Open Carry in your Vehicle

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Eddie A.
Posts in topic: 2

Open Carry in your Vehicle

Post by Eddie A. »

Is it legal to open carry in your vehicle, being that it is your property. I know that you can open carry in your home and on your property, but I'm not sure if that applies to vehicles. I didn't see it specifically addressed in the law.
"I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it."

frankie_the_yankee
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

HB1815 allows for car carry without a CHL, but the gun must be concealed.

When you're carrying in your car with a CHL, the gun must be concealed. A car is not considered to be property in the same sense that your home and yard are.

But note that for most purposes, an RV is considered to be your "home" just like a house or apartment is. So as I read the law, you could carry openly when inside your RV.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

seamusTX
Posts in topic: 1

Post by seamusTX »

frankie_the_yankee wrote:But note that for most purposes, an RV is considered to be your "home" just like a house or apartment is. So as I read the law, you could carry openly when inside your RV.
I think the law applies differently when you're in the driver seat versus in the living quarters:
PC §46.03(a-2) For purposes of this section, "premises" includes real property and a recreational vehicle that is being used as living quarters, regardless of whether that use is temporary or permanent. In this subsection, "recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle primarily designed as temporary living quarters or a vehicle that contains temporary living quarters and is designed to be towed by a motor vehicle. The term includes a travel trailer, camping trailer, truck camper, motor home, and horse trailer with living quarters.
IMHO, if you're driving, the weapon has to be concealed.

- Jim

Topic author
Eddie A.
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Eddie A. »

Thanks for the clarification guys. I was pretty sure that I couldn't open carry in my vehicle but I needed to confirm. Thanks again.
"I'd rather have my gun and not need it, than need it and not have it."

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”