Texas State Fair Experiences

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Texas State Fair Experiences

Post by carlson1 »

Anyone been to the State Fair this year carrying concealed?

What was the steps you took to enter with your LTC? I was told they were not using wands this year, but using walk through metal detectors. In years passed I just told the Security I needed to see a Police Officer and was directed to an officer who didn’t even look at my LTC after I told him I was carrying. We had a short conversation on things to see and do and I went on my way. I always by their lunch and try to show my appreciation for their job.

I was just curious if it has changed because no one has posted or I missed it.

Thanks.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Texas State Fair Experiences

Post by The Annoyed Man »

My wife, son, DIL, and grandkids went to the fair without me last Friday (I was at work), and they had a good time. My son carried. I don’t know what kind of security he had to deal with, but he didn’t seem upset about it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I use my electric wheelchair and always enter at Gate 11 on Pennsylvania Ave. I will find out tomorrow if it has changed much. We always go early and leave early in hopes to miss some of the “bad actors” if you will.

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

I just texted my son a few minutes ago and asked him what kind of security he ran into. He said:
There was a detector I walked through. Of course it went off. Dude asked to see in my Fanny pack. I opened the front pocket, which had one of my microtechs in it clearly visible (prohibited). Didn’t open the back pocket which had the 43x in it. Looked at him like “good enough?”. He waved me through but I was about to whip out the permit just in case. He didn’t give a crap he was probably 17. Just gotta roll through with that big [expletive] energy.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

troglodyte
Posts in topic: 1

Post by troglodyte »

We went last week. Walked up the the bag checked and told them I had an LTC and walked through the detector. It beeped and they directed me to the police officer. He glanced at my plastic and told me to keep it concealed. Second day there was no policeman so I flashed my LTC at the bag lady and walked through. She hee hawed around a second but I walked in a few more steps and my wife was handing her purse over to be “inspected”. A quick glance and a poke of a stick and she was through. Didn’t check the back pocket that had her pistol in it.

Honestly, pretty much of a joke. Makes me wonder if they catch anything. I thinks it’s mostly for show and hoping it deters.

I do appreciate that the inspectors are working.
Talon Firearms Training
Instructor - License To Carry, School Safety, First Responder: Texas DPS, Certified Instructor: Rangemasters/Tom Givens
NRA Instructor - Basic Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Personal Protection Outside the Home, Range Safety Officer
Stop The Bleed Instructor

Topic author
carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Pretty simple. We walked up and I told the security need to see the police. He was in a stand about 25 feet from us. Walked up and he looked at us and said, “all is good enjoy your day.”

Someone said above you wonder how many people are coming through with weapons. I felt comfortable especially as there is not near as many police as in years past. They have replaced them then with “Fair Security” in brown shirts setting in the tree houses.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”