Targets

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
ElGato
Posts in topic: 3

Targets

Post by ElGato »

I just got my first order of the new CHL target, the B-27, I ordered them in green thinking they would be a light green and easier to to find your sights on, they came in much darker than I expected, but I think will still be much better than that dark blue and I like the fact that they score center of mass. If any of you try the other colors and like them, let me know, I might try a different color or different maker next order.
Tomcat
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 1

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Tom:
Thanks for you help with the walls; it was good to see you again.

I didn't know there was a new CHL target. I took my legal assistance to the range to let her shoot the old one, so she'd feel more comfortable taking the CHL class. :oops: Is DPS using the standard B27 target now?
How will it be scored?

Thanks,
Chas.

Topic author
ElGato
Posts in topic: 3

Post by ElGato »

We will use the old target until the first of the year or until we run out of them. I still have about 100 of them left. The B-27 will be scored X,10,9,8 rings = 5, 7 ring =4, all other hits including the head = 3. I think most students and instructors will like it better and we have 4 color choices that should work better with different backgrounds
Tomcat
http://www.tomestepshooting.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm better at retirement than anything I have ever tried. Me
Young People pratice to get better, Old folk's pratice to keep from getting WORSE. Me

one eyed fatman
Banned

Post by one eyed fatman »

We want pic's... We want pic's... We want pic's... Stomp your hands and clap your feet.

txinvestigator
Posts in topic: 4

Post by txinvestigator »

orc4hire

Post by orc4hire »

Last edited by orc4hire on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

ghentry

Post by ghentry »

I prefer this target

Paladin

Re: Targets

Post by Paladin »

ElGato wrote:I like the fact that they score center of mass.
Ahhhh, man...I was thinking of going for 250 next time with all headshots! :cry: :wink:
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

30Carb
Posts in topic: 2

?

Post by 30Carb »

What about the body-armor-wearing target? This must be the target that Mr. Mark Wilson, God rest his soul, practiced and tested on.

(Not trying to be disrespectful of the deceased. But we operate the way we train.)

txinvestigator

Re: ?

Post by txinvestigator »

30Carb wrote:
What about the body-armor-wearing target? This must be the target that Mr. Mark Wilson, God rest his soul, practiced and tested on.

(Not trying to be disrespectful of the deceased. But we operate the way we train.)
I would not presume to make such an assmption.

DPS has reason to change to this target, but first I will address the "we operate the way we train" comment. We have no idea how WIlson trained. Did he practice failure to stop drills? The type of target matters not, what DOES matter is HOW you practice on that target.

Do you practce multiple attacker drills, reload drills, failure to stop drills, clearing stoppages, moving to cover, CQB, weak hand shooting, etc?

DPS changed this target based on their investigation into the shooting involving a Trooper in Schwartz, TX. I won't get into details, but their reasoning seemed sound to me.

stevie_d_64

Re: Targets

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Paladin wrote:
ElGato wrote:I like the fact that they score center of mass.
Ahhhh, man...I was thinking of going for 250 next time with all headshots! :cry: :wink:
I kinda liked doing the whole "punching a smily face" in the head at 3 yards during the course of fire...

I guess I watch too many movies... :lol:
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

orc4hire

Post by orc4hire »

B-27 encourages shooting too low, I think. Upper chest is a much better target area than lower abdomen... but not on a B-27.

txinvestigator

Post by txinvestigator »

orc4hire wrote:B-27 encourages shooting too low, I think. Upper chest is a much better target area than lower abdomen... but not on a B-27.
Actually the opposite is true, according to the research the DPS has shown. People who do not shoot low by jerking seem to shoot high in a combat type situation. It is caused by the shooter focusing on the front sight as taught, but allowing it to get too high in order to see it clearly.

And the B27 allows upper chest shots.

orc4hire

Post by orc4hire »

Last edited by orc4hire on Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

30Carb
Posts in topic: 2

Re: ?

Post by 30Carb »

txinvestigator wrote:
30Carb wrote:

I would not presume to make such an assmption.

DPS has reason to change to this target, but first I will address the "we operate the way we train" comment. We have no idea how WIlson trained. Did he practice failure to stop drills? The type of target matters not, what DOES matter is HOW you practice on that target.

Do you practce multiple attacker drills, reload drills, failure to stop drills, clearing stoppages, moving to cover, CQB, weak hand shooting, etc?

DPS changed this target based on their investigation into the shooting involving a Trooper in Schwartz, TX. I won't get into details, but their reasoning seemed sound to me.
Great reply and lots of info. Thanks!

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”