this subject comes up in my mind.
Yesterday Mrs. rotor was walking my daughter's dog with my 11 year old grandson when a rottweiler came charging at her and my wife was convinced it was going to attack. She knows dogs very well and said this one was as big as a lion and just at the last minute the owner got control of his unleashed dog. My wife was really shaken up by this and she has a LTC but never does carry. After that episode though her mind has been changed. She doesn't wear a belt so we talked about options. Pocket carry of a Ruger LCR is probably what she will do at least in the cooler weather when she has a jacket, first shot set to #9 snakeshot that I reload, other 4 .38 special. First time she has ever wished that she was armed. Not a perfect solution but it is hard to convince some people that they need to be cautious and protect themselves and family. With my grandson in danger though that has been an eye opener.

oljames3

Post by oljames3 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:

Chris, this is a battle you can't win. She has to have her own epiphany. Mrs oljames3 and I got our licenses together, 4 years ago. I've carried consistently since, but she only recently had her own epiphany. I frustrated her by teasing her too much one night. My fault. Will try to not do that again. She left the house without her Ruger LCR. Returned safely, but with her own story.

Now she has replaced her Ruger LCR .38 with a Walther PPS M2 LE. Fits her hand, less felt recoil, and she can manipulate the slide. She does practice. Now, she is looking at holsters for daily carrying.

Be supportive, continue to educate without nagging, but be prepared to defend on your own.
O. Lee James, III Captain, US Army (Retired 2012), Honorable Order of St. Barbara
2/19FA, 1st Cavalry Division 73-78; 56FA BDE (Pershing) 78-81
NRA, NRA Basic Pistol Shooting Instructor, Rangemaster Certified, GOA, TSRA, NAR L1

alittlejoy1960
Posts in topic: 3

Post by alittlejoy1960 »

First time poster here. I've read, or rather my husband - oljames3 has pointed out as he so often does many posts on here that interest me. I think he does that to "strongly encourage" me to start carrying on my body. And I thought it was us wives who did most of the nagging. :biggrinjester:

This is the first time that I have felt compelled to respond.

I had a situation that made me want to change the way I carry. I normally carry in my conceal carry purse, if I carry at all. The night I'm about to tell you about, I wasn't carrying at all. I was frustrated with 'Mr. aliitlejoy1960' and decided that I needed to walk it off. We live on a corner. I walked outside and was approaching the corner when I noticed the silhouette of someone walking in my direction coming up the street. (Thank goodness for situational awareness.) I crossed the street and the silhouette of a man also crossed the street. At that point the hairs on the back of my neck that had already started standing up when I saw him were at full attention. I kept thinking why the heck didn't I bring my phone or my pistol. I crossed back and started towards my front porch. When I got to the porch, the man stopped and was just standing there watching me. Now, I know that I didn't know the intention of that man. But I did know that I didn't want to find out either. I went back into the house and went to the bedroom to calm down. After, I told my husband about the incident. That silhouette was the last thing I thought about that night before going to sleep and the first thing I thought of when I woke the next morning. It had affected me more than I thought. Since then, we have been talking about better ways for me to carry - and all are on my body. We even bought me a different pistol to carry. We went to a gun range that allowed me to try several different pistols. My problem has been being able to manipulate the slide. I found one that I could easily manipulate and feels right in my hands - a Walther PPS M2. The next day, I bought that pistol.

My next step is to find a way for me to carry comfortably on my body. I have a rather large top, small waist, and large bottom. Most of the videos of women I see carrying are mostly straight with no defined waist. A lot of the methods in which women carry don't work for me. I'm still searching for what will work best for me... and I won't stop until I find one.
alittlejoy1960 (aka Mrs. oljames3)
Retired SharePoint Administrator/Webpage Designer
Fulltime Quilt-Maker and Homemaker

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

alittlejoy1960 wrote:

My next step is to find a way for me to carry comfortably on my body. I have a rather large top, small waist, and large bottom. Most of the videos of women I see carrying are mostly straight with no defined waist. A lot of the methods in which women carry don't work for me. I'm still searching for what will work best for me... and I won't stop until I find one.
Welcome Alittlejoy1960, I carry a Curve or an LCP pretty much all the time, seldom in my purse. With Jeans I use an IWB hoster from Kusiak for my LCP. With leggings I took a corset from WM, added some elastic and ended up with a corset holster along the lines of Dene Adams. For dresses and skirts I took some compression undershorts from WM along with some clearance compression under stuffs, added some pockets on the legs and at the waist and they are perfect.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”