Who will support Campus carry now that Joe driver is leaving

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Gambit
Posts in topic: 1

Who will support Campus carry now that Joe driver is leaving

Post by Gambit »

Joe Driver is one of the most progun Congress critters out there.
We lost a really progun ally who will step up now? :shock:

http://www.texastribune.org/texas-polit ... tv-report/

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Re: Who will support Campus carry now that Joe driver is lea

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Gambit wrote:Joe Driver is one of the most progun Congress critters out there.
We lost a really progun ally who will step up now? :shock:
Isn't he a State Representative in the Texas legislature?

http://thescoopblog.dallasnews.com/arch ... -expe.html
State Rep. Joe Driver will plead guilty to a felony charge of abuse of office, a Travis County prosecutor told the Texas Tribune late Tuesday.

"He is going to plea to the third-degree felony," Assistant District Attorney Gregg Cox said. "It is a plea of guilt."

The indictment of the Garland Republican was first reported by Fox 4 News.

A representative for the veteran legislator said Wednesday that he would not comment on the case. The plea is expected to be entered during a Nov. 22 hearing.

Driver, who was first elected in 1992, admitted last year that for years he had double-billed his campaign and state taxpayers for travel expenses. He said he thought the practice was appropriate, at least until he was confronted about it by an Associated Press reporter.

"Now you're scaring the heck out of me," Driver told the AP, adding: "It pretty well screws my week."
How is it that a grown man with some knowledge of the law thinks it is acceptable to double bill expenses? I am grateful for the work he has done on behalf of our gun rights, but I am very troubled by this charge against his character.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

thatguy

Post by thatguy »

How is it that a grown man with some knowledge of the law thinks it is acceptable to double bill expenses? I am grateful for the work he has done on behalf of our gun rights, but I am very troubled by this charge against his character.

:iagree: Right on TAM, if you are I stole money from our employer we would be held accountable, as we should be.

In fact I feel that the whole CHL thing or movement is based on accountability, to say the least.
In the endless pursuit of perfection, we may achieve excellence.

Texas LTC and School Safety Instructor and NRA Training Counselor

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

The Annoyed Man wrote: How is it that a grown man with some knowledge of the law thinks it is acceptable to double bill expenses? I am grateful for the work he has done on behalf of our gun rights, but I am very troubled by this charge against his character.
Not to make make excuses for him, because he should have known better, but its pretty easy to fall into the trap of believing that campaign money actually belongs to the politician. He is raising the money, it is "his" campaign fund and actually he is just writing checks to himself. Yeah, He should have known better, and there are legal ways to get rich off a state rep job that pays $600 a month. How many are on staff for big litigation companies, and state contractors.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 2

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Liberty wrote:
The Annoyed Man wrote: How is it that a grown man with some knowledge of the law thinks it is acceptable to double bill expenses? I am grateful for the work he has done on behalf of our gun rights, but I am very troubled by this charge against his character.
Not to make make excuses for him, because he should have known better, but its pretty easy to fall into the trap of believing that campaign money actually belongs to the politician. He is raising the money, it is "his" campaign fund and actually he is just writing checks to himself. Yeah, He should have known better, and there are legal ways to get rich off a state rep job that pays $600 a month. How many are on staff for big litigation companies, and state contractors.
That still doesn't explain how he thought it was OK to bill his campaign AND bill the taxpayers. If I charged a client for travel expenses, and then I tried to deduct those travel expenses on my tax return, I could get in serious trouble for that. Pretty much any fool knows you don't do stuff like that......unless you are morally compromised.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

RiverCity.45

Post by RiverCity.45 »

Kind of feeds that stereotype that politicians are crooks...even the ones who support our pet causes, irrespective of their party affiliation.

I admit to being cynical about politicians. :tiphat:
9/21/09 - Received license
"Nothing is so dangerous as an idea when it is the only one you have." - Emile Chartier

TxFig

Post by TxFig »

So getting back to the original question: who is going to pick up the banner for us?

smtimelevi

Post by smtimelevi »

RiverCity.45 wrote:Kind of feeds that stereotype that politicians are crooks...even the ones who support our pet causes, irrespective of their party affiliation.

I admit to being cynical about politicians. :tiphat:
:iagree:

croc870

Post by croc870 »

The whole reimbursement issue is alot more complex than most people understand. Almost all legislators bills both their campaign and the state for travel expenses, the issue is repayment. Since legislators are not exactly well paid, most of them have their campaigns reimburse them as soon as expenses are paid for, so that they don't to wait months for their money. Because of the structure Texas reporting requirements, it's difficult to track how people are reimbursed. A lot of legislators have done this for many years, and some will tell you candidly that they were told that this was the correct way to do it. This case has a lot more to do with politics than it does a lack of integrity.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”