Permitless Carry in Texas

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Permitless Carry in Texas

Post by carlson1 »

I hope the LTC never go away. There are too many States we go to that I would not be able to carry without a LTC.

It is going to be interesting to see how many legal signs go up for a while to keep firearms out of business’. When open carried passed we seen a lot of 30.06 signs along with 30.07 go up. After a while the 30.06 signs came down. We shall see.

I still would like to know what the amendments are. Will everyone who OC be stopped and ask for ID?

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Papa_Tiger »

carlson1 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:52 pm I hope the LTC never go away. There are too many States we go to that I would not be able to carry without a LTC.

It is going to be interesting to see how many legal signs go up for a while to keep firearms out of business’. When open carried passed we seen a lot of 30.06 signs along with 30.07 go up. After a while the 30.06 signs came down. We shall see.

I still would like to know what the amendments are. Will everyone who OC be stopped and ask for ID?
Enrolled version can be found here:
https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87R/b ... 01927F.htm

This is the final, cleaned up version of the conference committee report that is going to the governor.

The Dutton amendment that codified the 4th amendment relating to firearms (cannot be stopped and asked for ID ONLY because a firearm is visible) was removed from the final version of the bill at the request of Law Enforcement. Schwertner swore up and down during his closing that the 4th Amendment still protects people, and that absent reasonable articulable suspicion that a crime was committed, is about to be committed, or is being committed (Terry stop threshold), citizens shouldn't be harassed by police officers just for carrying.

Open carry wound up being a big nothing-burger as far as that goes, but we'll see what happens with unlicensed carry.

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

carlson1 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:52 pm
IIRC, the amendment to .07 regarded being stopped and asked for an LTC, not an ID.
-Ruark

K.Mooneyham

Post by K.Mooneyham »

All I can say is that DPS really needs to get a new LTC pamphlet posted as quickly as possible to outline all those changes in PLAIN LANGUAGE (vs the legalese of the actual law).

Papa_Tiger
Posts in topic: 3

Post by Papa_Tiger »

Ruark wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 9:53 am
carlson1 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:52 pm
IIRC, the amendment to .07 regarded being stopped and asked for an LTC, not an ID.
If you are thinking of the Dutton amendment to the open carry law when 84R HB 910 was being discussed, you are correct.

The Dutton amendment to HB 1927 was applicable to ALL persons, not just license holders. Unlicensed open carry will be legal come September 1, 2021. The Dutton amendment sought to solidify our 4th amendment rights and prevent abuse by police officers, but it was strongly opposed by law enforcement and was stripped in the Senate version as well as the conference committee report.

The text of the Dutton amendment to HB 1927 is below:
Sec. 411.2049. CERTAIN INVESTIGATORY STOPS AND INQUIRIES PROHIBITED. A peace officer may not make an investigatory stop or other temporary detention to inquire as to a person’s possession o fa handgun solely because the person is carrying a partially or wholly visible handgun in a holster

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Thu May 27, 2021 8:11 am
carlson1 wrote: Wed May 26, 2021 11:52 pm I hope the LTC never go away. There are too many States we go to that I would not be able to carry without a LTC.

Enrolled version can be found here:
https://capitol.texas.gov/tlodocs/87R/b ... 01927F.htm

This is the final, cleaned up version of the conference committee report that is going to the governor.

The Dutton amendment that codified the 4th amendment relating to firearms (cannot be stopped and asked for ID ONLY because a firearm is visible) was removed from the final version of the bill at the request of Law Enforcement. Schwertner swore up and down during his closing that the 4th Amendment still protects people, and that absent reasonable articulable suspicion that a crime was committed, is about to be committed, or is being committed (Terry stop threshold), citizens shouldn't be harassed by police officers just for carrying.

Open carry wound up being a big nothing-burger as far as that goes, but we'll see what happens with unlicensed carry.
Schwertner swore up and down during his closing that the 4th Amendment still protects people, and that absent reasonable articulable suspicion that a crime was committed, is about to be committed, or is being committed (Terry stop threshold), citizens shouldn't be harassed by police officers just for carrying.
He's right, but it would be much better to have codified in state law, so that any challenge to an unconstitutional detention doesn't have to rely on federal constitutional precedent.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

striker55
Posts in topic: 2

Post by striker55 »

I will renew my LTC when it's due.

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

My wife and I both will continue to renew our LTC's.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”