would you ignore this sign (30.03 vs. 30.06)

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

emcee rib
Posts in topic: 2

Re: would you ignore this sign (30.03 vs. 30.06)

Post by emcee rib »

Oldgringo wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Inasmuch as there doesn't seem to be any court case interpretation of this question, opportunity abounds for someone to come forward and be the test case. Who's first?
Many say they would carry past the sign but none say they would announce their legal challenge to the sign's poster. We need a test case and we it need now...or next week, maybe.
If it's that important to you, then you should do it yourself. :thumbs2:

My philosophy is concealed means concealed so I have a clear conscience when I walk past worthless signs and nobody cares.
We declare our right on this earth to be a man, to be a human being, to be respected as a human being, to be given the rights of a human being in this society, on this earth, in this day, which we intend to bring into existence by any means necessary.

Oldgringo
Posts in topic: 6

Post by Oldgringo »

emcee rib wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:
Oldgringo wrote:Inasmuch as there doesn't seem to be any court case interpretation of this question, opportunity abounds for someone to come forward and be the test case. Who's first?
Many say they would carry past the sign but none say they would announce their legal challenge to the sign's poster. We need a test case and we it need now...or next week, maybe.
If it's that important to you, then you should do it yourself. :thumbs2:
It is not important to me what you, or anyone else, does with their gun.....unless it's pointing at me or mine. IOW, carry where you will, I do not care...one way or another.

barstoolguru
Posts in topic: 1

Post by barstoolguru »

That is what we call a legal loophole and unless I was required to undress or someone was to get physical yes I would. If something happens all they can do is ask you to leave.

They use the letter of the law to keep you out and denied your right to self-defense without proving some other forum of security.

What I don't understand is so many people here would walk past it if it said 30.05, the lettering was not one inch tall, not in two different colors, wording not's right but would honor this even though it's not correct!

And please don’t use that “they don’t want your business” excuse because this isn’t a pizza place or chuck-e-cheese’s, it’s not that simple, like you can just go down the road to a new one without some form of complications
Some parents say it is toy guns that make boys warlike. But give a boy a rubber duck and he will seize its neck like the butt of a pistol and shout "Bang!"......George Will

jimlongley
Posts in topic: 2

Post by jimlongley »

Jaguar wrote:
I was trying to say volunteering would require you knowingly fail to conceal, which would be prosecuted under the following,
(g) An offense under Subsection (a), (b), (c), (d), or (e) is a Class A misdemeanor
And, (i) does not exempt section (a).
I see, sorry.

Of course that is not the only way to be discovered and prosecuted, the rest of which would involve 46.035(i).
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

fickman

Post by fickman »

Ralph Waldo Emerson went and visited Henry David Thoreau in jail after the latter was arrested for refusing to pay a poll tax. Legend has it that Thoreau's aunt reported their initial exchange:
Emerson: Henry, why are you here?
Thoreau: Waldo, why are you not here?

I don't think this is merely a "typo". I'd stop reading the sign at "30.03", knowing that nothing in Texas PC 30.03 applies to me. A typo in the text (which I'd also likely ignore) is one thing - although I'd still ignore it as non-compliant due to the way the law is written. Exact is exact. This, however, is referencing an entirely different statute altogether - regardless of what the rest of the sign says.

I agree with the earlier poster who reaffirmed:
- Concealed is concealed
- They most likely won't determine that carrying unless I need to draw, in which case it's to save my life and worth the fallout.

Furthermore, if you were somehow noticed and asked to leave or they called the police, my guess is that you'd have better than a 50/50 chance of getting the opportunity to leave amicably without having charges pressed. I'm not banking on it, but that's my hypothesis.

I am not a lawyer, and this is not legal advice to anybody here.
Native Texian

Jaguar
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Jaguar »

jimlongley wrote:
Jaguar wrote:
I was trying to say volunteering would require you knowingly fail to conceal, which would be prosecuted under the following,
(g) An offense under Subsection (a), (b), (c), (d), or (e) is a Class A misdemeanor
And, (i) does not exempt section (a).
I see, sorry.

Of course that is not the only way to be discovered and prosecuted, the rest of which would involve 46.035(i).
No problem, I was just thinking out loud as it were.

But getting prosecuted for ONLY a 30.06 violation would be difficult, piling on of charges to entice you to take a plea seems to SOP these days.

JMHO, IANAL, ETC.
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

smoothoperator

Post by smoothoperator »

fickman wrote:Furthermore, if you were somehow noticed and asked to leave or they called the police, my guess is that you'd have better than a 50/50 chance of getting the opportunity to leave amicably without having charges pressed. I'm not banking on it, but that's my hypothesis.
That's a lot better than the odds a robber or rapist will let you call a time out to go get your gun.

Katygunnut

Post by Katygunnut »

It sounds like the doctor is trying to drum up business by purposely creating a higher likelihood that a violent assault will be committed on their premises. Pretty unethical behavior if you ask me. Kind of like a car repair center requiring you to drain all oil and then rev your engine to 5,000 RPM's if you accidentally drive onto their property. One thing to consider is if this doc is really hurting for customers that bad, then they may not be all that good at what they do.

Personally, I would only carry past the sign if I knew that there was no possibility of having to disrobe. I would be afraid that disrobing and having no place to effectively conceal a weapon would be a problem (intentional failure to conceal) regardless of any signage.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”