CHL renewal rules

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
PArrow
Posts in topic: 2

CHL renewal rules

Post by PArrow »

Has there been a change to the rules? Someone mentioned that after Sept 1 you didn't need to renew your CHL?
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the Body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind . . . Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
--Thomas Jefferson

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 6

Re: CHL renewal rules

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

PArrow wrote:Has there been a change to the rules? Someone mentioned that after Sept 1 you didn't need to renew your CHL?
You still have to renew, but you don't have to take a renewal class. However, the one year grace period to renew after your CHL expires is gone. You must renew prior to expiration. If you don't, then you have to take the course again, but it's now a minimum 4 hr. course, plus range time.

Chas.

Topic author
PArrow

Post by PArrow »

Do you have a link to this? My CHL is up in September and I'm now curious if I have to take a class of just send in my renewal..
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives a moderate exercise to the Body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind . . . Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of your walks."
--Thomas Jefferson

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

PArrow wrote:Do you have a link to this? My CHL is up in September and I'm now curious if I have to take a class of just send in my renewal..
http://www.capitol.state.tx.us/tlodocs/ ... navpanes=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Chas.

smittyM&P9c
Posts in topic: 1

Post by smittyM&P9c »

Mine expires on Sept 7.. I guess as long as I apply online before then (and after Sept 1), I should be okay?

I wonder if I will get a temporary paper license (like drivers license) so that I am covered until my new one arrives... I'm a little nervous about waiting till Sept 1 to start the renewal process. There seems to be a lot of unknowns as far as the new law being rolled out. And being that mine expires Sept 7, I won't have much time..

Guess I could just move ahead and take the class and do things the current way..

Any thoughts?

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

smittyM&P9c wrote:Mine expires on Sept 7.. I guess as long as I apply online before then (and after Sept 1), I should be okay?

I wonder if I will get a temporary paper license (like drivers license) so that I am covered until my new one arrives... I'm a little nervous about waiting till Sept 1 to start the renewal process. There seems to be a lot of unknowns as far as the new law being rolled out. And being that mine expires Sept 7, I won't have much time..

Guess I could just move ahead and take the class and do things the current way..

Any thoughts?
There are no temporary CHLs issued as with a driver's license. I expect DPS to be flooded with even more applications in September, so you'll be without a CHL for a time.

Chas.

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

Mr. Cotton:
It this why it's best to renew 5 to 6 months or so ahead of experation date? :headscratch
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Pecos wrote:Mr. Cotton:
It this why it's best to renew 5 to 6 months or so ahead of experation date? :headscratch
That's my recommendation, but the passage of HB48 changes things. Renewing before Sept. 1st means you have to take a class, while those renewing after Sept. 1st only have to apply with DPS online. Again, the grace period to renew after expiration will be gone as of Sept. 1st.

Chas.

Pecos

Post by Pecos »

Thanks for clearing that up. Seams fair to me. Mine doesnt expire till 2017 Dec 31st. :thumbs2:
Sig AR 516 + Vortex PST Scope

Estand
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Estand »

Charles L. Cotton wrote: That's my recommendation, but the passage of HB48 changes things. Renewing before Sept. 1st means you have to take a class, while those renewing after Sept. 1st only have to apply with DPS online. Again, the grace period to renew after expiration will be gone as of Sept. 1st.
Chas.
"the grace period to renew after expiration will be gone as of Sept. 1st."

Mr. Cotton, I've been trying to keep up with all the expected details starting Sept 1st, but I was not aware of the change in renewal grace period until I read your statement in quotes above. Now I have a big concern about my renewal suddenly and asking for clarity on my two options of renewal…

My license expires mid August. So far I've had to make the difficult choice not to sign up for a renewal class (yet) when my reminder came from DPS because money is too tight for both a class and license fees. Also I was aware of the 1 year period to renew, so I planned to do it as soon as I could find the $ and hoped to by now actually.

Then I became aware of these changes proposed, and now they are happening for sure starting Sept 1st. I was very happy with the fact that starting Sept 1st. I would be able to apply for my renewal and just have to pay license fee (which I can now). I realize I would be without a valid license until the new one comes. My question is, if my license expires Aug 15th, and I wait until Sept 1st and renew online, will I be able to do this?

If not, I would hate to think I'd have to start all over as a new applicant. And if that’s the case I need to find a renewal class immediately before my expiration as well as $ for it. If I have to go this route, when does my paperwork need to be in the mail? I would greatly appreciate your clarity on this issue if you please.

Tic Tac
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Tic Tac »

To skip the renewal class, you must apply before your license expires and after the new law goes into effect.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Tic Tac wrote:To skip the renewal class, you must apply before your license expires and after the new law goes into effect.
Where are you getting that information? Can you please supply a valid source?
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Keith B wrote:
Tic Tac wrote:To skip the renewal class, you must apply before your license expires and after the new law goes into effect.
It's in HB48.

Chas.
HB48 wrote:read as follows:
Sec. 411.185. LICENSE RENEWAL PROCEDURE. (a) To renew a license, a license holder must, on or before the date the license expires,

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Estand wrote:
Charles L. Cotton wrote: That's my recommendation, but the passage of HB48 changes things. Renewing before Sept. 1st means you have to take a class, while those renewing after Sept. 1st only have to apply with DPS online. Again, the grace period to renew after expiration will be gone as of Sept. 1st.
Chas.
"the grace period to renew after expiration will be gone as of Sept. 1st."

Mr. Cotton, I've been trying to keep up with all the expected details starting Sept 1st, but I was not aware of the change in renewal grace period until I read your statement in quotes above. Now I have a big concern about my renewal suddenly and asking for clarity on my two options of renewal…

My license expires mid August. So far I've had to make the difficult choice not to sign up for a renewal class (yet) when my reminder came from DPS because money is too tight for both a class and license fees. Also I was aware of the 1 year period to renew, so I planned to do it as soon as I could find the $ and hoped to by now actually.

Then I became aware of these changes proposed, and now they are happening for sure starting Sept 1st. I was very happy with the fact that starting Sept 1st. I would be able to apply for my renewal and just have to pay license fee (which I can now). I realize I would be without a valid license until the new one comes. My question is, if my license expires Aug 15th, and I wait until Sept 1st and renew online, will I be able to do this?

If not, I would hate to think I'd have to start all over as a new applicant. And if that’s the case I need to find a renewal class immediately before my expiration as well as $ for it. If I have to go this route, when does my paperwork need to be in the mail? I would greatly appreciate your clarity on this issue if you please.
Since your license expires prior to Sept, 1st, the new law won't help you this time. If your license is allowed to expire in August, then you will have to take the shorter CHL course, but you'll have to pay the higher initial fee to the DPS.

Chas.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Keith B wrote:
It's in HB48.

Chas.
Thanks Charles. I misread the OP's comment and thought they were saying if you sent your paperwork in before September 1 you would be able to skip the class. :oops:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”