CC in a wheelchair

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
chasfm11
Posts in topic: 2

CC in a wheelchair

Post by chasfm11 »

A friend of mine who is in a wheelchair wants to get his CHL. He is an avid shooter and NRA member but has been concerned about how he would handle CC. He is looking at different guns for his EDC and recently shot an Ultra Carry II but choked on the $1,300 price tag. He currently owns a .357 revolver.

I've seen the video about the chair mounted holster with a cover that is recommended by others in chairs. My friend, however, works for the Federal government and I'm not sure it would work for him to mount and unmount the holster daily. I cannot imagine leaving the empty holster mounted, even covered during the day going well for him. I haven't pursued whether the mount but not the holster could practically be left attached to the chair. The chair mount seems to be the best solution from a CC perspective. I'm a little concerned about how easy the cover removes and how that might work when he gets in and out of chair and into a car.

He has good upper body movement but in watching him, only a Kangroo Carry or other shoulder holster setup would appear to work. I've seen the chair mounted fanny packs and didn't know if one of those might be a workable compromise or not. It is clear that the wheelchair imposes limits on movement that the rest of us don't have but even with that, having a gun with limitations is better than not having a gun at all.

Inputs are appreciated.

Charlie
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

stevem

Re: CC in a wheelchair

Post by stevem »

I had a double amputee vet in one of our classes last month and he did just fine with a standard inside-the-waistband strong side holster. I understand that might not be an option for your friend. Consider that within the context of being assaulted in a wheel chair it's very likely one is going to get knocked out of the chair, so having the pistol on your person is preferable to chair-mounted.
Screen shot 2013-11-20 at 7.53.27 AM.png

stevem

Post by stevem »

And if your friend can't conceal at all maybe he should consider open carry. :mrgreen:
photo44.jpg

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 1

Post by RogueUSMC »

It is obvious that being in a wheelchair removes carry options but I am of the opinion that the unique options a wheelchair provides significantly outnumber the traditional carry options that are not feasible in a wheelchair. No offense to those in chairs, but I think it would be enjoyable to explore those options.

Think about it...
  • In a wheelchair, you are below the sightlines of the average joe. This gives a distinct advantage of being defaulted lower on a threat assessment.
  • In a wheelchair, the average joe cannot evaluate the fit of your clothes as efficiently. Someone in a position other than a standard standing posture is going to hide irregularities in apparel caused by a gun easier.
  • in a wheelchair, the presence of a backpack, fannypack or other type of bag is not going to be cause for notice as much.
The above can also be applied to walkers, canes etc.

Example: I made a holster to wear on my thigh under cargo shorts. The cargo pocket masks the gun well. If I were in a chair though, I could mount the holster IN the cargo pocket and it would be easier to access and still masked just as well.

Just my two cents adjusted for inflation...
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

tommyg

Post by tommyg »

Go to Deepconceal.com a cowboy shirt over a deepconceal shoulder holster will be great for him
N.R.A. benefactor Member :tiphat: Please Support the N.R.A. :patriot:

SpringerFan

Post by SpringerFan »

I build custom wheelchairs for a living. Many of my clients have their chl, and I have assisted many of them with carry options. I just need to get some more information about your friend. (injury level, range of motion, ect.) PM me or just have your friend give me a call, I would love to help.
Richard
832-767-9296
"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it."
Col. Jeff Cooper

mr surveyor

Post by mr surveyor »

I have a good friend on another forum that's been in a "chair" for several years after a severe back injury. He carries both IWB and ankle, usually together. I think I even remember him saying he used shoulder rigs occasionally.

I think it would depend a lot on the type and severity of the disability, but on body carry shouldn't normally be out of the question.

JD
It's not gun control that we need, it's soul control!

Topic author
chasfm11

Post by chasfm11 »

My friend appears to have full use of his arms and some ability to move his trunk. He is not an amputee but he has no use of either leg. His current chair has a very low back, suggesting that he has strong core muscles that will support him. With his position in his current chair, anything past 3 o'clock (he is right handed) appears to be difficult.

This was the video that I watched, trying to gather information
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkGve5G3rGI

My judgement is that my friend as similar mobility to Scott in the video.
6/23-8/13/10 -51 days to plastic
Dum Spiro, Spero

SewTexas

Post by SewTexas »

I might be wrong, but this might actually be a great case for IWB cross-draw? try it while sitting, actually have more movement room (I can't come up with better wording for that?).

I've often been glad in the car that that's where I carry.
~Tracy
Gun control is what you talk about when you don't want to talk about the truth ~ Colion Noir

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”