Topic author
texagun
Posts in topic: 1

CHL Holder Charged With Bar Shooting

Post by texagun »

From today's Dallas Morning News:
Sept 19, 2008

Country singer Shaver indicted in shooting

WACO -- A McLennan County grand jury indicted country singer Billy Joe Shaver this week on felony charges in an April 2007 shooting at a Lorena bar. Mr. Shaver, 69, is charged with aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, a second-degree felony, and a charge of unlawful carrying of a handgun by a licensed holder on a licensed premises, a third-degree felony. He did not return calls.

HighVelocity

Re: CHL Holder Charged With Bar Shooting

Post by HighVelocity »

Sounds like Mr. Shaver made some real bad choices. Now he has to face the consequences.
I am scared of empty guns and keep mine loaded at all times. The family knows the guns are loaded and treats them with respect. Loaded guns cause few accidents; empty guns kill people every year. -Elmer Keith. 1961

pedalman

Post by pedalman »

This is just great!!!!! :banghead:

Just what the CHL program needs!!! A known Texas musician who screws up his license status. The media is going to just love this. :mad5

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

Yep.....not good......

I'll be watching the news tonight to see if this shows up in North Texas.......I hope it doesn't. :shock: :roll:

I am not trying to defend the guy and I don't even know him or his music, I have heard the name before......

I can say this from personal experience myself...................... :oops:
Him being 69 years old and a Country Musician in Texas, I can almost certainly guarantee you that he was carrying a concealed pistol on him long before CHL was even thought about.........
I would guess that once CHL was approved, at some point he decided to "get Legal".
I guess he didn't pay too much attention in class with regards to the "Regulations".
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

KBCraig
Banned

Post by KBCraig »

This is a continuation from April 2007:

http://www.texasshooting.com/TexasCHL_F ... f=7&t=6465" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

shootthesheet

Post by shootthesheet »

It does make CHL holders look bad. I do agree that he probably has carried a long time and just got a CHL to be "legal". Some have voiced concerns about younger people getting CHLs over the years. This is more proof, in my eyes, that it is more about the person than about the age. Poor judgment exists at 21 and I have seen many examples in my life of it existing at 65 and older.

For those that say they had rather be judged by 12 than carried by 6, this is the outcome. Not that it is wrong but, that those who choose that attitude should except what can/will happen if they are caught or have to use their weapon. It reflects badly on CHL holders when that type gets caught at doing it. Again, not that I am bashing anyone who chooses the ability to fight back over the ignorant decisions of a few law makers who have little or no faith in the good people of this state. For that, I am willing as a CHL holder, to not only take this hit on my reputation but work harder to change the law so that those who choose to go to a bar and not get drunk, can carry. That would mean most of us would not drink anything because we would not want any question of guilt if we are forced to defend ourselves or others. We wouldn't get drunk in a bar no more than we do at home and then use poor judgment. Yes, those places can be dangerous and that is why we need to carry there so good people have the ability to stop a drunk with a knife or a career criminal with a gun from raping some female/themselves in the parking lot.

A CHL holder chooses not only life but when and when not to intervene every day of their lives. Why are places like bars or school buildings different? The CHL holder is the same person anyplace they go. Good judgment is about the person and not where they are at any given time. Going to get drunk, have a designated driver and CHL holder. Everyone leaves their guns at home or have them legally locked away and unloaded in the car. Good people should not be asked to choose to either live or break the law.
http://gunrightsradio.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

charlie

Post by charlie »

Too bad. Great singer/songwriter. If I remember, most of a Waylon album was made up of his songs.

Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Quote from thread KB referenced: "And if the case goes anywhere, I'm sure that Joe Turner, one of the best lawyers in Austin, will have the jury so confused that they will not be able to tell the difference between this place and a church."

' Sounds like this could get to be quite a rodeo. But .... as Yogi said, "It ain't over until it's over." In the meantime, it looks like Billy Joe is going to be in for more than just a few 8-second rides.
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

AEA
Posts in topic: 2

Post by AEA »

I understand from the other thread, he does not drink.
If that is the case and he has been careful with his money over the years, he should have plenty to fight this.
Alan - ANYTHING I write is MY OPINION only.
Certified Curmudgeon - But, my German Shepherd loves me!
NRA-Life, USN '65-'69 & '73-'79: RM1
1911's RULE!

casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

Johnny Paycheck shot a guy in the head inside a West Virginia bar once. I think he got thirteen years.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

This situation doesn't reflect any worse on gun owners than stories about home owners shooting and killing fleeing property thieves. Most folks out there look at the situation and make a moral decision on whether or not they would react the same way in the same situation. Being attacked by a knife welding assailant will always get more sympathy than blasting somebody in the back who is no threat to personal safety at all. I like hearing the story this way much more than I would have liked hearing that the country western singer was found dead of knife wounds in the parking lot.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”