Clarifying how to 'undo' your CHL for the moment.

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
MaxBerlin
Posts in topic: 1

Clarifying how to 'undo' your CHL for the moment.

Post by MaxBerlin »

So this has happened twice to me. Went out, realized I forgot CHL when I got to the store. Went to a dinner party, had CHL but had a drink. I have a hatchback so no trunk.

It's awkward to walk around to the back of the car with a weapon and unload and unchamber it so both times I've done this while in the drivers seat. Unload, unchamber, separate the weapon and ammo.

When needed is it suitable enough to have the weapon unloaded and the ammo in a second location or does it all need to be out of reach from the drivers seat?

apostate

Re: Clarifying how to 'undo' your CHL for the moment.

Post by apostate »

I would simply lock it in the car but, then again, I don't drive drunk.

Topbuilder

Post by Topbuilder »

You can have a loaded weapon in your car without a CHL.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God, and the Bible." George Washington

cb1000rider

Post by cb1000rider »

Topbuilder wrote:You can have a loaded weapon in your car without a CHL.
But if you're stopped, likely your CHL will show up. Failure to disclose it, while not a crime, may have other consequences.

I just bought a set of $40 electronic safes from Amazon. If I had a hatchback, I'd mount one in the back. Problem solved.

BrianSW99

Post by BrianSW99 »

apostate wrote:I would simply lock it in the car but, then again, I don't drive drunk.
:iagree: If you think you've had too much to carry, you've also had to much to drive as the legal standard for intoxicated is the same for both.

Brian
NRA & TSRA Member
CHL Instructor

Wes

Post by Wes »

You don't need to unload it, just put the loaded weapon in the back compartment. An attached trunk safe is a plus, but not required (if it will fit back there).
Alliance Arsenal - Firearms and transfers in north Ft. Worth

Oldgringo

Post by Oldgringo »

apostate wrote:I would simply lock it in the car but, then again, I don't drive drunk.
Good one! :tiphat:

:smilelol5: "rlol" :smilelol5:

RogueUSMC

Post by RogueUSMC »

I think loaded or unloaded is irrelevant to the situation...just disarm, don't worry about unloading the weapon.
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

SQLGeek

Post by SQLGeek »

Depending upon how strong the drink is, I don't know that I personally would disarm in either situation.

I do disarm and rearm every day when getting to and leaving work. My current method of carry is an IWB in a sticky holster so I just pull the whole rig out and stash it in my car.

You can get a car Nano vault for about $20-30 that will let you lock it up under your seat and you can even cable lock the vault to the frame of your seat to prevent a quick snatch and grab. This would accomplish the goal of having your gun locked up. I also wouldn't bother unloading it.
Psalm 91:2

RiverCity.45

Post by RiverCity.45 »

cb1000rider wrote:But if you're stopped, likely your CHL will show up. Failure to disclose it, while not a crime, may have other consequences.
Technically, it certainly is still a "crime," in that the code still mandates the presentation of our CHL when asked for identification by law enforcement. I think what you mean is that there is no criminal penalty for failing to do this, as there used to be. The requirement didn't go away, just the penalty. :smash:
9/21/09 - Received license
"Nothing is so dangerous as an idea when it is the only one you have." - Emile Chartier

GlockDude26

Post by GlockDude26 »

RiverCity.45 wrote:
cb1000rider wrote:But if you're stopped, likely your CHL will show up. Failure to disclose it, while not a crime, may have other consequences.
Technically, it certainly is still a "crime," in that the code still mandates the presentation of our CHL when asked for identification by law enforcement. I think what you mean is that there is no criminal penalty for failing to do this, as there used to be. The requirement didn't go away, just the penalty. :smash:
oooo lightbulb with a question?!!?!?!?

i was told that if you are not carrying at the time you do not have to present your chl badge to law enforcement. so does the term "carrying" only mean on your person or does that envelop your vehicle as well?

the scenario i'm trying to ask is say you have your pistol in the truck in a locked gun safe and you are pulled over for a traffic violation. this isn't even about drinking 100% sober, alert, normal. are you still required to inform the officer that you have a weapon in the vehicle?
"Our houses are protected by the Good Lord and a gun, you might em both if you show up here not welcome son" Josh Thompson- Way out here (best song ever) "eventually all citizens will become criminals with enough legislation....."

JJVP

Post by JJVP »

Ultra_Solo_Sig_0904 wrote:
RiverCity.45 wrote:
oooo lightbulb with a question?!!?!?!?

i was told that if you are not carrying at the time you do not have to present your chl badge to law enforcement. so does the term "carrying" only mean on your person or does that envelop your vehicle as well?

the scenario i'm trying to ask is say you have your pistol in the truck in a locked gun safe and you are pulled over for a traffic violation. this isn't even about drinking 100% sober, alert, normal. are you still required to inform the officer that you have a weapon in the vehicle?
GC §411.205. REQUIREMENT TO DISPLAY LICENSE. (a) If a license holder is carrying a handgun on or about the license holder's person when a magistrate or a peace officer demands that the license holder display identification, the license holder shall display both the license holder's driver's license or identification certificate issued by the department and the license holder's handgun license
The trunk is not "on or about". No need to inform. Now, if he asks if there is a gun in the car, don't lie. Just say there is one, or two, or three, or however many, in the trunk.
2nd Amendment. America's Original Homeland Security.
Alcohol, Tobacco , Firearms. Who's Bringing the Chips?
No Guns. No Freedom. Know Guns. Know Freedom.

wheelgun1958

Post by wheelgun1958 »

Ultra_Solo_Sig_0904 wrote:i was told that if you are not carrying at the time you do not have to present your chl badge to law enforcement.
Just wear your tiara!

"rlol"

bdickens

Post by bdickens »

What is the purpose of unloading the gun and separating the ammo from it?
Byron Dickens

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”