Woman shot at her front door...

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Jim101
Posts in topic: 1

Woman shot at her front door...

Post by Jim101 »

A couple of nights ago a woman answered here door only to be shot and killed, a very sad story. Now I hear there have been (2) more since then, does anyone know why this woman was shot? (Keller area, I believe).
A few of us have been talking and I seem to remember it's legal to display a gun as long as you are on your property, is that right?

Thanks,

Jim
NRA, TSRA

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

IIRC, there was an incident a few days ago in a nicer section of NHR where an elderly lady was shot in her foyer. Maybe even a thread on it here on this forum. And another shooting through a door elsawhere in DFW a day or so later - but I think it involved some younger peoples' "love triangle".

Quote: "it's legal to display a gun as long as you are on your property, is that right?"

"Open carry" is generally permissible on one's own property. But there still has to be some serious justification for ever showing someone "the business end".
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 3

Post by seamusTX »

You need to be able to see who is at the door before you open it. Cameras are cheap.

You can legally have an AR-15 at high ready and a .45 on each hip, but you don't want the Avon lady to faint on your doorstep, and you don't want to open the door to a thug.

- Jim

FightinAggieCHL
Posts in topic: 2

Post by FightinAggieCHL »

That doesn't count if your property is visible to the public, right? Like, you can't be tooling around your front yard, toting an AK in plain sight of everyone.
The right to bear arms shall NOT be infringed.

Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

FightinAggieCHL wrote:Like, you can't be tooling around your front yard, toting an AK in plain sight of everyone.
Perfectly legal. Just don't point the muzzle at a person, vehicle or building.

The cops will probably ask you to cut it out after 100 people call 911, but it's not an offense.

If you're thinking of this in relation to your neighbor situation, please think long and hard.

- Jim

Penn

Post by Penn »

seamusTX wrote:You need to be able to see who is at the door before you open it. Cameras are cheap.

You can legally have an AR-15 at high ready and a .45 on each hip, but you don't want the Avon lady to faint on your doorstep, and you don't want to open the door to a thug.

- Jim
High ready would be pointed at someone right? I think this is illegal unless threatened.

Reeves

Post by Reeves »

FightinAggieCHL wrote:That doesn't count if your property is visible to the public, right? Like, you can't be tooling around your front yard, toting an AK in plain sight of everyone.
You could walk down the street with it as long as its not in a threating manner. I wouldn't do it though.
I have open carried many times while doing yard work, mowing , weedeating, etc. within inches from the road. The best thing is nobody interupts me trying to sell me anything.

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

seamusTX wrote:
FightinAggieCHL wrote:Like, you can't be tooling around your front yard, toting an AK in plain sight of everyone.
Perfectly legal. Just don't point the muzzle at a person, vehicle or building.

The cops will probably ask you to cut it out after 100 people call 911, but it's not an offense.

If you're thinking of this in relation to your neighbor situation, please think long and hard.
Absolutely. If the police should happen to inform the neighbors that you're not doing anything illegal, their next call to 911 will claim you're "waving it around pointing it at people".

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

Texas Penal Code

§ 42.01. DISORDERLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an
offense if he intentionally or knowingly

(8) displays a firearm or other deadly weapon in a
public place in a manner calculated to alarm;

§ 22.05. DEADLY CONDUCT. (a) A person commits an
offense if he recklessly engages in conduct that places another in
imminent danger of serious bodily injury.
(b) A person commits an offense if he knowingly discharges a
firearm at or in the direction of:
(1) one or more individuals; or
(2) a habitation, building, or vehicle and is reckless
as to whether the habitation, building, or vehicle is occupied.
(c) Recklessness and danger are presumed if the actor
knowingly pointed a firearm at or in the direction of another
whether or not the actor believed the firearm to be loaded.
(d) For purposes of this section, "building," "habitation,"
and "vehicle" have the meanings assigned those terms by Section
(e) An offense under Subsection (a) is a Class A
misdemeanor. An offense under Subsection (b) is a felony of the
third degree.
*CHL Instructor*

"Speed is Fine, but accuracy is final"- Bill Jordan

Remember those who died, remember those who killed them.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Penn wrote:
seamusTX wrote:You can legally have an AR-15 at high ready ...
High ready would be pointed at someone right? I think this is illegal unless threatened.
The definition of high ready that I learned is across your chest with the muzzle pointed about 45° skyward.

(We're talking about long arms here.)

Pointing a firearm at a person, vehicle, or building without justification is deadly conduct.

- Jim

Penn

Post by Penn »

seamusTX wrote:
Penn wrote:
seamusTX wrote:You can legally have an AR-15 at high ready ...
The definition of high ready that I learned is across your chest with the muzzle pointed about 45° skyward.

(We're talking about long arms here.)

Pointing a firearm at a person, vehicle, or building without justification is deadly conduct.

- Jim
Okay - I guess we are dealing with different definitions. I thought it was pointed in front at 45 degrees. Across you're chest you're not really ready :)

FightinAggieCHL

Post by FightinAggieCHL »

seamusTX wrote:

- Jim
I was merely using an example. This has nothing to do with the guy across the street. I don't even own an AK. I don't want to be accused of escalating anything if something were to happen and I were to utilize deadly force.
The right to bear arms shall NOT be infringed.

Always cheat; always win. The only unfair fight is the one you lose.

hoss4570

Re: Woman shot at her front door...

Post by hoss4570 »

Jim101 wrote:A couple of nights ago a woman answered here door only to be shot and killed, a very sad story. Now I hear there have been (2) more since then, does anyone know why this woman was shot? (Keller area, I believe).
A few of us have been talking and I seem to remember it's legal to display a gun as long as you are on your property, is that right?

Thanks,

Jim
Yes.
Life member N.R.A.
Take a kid shootin'
ALWAYS count your shots
PROUD C.H.L. holder

Dragonfighter

Re: Woman shot at her front door...

Post by Dragonfighter »

High ready is across the chest, not against the chest. Your trigger hand is over the butt stock and gripping the pistol grip and the support hand is palm up holding the fore stock. It can be swung into a firing position with a small arc radius and fired in a fraction of a second.
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”