Need Help!! School related

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
GrandSporTA
Posts in topic: 8

Need Help!! School related

Post by GrandSporTA »

I am a full time student at the University of Texas at Dallas and have a current CHL. Yesterday, my truck was broken into on campus between 12:45-3:30pm and my Kimber Ultra CDP II was stolen out of my truck. I had a campus police officer come out, take a report and gave him the serial number so he could put it in the Texas registry as stolen. Anyways, a detective called me this morning and said he was on the case and looking out for my pistol if anyone tries to sell it. He also mentioned this to me "Did you know it's against the student code of conduct to have a weapon on campus?" All I stated was that it wasn't against Texas state law for me to keep it in my vehicle, which he agreed. He said they had to tell the dean of my school because it was against the school policy. I asked if I was in any trouble and he said he didn't know, but since I was the victim of a crime that I may not be.

What should I do? What is your take on this? I graduate in the spring and don't want to hurt myself in any way that will keep me from graduating.

If they do call me in to talk to me, am I protected in any way since it is a public school and state law allows me to keep a pistol in my truck?

Any help or advice is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Joseph
Kimber Ultra CDP II
Ruger LCP
Students for Campus Carry

snatchel
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Need Help!! School related

Post by snatchel »

Is the parking lot 30.06 posted? Does the handbook state that the parking lot is 30.06 posted?
No More Signature

Topic author
GrandSporTA

Post by GrandSporTA »

snatchel wrote:Is the parking lot 30.06 posted? Does the handbook state that the parking lot is 30.06 posted?
Not at all.
Kimber Ultra CDP II
Ruger LCP

KingofChaos

Post by KingofChaos »

snatchel wrote:Is the parking lot 30.06 posted? Does the handbook state that the parking lot is 30.06 posted?
Effective notice doesn't have to be a 30.06 sign. 30.06 only applies if you are posting signs. Other form of verbal notice need not conform to 30.06. There could just be a doorman hanging out business cards with a notice on it, and that would be valid I believe.

That being said, I don't think any of that even applies. The schools action against him wouldn't be legal, just administrative. Furthermore, it's a. a school that's he's a student of, so he presumably signed some sort of student agreement and b. not his employer. So I think he may be up a creek. But I could also be entirely wrong. Heck, I should be paying attention in my class now instead of posting.
EAA Witness Elite Match .45 ACP
Blade Tech Ultimate Concealment Holster
SOG Flash II

Topic author
GrandSporTA

Post by GrandSporTA »

This is what the student code says...

(d) The dean may initiate disciplinary proceedings under Subchapter C against a student
who
(2) possesses or uses any type of explosive, firearm, imitation firearm, ammunition,
hazardous chemical or weapon as defined by state or federal law while on
campus or on any property or in any building owned or controlled by the System
or the university.

If it is defined under state law, then I should be ok, right?
Kimber Ultra CDP II
Ruger LCP

goheeled
Posts in topic: 1

Post by goheeled »

I dont see the state making an issue of this. The school on the other hand... based on the excerpt above, they might have grounds for some administrative action against you but it wont be a legal issue.

Rod Townsend
Go Heeled Firearms Training
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Training Counselor & Chief Range Safety Officer

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Does one possess something when they leave it behind in their car?

If they say you're suspended (to the point where it substantially hurts your academics), you can try getting an injunction, but make sure there isn't some buried university rule about being in a party against the school in any legal matter.

bayouhazard

Post by bayouhazard »

It looks like you didn't break the law but they can still kick you out of school or take other disciplinary action. In that way, it's like getting caught cheating on a test.

Topic author
GrandSporTA

Post by GrandSporTA »

I still don't understand, it says "as defined by state or federal law" which means I didn't do anything wrong.

Also, since I was a victim of a crime, will that change anything??
Kimber Ultra CDP II
Ruger LCP

longhorn86

Post by longhorn86 »

GrandSporTA wrote:I still don't understand, it says "as defined by state or federal law" which means I didn't do anything wrong.

The way I read your earlier post from your student code, "as defined by state or federal law" is referring to how the state or feds would define "a weapon". I tend to agree with others, you could face administrative consequences by the institution.
NRA Life Member

Topic author
GrandSporTA

Post by GrandSporTA »

longhorn86 wrote:
GrandSporTA wrote:I still don't understand, it says "as defined by state or federal law" which means I didn't do anything wrong.

The way I read your earlier post from your student code, "as defined by state or federal law" is referring to how the state or feds would define "a weapon". I tend to agree with others, you could face administrative consequences by the institution.
That is just great. I'm actually scared now.
Kimber Ultra CDP II
Ruger LCP

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Just make sure you are the model student and continue with your classes/activities. Hopefully the issue will get buried/forgotten and nothing will happen. Usually rules like that are only in place as a legal defense for the university's action against a student in a serious matter. I don't know how UT does it, but hopefully they aren't trying to go out of the way to ruin people's lives.

Don't pursue the matter or try to follow up and inquire what's going on. Try to avoid being noticed by that police officer. Basically just stay under the radar.
Last edited by Thomas on Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

4copas

Post by 4copas »

Maybe these guys can help out with answers.

View Link

viewtopic.php?f=90&t=47732
Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. John Wayne
NRA Life Member :patriot: :txflag:

Topic author
GrandSporTA

Post by GrandSporTA »

4copas wrote:Maybe these guys can help out with answers.

View Link

Thanks!
Kimber Ultra CDP II
Ruger LCP

Thomas

Post by Thomas »

4copas wrote:Maybe these guys can help out with answers.

View Link

I would definitely NOT get publicly involved. You should stay under the radar, and it doesn't help the organization to have broken the rules on a gun-related matter. Certainly you can ask for some advice, but I strongly recommend you do not become a member.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”