would u let a guy know he is printing?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

The Annoyed Man
Posts in topic: 3

Re: would u let a guy know he is printing?

Post by The Annoyed Man »

C-dub wrote:I did once to a friend at the time. I didn't know he even had a CHL, but sure did that day. We were making a run to Whataburger for several friends that were together at an event and he put it on before we left. Regular pair of jeans and a fitted white t-shirt. While were standing in line waiting to order I could clearly see in his IWB that he had a mid sized Glock 9 or 40. I think I said something like, "I guess you have your CHL?" He actually seemed surprised. I told him he might want to think about a looser t-shirt and maybe a little darker color. He replied that as long as it was completely covered he was legal. I told him that was mostly correct, but even while covered if I can narrow it down to either of two models of Glocks then it might not be good enough cover. I think we only met once or twice more. Otherwise, he was a smart guy, but on this he was just plain defiant that what he was doing was adequate. He claimed he had never had a problem with it.
Some people are very vain about their clothing choices. Personally, I'm not vain about my appearance......which those of you who've met me will attest to. :mrgreen:

There are two young men at my church (who happen to be brothers), both of whom have carry weapons in .45 after talking to me about buying a gun. One has a Kimber Pro Carry II, the other has a XD Compact which he purchased from a forum member I put him in contact with. Both of them like to wear close fitting shirts and pants. They dress like "hipsters." They both ask me what will be the best way to conceal their chosen weapons because they want their CHLs. The first thing I tell them is that they are going to have to make some concessions to the way they dress or they are going to have a hard time concealing their pistols, and they are a little bit resistant to the idea because they have some of their identities tied up in the way they dress. It's not just that their shirts are too tight, it's that they are too short also. (Personally, I think that a lot of young men don't dress "manly" anymore. Some of these modern fashions are decidedly metrosexual, and they blur the male/female boundaries....but that's a whole 'nuther conversation....) Anyway, I keep trying to guide them toward some rational concessions to concealed carry.

In the end, there are three ways to approach clothing and concealed carry:
  1. Pick a gun, and then dress around it.
  2. Pick a fashion, and then find a gun that fits it.
  3. Some combination of #1 and #2.
I had this conversation too with the two brothers mentioned above before they bought their guns. We talked about the concealability/stopping power/caliber continuum AND the pros and cons of various clothing choices in that mix. In the end, they both decided they wanted a mid-sized carry pistol in .45 ACP and that they would then figure out how to dress around it. But in the end, neither are willing to wear slightly larger shirts in order to conceal. I love both of these guys like sons, but I think it boils down to a priorities issue, and I don't think they have the proper order of priorities for someone who wants to carry a pistol. The good news (I guess) is that until now, they haven't carried their guns, and I think it is because they know they can't conceal them AND dress the way they like to dress. I think it is foolish to place fashion ahead of safety, but at least they realize that they can't have both if they are going to wear "skinny clothes" AND carry a mid-sized .45.

C-dub, I think your former acquaintance is probably very aware that he prints badly, and he likes it. I think he is one of those people who "wants" people to know that he has a gun. If he is that vain about his clothing choices, then you can take to the bank that he likes to look at himself in a mirror. If he likes to look at himself in a mirror, and if the printing was that obvious to you, then you can take it to the bank that he already KNOWS he is printing. When people act all surprised when they are outed and it is THAT obvious, I don't believe they are surprised. I believe it is faked, and I believe that they get a secret charge out of having been identified as a gun-carrier, and they actually hope that people will notice it.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

johnferg69
Posts in topic: 2

Post by johnferg69 »

I wish we could get a sensible, responsible OC bill passed so this "printing" topic could get laid to rest.
But I'm pretty sure it never will. It'll just be another topic to divide our side by criticizing and finger pointing at others who do things differently.

RoyGBiv
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RoyGBiv »

"Just wanted to let you know that your Second Amendment is showing. "
Followed by a quick :patriot:
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

johnferg69 wrote:I wish we could get a sensible, responsible OC bill passed so this "printing" topic could get laid to rest.
But I'm pretty sure it never will. It'll just be another topic to divide our side by criticizing and finger pointing at others who do things differently.
While I agree that I wish we could get a sensible OC law passed, I don't think it will fix the "printing" issue.....if there really is one. What it will help with is "intentional failure to conceal." But in states that have both OC and CC, the CC law still requires that the gun be concealed but it typically doesn't address printing. There is no law specifically against printing in Texas. In practical application, printing concerns aren't about the law, they are about making sure that your carry method is discreet and doesn't give away the fact that you're packin' heat.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

fickman

Post by fickman »

would u let a guy know he is printing?
No, but when I was single, I might've used it as an ice breaker with a cute girl. . . :tiphat:
Native Texian

CowboyEngineer

Post by CowboyEngineer »

Unless I know the person, I would mind my own business move away from the person as there is no way to know if they are carrying legally or what their intentions are.
NRA Life Member
Glock 23
Tucker Gunleather "The Answer" IWB

johnferg69
Posts in topic: 2

Post by johnferg69 »

The Annoyed Man wrote:
johnferg69 wrote:I wish we could get a sensible, responsible OC bill passed so this "printing" topic could get laid to rest.
While I agree that I wish we could get a sensible OC law passed, I don't think it will fix the "printing" issue.....if there really is one. What it will help with is "intentional failure to conceal." But in states that have both OC and CC, the CC law still requires that the gun be concealed but it typically doesn't address printing. There is no law specifically against printing in Texas. In practical application, printing concerns aren't about the law, they are about making sure that your carry method is discreet and doesn't give away the fact that you're packin' heat.
I don't think an OC law will help with "intentional failure to conceal". Atleast not with the criticism by people on our side towards other chl holders. Just another topic to talk about.
I'm aware printing is not illegal. I'm 6'4, 230# and carry a FS M&P in a high riding kydex OWB holster. I could get by with XL shirts but I wear 3-4XL with long tails with high waisted Wrangler jeans. I actually wear my jeans over my gut instead of the "dunlap" method. Many, including my father-in-law, consider this "dangerous and irresponsible" to quote him. The wind might blow my shirt tail up or when I bend over someone could see the bulge of my grip? Maybe! But isn't that why there's no law against printing and wording "intentional failure to conceal" is there?
I'm not saying that there's probably people out there that could do a better job hiding their piece. But, IMHO, 99% of the gp never notice a gun thats printing. Its a much bigger issue on our side than to the general public.

RCP

Post by RCP »

Agreed, sounds like we are similar in size I wear a regular ol XL tshirt and also carry OWB but I can probably get away with the smaller shirt because I carry either a G26 or a compact XDm most of the time. Like you said other than fellow gun enthusiast I don't think other people notice whatsoever.

texanjoker

Post by texanjoker »

No.

M9FAN

Post by M9FAN »

For me, it all depends on the circumstances...
"Upon the conduct of each depends the fate of all." - Alexander the Great

Abraham

Post by Abraham »

No - Mind your own business.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

No...None of my business...They might not want anyone in their party to know what you and they are talking about either...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

anygunanywhere

Post by anygunanywhere »

My turn.

I'd just yell it out really loud from across the room/parking lot/whereever we are.

"Hey you!! Hey! You with the gun showing!! You better hide that thing before someone gets skeered and calls the law. You might start a stampeded in here! Are you nuts or what!?!!

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

G27RR

Post by G27RR »

CowboyEngineer wrote:Unless I know the person, I would mind my own business move away from the person as there is no way to know if they are carrying legally or what their intentions are.
Good answer.
TSRA Life Member, Second Amendment Foundation Life Member
NRA Endowment Life Member
My blog - http://g27rr.blogspot.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My EDC - STI Shadow

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”