Gun friendly campground?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
1s1k52
Posts in topic: 3

Gun friendly campground?

Post by 1s1k52 »

Looking for somewhere to setup a tent, fish, build a fire (if not in a burn ban) that is not prohibited to carry on property. Preferably 2 hours or under near McKinney. Thoughts?
(insert clever signature here)

anygunanywhere
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Gun friendly campground?

Post by anygunanywhere »

Texas state parks allow CHLs. There are concerns though if the parks are on Army Corps of Engineers property as those prohibit firearms. If you go to the Texas Parks and Wildlife website you can get tons of info on parks. Texas has a fantastic parks system.

If you search this site you might find more information on the subject.

Anygunanywhere
"When democracy turns to tyranny, the armed citizen still gets to vote." Mike Vanderboegh

"The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." – Ayn Rand

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

Yeah I should have specified. I am not having much luck as though it seems I am surrounded by core land. What the heck is there problem anyways. I can go get a permit to hunt with a shotgun but not carry a CCW? Makes sense

steveincowtown
Banned

Post by steveincowtown »

1s1k52 wrote:Looking for somewhere to setup a tent, fish, build a fire (if not in a burn ban) that is not prohibited to carry on property. Preferably 2 hours or under near McKinney. Thoughts?
Lake Tawakoni

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/lake-tawakoni" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It has a decent amount of somewhat private sites and some are within feet of decent fishing.
The Time is Now...
NRA Lifetime Member

gmckinl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gmckinl »

Bonham State Park?
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

papajohn1964

Post by papajohn1964 »

Well it's more than 2 hours but Riverbend RV Park in Luling is awesome. Maybe I'm a little bit biased since we live here and my wife is the manager but its an awesome park on the San Marcos river.
Yes the Marines are a Department of the Navy.....The Mens Department....
CHL since 7/11/11

Waco1959

Post by Waco1959 »

1s1k52 wrote:Looking for somewhere to setup a tent, fish, build a fire (if not in a burn ban) that is not prohibited to carry on property. Preferably 2 hours or under near McKinney. Thoughts?
Cleburne State Park
Meridian State Park
Fairfield Lake State Park
Fort Parker State Park

All have lakes NOT owned by the CoE. Think they were all built by the CCC but the lakes are smaller. All should be in the 1:45 to 2:15 drive time.

Jaguar

Post by Jaguar »

Waco1959 wrote:
Cleburne State Park
Meridian State Park
Fairfield Lake State Park
Fort Parker State Park

All have lakes NOT owned by the CoE. Think they were all built by the CCC but the lakes are smaller. All should be in the 1:45 to 2:15 drive time.
Lake Mineral Wells State Park
"I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -- James Madison

wally775

Post by wally775 »

+1 for Meridian State Park

:tiphat:

mewalke

Post by mewalke »

I'm glad I ran into this thread... I just realized that the two lakes within 15 minutes of me are Corps lakes... and many of the recreational areas around them are managed by the Corps - so I cannot carry while boating on those lakes or while in the designated recreational areas?

sdmahoney

Post by sdmahoney »

If you want to go up to Oklahoma, I think Lake Murray State Park off of 35 is a pretty decent place to go camping.

RAM4171
Location: On a dead end dirt road in the deep dark woods of East TEXAS

Post by RAM4171 »

="sdmahoney"]If you want to go up to Oklahoma, I think Lake Murray State Park off of 35 is a pretty decent place to go camping.
Lake Murray is beautiful, stayed at the Bed and Berth http://www.oklahomabedandberth.com/many times.
However to keep your money in TEXAS my vote is for Purtis Creek state park, just outside Eustace. The lake was actually built in the '80's as a fishing tournament lake. It's our favorite park next to our own personal park. Check it out.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/state-parks/purtis-creek" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Μολὼν λαβέ
Jesus was not politically correct, therefore I refuse to be
To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic-TN

Topic author
1s1k52

Post by 1s1k52 »

I will keep that in mind thanks for the replies. We bought a pass for the year to the Ray Roberts State Park. All the park police were really awesome, I can carry there, and we had a great time.

gmckinl
Posts in topic: 2

Post by gmckinl »

1s1k52 wrote:We bought a pass for the year to the Ray Roberts State Park. I can carry there
How did you reach that conclusion? Maybe I'm missing something, but I find this on the web "All public land at Ray Roberts Lake is owned by the Federal Government and is under the administration of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps)." :confused5
NRA Life Member

"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”