30.06 At entrance to work parking lot

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Keith B
Posts in topic: 7

Re: 30.06 At entrance to work parking lot

Post by Keith B »

jbarn wrote: I was actually referring to the buildings. I was not clear.
I would definately agree there. :tiphat:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

redfeather crow
Posts in topic: 1

Post by redfeather crow »

If a hardware store can prohibit firearms in their parking lot, except for their employees, why can't a property management company prohibit firearms in their parking lots, except for their employees?

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

Keith B wrote:
jbarn wrote: I was actually referring to the buildings. I was not clear.
I would definately agree there. :tiphat:
Definitely. :tiphat:
NRA Endowment Member

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

redfeather crow wrote:If a hardware store can prohibit firearms in their parking lot, except for their employees, why can't a property management company prohibit firearms in their parking lots, except for their employees?
Case law? Not saying that I personally want to be any sort of "test case". However, I see a lot of things stated but I'd really love to see some sort of documented case law to show how that has worked in real life. Not picking on you, this sort of thing has come up before on the forum.

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

redfeather crow wrote:If a hardware store can prohibit firearms in their parking lot, except for their employees, why can't a property management company prohibit firearms in their parking lots, except for their employees?
They can prohibit hqndguns carried under a CHL under penal code 30.06. However, 30.06 only applies to handguns carried under a CHL. When I carry in my car, itnis not under a CHL. So 30.06 signs at parking lots mean nothing to me unless I step out of the car with the handgun. And if I own a shop in the business, or lease a space, I csn carry under penal code 46.02. 30.06 would not apply to me there.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

Topic author
timdsmith72
Posts in topic: 9

Post by timdsmith72 »

I did a little cruise around the parking lot this morning. The only place they have the sign is at that "Employee Only" entrance. No sign at the visitor entrance.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

timdsmith72 wrote:I did a little cruise around the parking lot this morning. The only place they have the sign is at that "Employee Only" entrance. No sign at the visitor entrance.
They may be well aware that the parking lot is allowed to keep in vehicle, but stepping out on the parking lot with the gun would be a violation. It may also be a method of only having to post one or two signs and covering the whole facility by having it 'conspicuously displayed'.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

oohrah

Post by oohrah »

jbarn, point of order. I think you are taking a risky position to assume that MPA would trump CHL carry in the vehicle, especially if the handgun was "on, or about your person".
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

oohrah wrote:jbarn, point of order. I think you are taking a risky position to assume that MPA would trump CHL carry in the vehicle, especially if the handgun was "on, or about your person".
I will jump in here. There has been discussion in the past that since you do not need a license to have a gun in your vehicle that MPA overrides CHL in that case.

Again, there is no case law on this particular setup, but it does fall in line with other general scenarios of licensed vs. unlicensed.
Keith

jbarn

Post by jbarn »

oohrah wrote:jbarn, point of order. I think you are taking a risky position to assume that MPA would trump CHL carry in the vehicle, especially if the handgun was "on, or about your person".
I never said MPA trumps anything. Laws don't trump each other. When I carry in my car I am not carrying under the authority of a CHL. 46.02 of the penal code says I can car carry. 46.15 (b) states times when the prohibitions in 46.02 do not apply. CHL is under 46.15 (b)

I don't need 46.15 (b) to car carry.
Texas CHL Instructor
Texas DPS Certified Private Security Classroom and Firearms Instructor
TCLEOSE Instructor (now TCOLE)

MeMelYup

Post by MeMelYup »

You need to send the sign information to Charles with a picture as he was looking for that kind of info a couple months ago.

Topic author
timdsmith72
Posts in topic: 9

Post by timdsmith72 »

MeMelYup wrote:You need to send the sign information to Charles with a picture as he was looking for that kind of info a couple months ago.
Really? If this is true, I'll take a picture in the morning and send him some information.

Jumping Frog

Post by Jumping Frog »

There was a recent Greg Abbott AG letter regarding firearms on school property, where he made the precise point of noting what authority the firearm possession was covered by.
-Just call me Bob . . . Texas Firearms Coalition, NRA Life member, TSRA Life member, and OFCC Patron member

This froggie ain't boiling! Shall not be infringed! Μολών Λαβέ

nightmare69

Post by nightmare69 »

Jumping Frog wrote:
There was a recent Greg Abbott AG letter regarding firearms on school property, where he made the precise point of noting what authority the firearm possession was covered by.
Got that letter handy?
2/26-Mailed paper app and packet.
5/20-Plastic in hand.
83 days mailbox to mailbox.

WildBill
Posts in topic: 3

Post by WildBill »

nightmare69 wrote:
Jumping Frog wrote:
Got that letter handy?
You can search here: https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/opin/opindex.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.texasattorneygeneral.gov/op ... 1158GA.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by WildBill on Thu May 01, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Member

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”