Past Indiscretions

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
OldGrumpy
Posts in topic: 5

Past Indiscretions

Post by OldGrumpy »

I see a lot of posts from individuals lamenting the fact that wrongs they previously committed is now keeping them from getting a CHL. Now I admint to being a bit old-fashioned and out of touch with today's modern world which says I still have the right to what I want in spite of my previous wrongs. Today I cannot wear a short haircut because when I was six years old I was dumb enough to try and run under a swinging swing. The scar is there as a reminder that I made a wrong choice. We need to train our youth to accept responsibility and live with the consequences. Also, they can lobby for changes to laws they feel are unfair. Get involved, talk to your legislator and ask them to introduce legislation to change laws you feel are unjust. Just had to rant a bit. I came from a family of hard working farmers that said the law may not always be right but it is never wrong, and that sometimes the law is not fair - but it is the law.
Love God, Family, USA, and Texas
Act justly, love mercy, walk humbly with God - Micah 6:8

recaffeination

Re: Past Indiscretions

Post by recaffeination »

Actions have consequences. If my friend bought 1000 shares of Apple at $10 when he was young, why should he have to share with someone who spent the same ten grand on a new car when my friend was driving a $500 rust bucket? He deserves to enjoy the benefits of making good choices.

Same principle. If my friend robbed a bank, why shouldn't he get the consequences of that choice?

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

Devils advocate here..... Are you saying that you never made a wrong choice or a bad decision? Or, that you just didn't get caught? Or, just not one that would disqualify? How long should this apply, for ever? Someone that made a wrong decision 20 years should be punished today?

For example, most of the folks I know drank at least one alcoholic beverage before legal age. If they got caught, get arrested and now they have a CHL stumbling block. I have a buddy who was driving from El Paso to Dallas and was doing 93 in a 65. He went to jail for it. I'll have to ask him what he was charged with but now he waits for 1.5 more years.

Is there an age qualification as well? How about when you were a kid; 8, 10, 14, 16 or 18 and made a bad decision? I know 18 is an adult but yet still a kid. Always have the argument about buying alcohol, CHL, gambling 18 versus 21....

How about someone that had mental problems 20 years, never buy a gun or get CHL?

I have never truly agreed with how our system works. IMHO, I think a persons criminal history should be like a credit report or along the same lines.
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.
If guns kill people, do pens misspell words?
I like options: Sig Sauer | DPMS | Springfield Armory | Glock | Beretta

Topic author
OldGrumpy

Post by OldGrumpy »

RX8er I have to respectfully disagree with you. I realize there are a few cases of where someone commits a crime without knowing what they are doing is a crime. However, in most cases people know what they are doing is illegal. If I know it is illegal and do it anyway then I have to be prepared to accept the consequences. Sometimes it may seem unfair but I had a college prof whose favorite saying was : " I never promised I would be fair - I only promised to enforce the rules that I set on the first day of class". Yes, life is sometimes unfair, but it is usually a result of our own actions.

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

I'm not going to weigh in on this discussion other than to take the opportunity to point out that many people, especially new Members, come to TexasCHLforum for information, not lectures and condemnation about their past actions.

Chas.

Topic author
OldGrumpy

Post by OldGrumpy »

Charles, point taken.

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

OldGrumpy wrote:RX8er I have to respectfully disagree with you.
Thank you. Who said I disagree, I was playing devils advocate. I am always up for a respectful debate though. ;-)

I realize there are a few cases of where someone commits a crime without knowing what they are doing is a crime. However, in most cases people know what they are doing is illegal.
I agree to a point. I did many things as a kid that I knew were wrong, but did not know or understand the consequences. Does this make it right, or better; No it doesn't. And, I have to honest, there were some things that I would have never thought were illegal that I did as a kid but as I grew up, I learned otherwise.
If I know it is illegal and do it anyway then I have to be prepared to accept the consequences.
Agree 100%. can't do the time, don't do the crime.
Sometimes it may seem unfair but I had a college prof whose favorite saying was : " I never promised I would be fair - I only promised to enforce the rules that I set on the first day of class". Yes, life is sometimes unfair, but it is usually a result of our own actions.
Again, I don't disagree with this. I tell my kids, darn near every day: 'The Fair Comes In September"

I go back to my original questions I have though:

Are you saying that you never made a wrong choice or a bad decision? Or, that you just didn't get caught? Or, just not one that would disqualify?

How long should this apply, for ever? Someone that made a wrong decision 20 years should be punished today?
Is there an age qualification as well? How about when you were a kid; 8, 10, 14, 16 or 18 and made a bad decision? I know 18 is an adult but yet still a kid. Always have the argument about buying alcohol, CHL, gambling 18 versus 21 is because 18 don't make good decisions.

How about someone that had mental problems 20 years, never buy a gun or get CHL?

What are your thoughts about a persons criminal history being like a credit report or along the same lines?
Final Shot offers Firearms / FFL Transfers / CHL Instruction. Please like our Facebook Page.

gigag04
Posts in topic: 3

Post by gigag04 »

RX8er wrote: For example, most of the folks I know drank at least one alcoholic beverage before legal age. If they got caught, get arrested and now they have a CHL stumbling block.
Arrested on what charge?
Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

68blackbird

Post by 68blackbird »

My boss and I were talking a few years ago about some issues I was having with my son and 2 stepsons, he told me something that I will never forget, simple, but oh so true.... "everything you do matters".....think about it, it can be a good thing, or not so good thing...Kel
"The problem is not the availability of guns, it is the availability of morons."
- Antonio Meloni

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

gigag04 wrote: Arrested on what charge?
MIP for example. I know that some states, they arrest for it. I interviewed a kid a while back and he didn't disclose it but showed up on his background check. I think it was Washington state and he was 20 when it happened.

function12

Post by function12 »

What are your thoughts about a persons criminal history being like a credit report or along the same lines?

The problem there is when do you start the clock? At the date of conviction or date of release? I will just say you almost never get date of release on a background check. So, if a person does 50 years for murder they would have already meet the "7 year" mark like credit. I don't think I would really want that person carrying a CHL or watching my kids.
I agree that there has to be consequences. Not everyone can be a winner. It is not always fair. Laws are in place so we can have a society. As long as most people follow them we can live our lives. Once people realize there are no consequences we are all screwed.

Just my 2 1/2 cents.
NRA Super Life Benefactor Member
PSC Member

RX8er

Post by RX8er »

function12 wrote:The problem there is when do you start the clock? At the date of conviction or date of release? I will just say you almost never get date of release on a background check. So, if a person does 50 years for murder they would have already meet the "7 year" mark like credit.

It was more for a topic of discussion than it was setting the 7/10 year rules for credit.

I couldn't imagine a pedophile being a school teacher because she/he managed not to get caught for a certain period of time and not it is removed. There are other cases tan just this one as well.

Topic author
OldGrumpy

Post by OldGrumpy »

Are you saying that you never made a wrong choice or a bad decision? Or, that you just didn't get caught? Or, just not one that would disqualify?

How long should this apply, for ever? Someone that made a wrong decision 20 years should be punished today?
Is there an age qualification as well? How about when you were a kid; 8, 10, 14, 16 or 18 and made a bad decision? I know 18 is an adult but yet still a kid. Always have the argument about buying alcohol, CHL, gambling 18 versus 21 is because 18 don't make good decisions.

What are your thoughts about a persons criminal history being like a credit report or along the same line

Since I am sure I have passed the statue of limitations I will confess that things were done as a young person that I should have been arrested for. However, due to the training my parents gave me I like to believe i would have accepted the consequences. In my own family we came to close quarters with this situation. One of our children had a domestic disturbance charge (no violence - just disruptive). As a result that child is not eligible for a CHL and I could say it is unfair because they did not know it would disqualify them for a CHL before the charge.

jmra
Posts in topic: 9

Post by jmra »

Hard for me to sympathize with those who have made "bad" choices.

I worked very hard my entire life to maintain my reputation. Many times I left the "party" early while I was sober enough and smart enough to know where things were headed. Others made the decision to stay and they paid for it.
I was willing to sacrifice instant gratification in order to ensure that one day my past didn't bite me in the hindquarters.
The worst encounter I have ever had with the police was a speeding ticket almost 30 years ago.

Does that make me better than anyone else now? No. But it does allow me to enjoy things now that those other guys are denied. Simply put, you reap what you sow. I do believe in Mercy but we are all subject to the laws of God, the laws of nature, and the laws of man.

So, if you had to have it then and would do whatever you had to do to have it; you may just have to do without now.
Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.
John Wayne
NRA Lifetime member

Andrew

Post by Andrew »

68blackbird wrote:My boss and I were talking a few years ago about some issues I was having with my son and 2 stepsons, he told me something that I will never forget, simple, but oh so true.... "everything you do matters".....think about it, it can be a good thing, or not so good thing...Kel
My Pop, used doors as an anology. When you are born there is an infinite number of doors for you and they are all open. Some of those doors are closed by others, parents, teachers, etc., some you close yourself through your choice's. Some doors can lead you back to an early larger option stage, others will deeply, persistently limit the doors you have to choose. Every door/choice you make matters, no matter how young or old you are.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”