Top 5 Most Common Self-Defense Scenarios

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Paladin
Posts in topic: 1

Top 5 Most Common Self-Defense Scenarios

Post by Paladin »

Avoidance is a primary tactic for self defense. Good to be aware of likely scenarios:

JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

03Lightningrocks

Re: Top 5 Most Common Self-Defense Scenarios

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Good video. I have been involved in two situations of having to use a firearm for self defense. The first was a co-worker who attacked me with a baseball bat. Hit me at least three times and the last one caught me in the head. I saw stars. Pulled out a gun and he took off running. I fired a couple rounds over his head to keep him going. This happened on DFW airport property. I went immediately to the DFW airport police department and reported it. The officers took my report and sent me home after asking if I wanted to go to hospital. Two days later I get a call from them and a Lieutenant suggested I not press charges and drop it due to it creating an issue with me using a firearm. I took his advice. That was 1984.

The second was a guy who road raged on me and had a shot gun. I kept trying to get away but he would not stop. I fired three rounds into his truck as he got up beside me. Again, I called the police when I got home. Got arrested, spent one night at Dallas county jail, posted a 150K bond and went home. Grand Jury no-billed both charges of AA and AM due to self defense. Never got the whole story but apparently his passenger told the truth because he/she(not sure which) was so irritated the driver was acting like that. This one was in 1996 just after CHL was instituted. I did not have one.

In both cases I was carrying in my vehicle based on traveling more than one county from my home. The political climate was much different back then. In both cases, in today's world, I would probably have been sent to prison.

About the video. Getting into someone else's fights is not something I would even consider. I am too damned old for that. There are situations I might get involved, but even then it is risky. You see some guy grabbing a kid and the kid is screaming their head off. Is it a dad with a bad behaved child or is it kidnapping? I don't do bars so that one is not a problem. Dog attacking me or my dog, I would shoot the attacking dog. Sorry but I would. I don't do road rage. Have not in years. Maybe the incident in 1996 taught me something. As I get older I drive the speed limit or under if I am falling asleep...LOL. I intentionally try to be polite when driving. I yield the right away, even if I don't have to. I always stop before blocking cross streets to let people in. Someone cuts me off, I just slow down a bit and let them go on their way. I just don't need the stress of driving aggressively.

JustSomeOldGuy

Re: Top 5 Most Common Self-Defense Scenarios

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

As long as you're driving the speed limit somewhere OTHER THAN THE LEFTMOST LANE, we're good. ;-)
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”