Academy asking unnecessary questions

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

03Lightningrocks
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Academy asking unnecessary questions

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

ScottDLS wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:03 pm Might have just been a sales tactic to sell you a lock or even a safe and/or some targets or hunting accessories depending on the gun.
:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

puma guy
Posts in topic: 2

Post by puma guy »

I have purchased several firearms from Academy, most recently about a year ago. I didn't get asked any questions other than my phone number.
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

rmoraes

Post by rmoraes »

B"H
I got 6 guns from Academy in the last several years here in Houston and Sugarland, nobody never asked me anything and always been a breeze.
:cheers2:
Rick KG5VKX
NRA Life Member - NRA Pistol Instructor
Glock and Sig Sauer Armorer

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

LDB415 wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:41 pm
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:01 pm “What will you be using this firearm for?”
Pleasure, not business.
"Except...wait. Hold on a minute. Are you saying that you have a marker for me from the High Table?"

(Silly John Wick joke, but I couldn't resist...)
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Crossfire

Post by Crossfire »

The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:51 pm
C-dub wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:26 pm I’ve heard too many stupid answers or comments from sales people at Academy to want to go through the hassle of purchasing any firearms from them.

They can ask anything they want. Lying to them about those two additional questions that are not required would not result in anything bad. Telling them what they want to hear is not against the law and is easier than telling them it is none of their business.
You can lie if you want to, but I prefer to let the person know that I’ll not submit to his grilling.
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:01 pm “Do you have a way to securely store this firearm in your home”?
Nunya. Can I have your badge number please?
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:01 pm “What will you be using this firearm for?”
Any and all lawful purposes. Can I have your badge number please?

Also, "Not today, Fedboi" works just as well for either question.
You must be feeling better. You're getting all feisty!
Texas LTC Instructor, FFL, IdentoGO Fingerprinting Partner
http://www.Crossfire-Training.com

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

Crossfire wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:36 pm
The Annoyed Man wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:51 pm
C-dub wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:26 pm I’ve heard too many stupid answers or comments from sales people at Academy to want to go through the hassle of purchasing any firearms from them.

They can ask anything they want. Lying to them about those two additional questions that are not required would not result in anything bad. Telling them what they want to hear is not against the law and is easier than telling them it is none of their business.
You can lie if you want to, but I prefer to let the person know that I’ll not submit to his grilling.
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:01 pm “Do you have a way to securely store this firearm in your home”?
Nunya. Can I have your badge number please?
Any and all lawful purposes. Can I have your badge number please?

Also, "Not today, Fedboi" works just as well for either question.
You must be feeling better. You're getting all feisty!
Nah…just cranky in my infirmity. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, yes I’ve been getting better.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

puma guy

Post by puma guy »

Crossfire wrote: ↑You must be feeling better. You're getting all feisty!
The Annoyed Man wrote:
Nah…just cranky in my infirmity. :mrgreen:

Seriously though, yes I’ve been getting better.

Chris, I didn't know you were having any issues. You have my prayers
KAHR PM40/Hoffner IWB and S&W Mod 60/ Galco IWB
NRA Endowment Member, TSRA Life Member,100 Club Life Member,TFC Member
My Faith, My Gun and My Constitution: I cling to all three!

NotRPB

Post by NotRPB »

powerboatr wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:47 pm
RoyGBiv wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:44 am
Tex1961 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:42 pm I had a doctors office once try to ask me questions about firearms in my home. I told them it’s none of their business. I almost got up and walked out.
During my annual a few years ago my Dr said

"I'm supposed to ask you if you have any guns in your house, but, since this is Texas I just assume everyone does."

I replied.... "If I didn't, could you write me a prescription for one? And, would my insurance cover it?"

He thought that was hilarious.
oh that is good
my VA doc asks each 6 months when i see her, maybe this time i will ask for a prescription as well, i usually just give her the stare and move on to next question VA likes to ask....do you feel safe at home :biggrinjester:
That's a standard question on medicare annual wellness visit. I just say "Yes" without explaining i have a Ninja in the closet 4 attack dogs, and an alligator moat... oh. were you asking about my cane and if i have fall risk hazards? Question is too open-ended, but yes i feel extremely safe. As Charles once said "If you want to FEEL safe, carry a lucky rabbits foot...If you want to BE safe, carry a .45"

I figure Academy asks so they can sell gun safes and locks to new-gun-owner Liberals...

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by powerboatr »

NotRPB wrote: Mon Mar 27, 2023 4:00 pm
powerboatr wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:47 pm
RoyGBiv wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:44 am
Tex1961 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:42 pm I had a doctors office once try to ask me questions about firearms in my home. I told them it’s none of their business. I almost got up and walked out.

"I'm supposed to ask you if you have any guns in your house, but, since this is Texas I just assume everyone does."

I replied.... "If I didn't, could you write me a prescription for one? And, would my insurance cover it?"

oh that is good
my VA doc asks each 6 months when i see her, maybe this time i will ask for a prescription as well, i usually just give her the stare and move on to next question VA likes to ask....do you feel safe at home :biggrinjester:
That's a standard question on medicare annual wellness visit. I just say "Yes" without explaining i have a Ninja in the closet 4 attack dogs, and an alligator moat... oh. were you asking about my cane and if i have fall risk hazards? Question is too open-ended, but yes i feel extremely safe. As Charles once said "If you want to FEEL safe, carry a lucky rabbits foot...If you want to BE safe, carry a .45"

I figure Academy asks so they can sell gun safes and locks to new-gun-owner Liberals...
tractor supply has better sales on safes :biggrinjester:
i have a cane, i will make sure she notices it next week,. :biggrinjester:
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

ELB

Post by ELB »

RoyGBiv wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:44 am ….

I knew a guy for years ago who had a prescription from the doctor that as I recall went “9 mm, apply to chest and head PRN, unlimited refills.”
USAF 1982-2005

Caliber

Post by Caliber »

carlson1 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:32 pm I see this is no different than when the police stop you and play 100 questions. I believe I need to answer only what is necessary for that stop.
BTW, you don't have to answer ANY questions at a police stop. You can remain totally silent if you wish. You only have to present your DL and proof of insurance (in Texas)...and your LTC if you're carrying.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”