How Many Reloads Should A Private Citizen Carry?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 7

Re: How Many Reloads Should A Private Citizen Carry?

Post by Paladin »

NotRPB wrote: Mon Jun 06, 2022 7:48 am i haven't carried "reloads" in about 8 years
My Glock 30S uses a Glock 21 mag with a PearceGrip +2 baseplate so I have 15+1 in .45
if that well runs dry...
my pocket BUG is a Glock 26 with a Glock 17 mag with a PearceGrip +3 base plate for 20+1 rounds of 9mm
if that well runs dry...
I have my 5-1/2" blade & a small tactical flashlight
I live in a smaller town now,
if it grows into the Houston/Austin size like where I moved from, I may start carrying a "reload" again
wait...
yeah, that should get me to the car where there's two 30 round 9mm mag "reloads" & hopefully that'll get me home.
:cheers2:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 7

Post by Paladin »

A Rebuttal To Mas Ayoob's Video On Carrying A Reload:

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Rafe
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Rafe »

Personally, I've made the decision to not bother carrying spare magazines or a backup gun anymore. Instead, I've started carrying Nate "Hort" Horton. Hort is a former SEAL Team 6 member who decided not to re-up with the Navy in 2020.

Sure, Hort is heavier than my 1911 or my Springer XDm plus any spare, charged mags. He also gets moody about having to live above my garage and go with me whenever I leave the house. Some of those times I catch him by surprise and he's wearing really ratty T-shirts and cargo shorts that look like they've been to every Metallica concert since 1986; I've been forced to leave some establishments and events because I was carrying Hort. And it really grates on him that he can't go anywhere without me.

Hort was miffed over the SEALs finally selecting the G19 to replace the SIG P226 after he decided not to re-up, because he was never the biggest fan of the P226. He remains miffed that I don't use a G19 and that he then has to match platforms with whatever I use on a given day. About 80% of the time it's a 1911 and he isn't thrilled about that. He keeps saying I should just go all-out and get an Alec Baldwin Special: a single-action Long Colt; commenting that Baldwin proved those effective enough and it could put me back even before 1911, into the 19th century, and that I should just love that.

So, sure. Hort is heavy; he's awkward to carry; he can be a pain; he doesn't fit it everyplace I go; it isn't safe to leave him locked in the car those times I can't carry him; and if people spot him, despite being concealed, there can be a MWAG reaction.

But like Clint Smith always says: one is none, and two is one.

:biggrinjester:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

carlson1
Posts in topic: 4

Post by carlson1 »

It is absolutely a personal choice. I guess who you put more confidence in and life experiences.

With my experiences I choose to always carry reloads and a lot of times a second gun. My prayer is I never again have to use either one of them ever again.

It is a lot like those who carry a gun and they know they could never use a firearm to protect them or anyone else. Best thing is NOT to carry.

PUCKER
Posts in topic: 1

Post by PUCKER »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Wed Jun 01, 2022 5:44 pm I saw that video when it first posted. I don’t disagree with his statistics or the likelihood of being in a gunfight in which I need all 16 rounds in my pistol, and have previously posted this idea myself. That’s NOT why I carry 2 spare mags.

I carry 2 spare mags for the same reason that I (a non-smoker) also carry:

(1) a rechargeable butane lighter/torch, a high quality pocket knife, a good strong pocket flashlight, a tourniquet, and a cellphone on my person; and

(2) a pair of binoculars, an IFAK, something to eat, writing materials and spare glasses, a large fixed-blade knife, a multi tool, other sundries, and water bottles in my 24 Hr pack; and

(3) a case of water bottles, a light chest rig with spare mags for rifle and pistol and an admin pouch, a bivvy sack and woobie (sleeping bag during winter), a well-stocked STOMP bag, a spare pair of boots, a camp stove, etc., etc. in the back of my vehicle.
Nice!! :patriot: :tiphat:
Need to see pix of this setup in a different thread, maybe? I'm waaaaaaay behind, but have some things with me just as a matter of course - it also depends on where I'm going and *how* I'm getting there (ie - flying to Chicagoland - if I'm carryon only I've got my tactical pen and a flashlight, if I'm checking a bag then I've got a great blade too along with a torch and cigars of course, if I'm driving...well, you know...).

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”