Academy asking unnecessary questions

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Soccerdad1995
Posts in topic: 1

Academy asking unnecessary questions

Post by Soccerdad1995 »

I was killing some time yesterday in the gun section of a local Academy and overheard the manager talking to a guy who was buying a gun. In addition to reviewing the paperwork he verbally asked the guy two questions:

“Do you have a way to securely store this firearm in your home”?

“What will you be using this firearm for?”

The second question in particular was, let’s just say, interesting.

Is this normal practice at Academy? Or was this just an overly curious employee?

C-dub

Re: Academy asking unnecessary questions

Post by C-dub »

I’ve heard too many stupid answers or comments from sales people at Academy to want to go through the hassle of purchasing any firearms from them.

They can ask anything they want. Lying to them about those two additional questions that are not required would not result in anything bad. Telling them what they want to hear is not against the law and is easier than telling them it is none of their business.
I am not and have never been a LEO. My avatar is in honor of my friend, Dallas Police Sargent Michael Smith, who was murdered along with four other officers in Dallas on 7.7.2016.
NRA Patriot-Endowment Lifetime Member---------------------------------------------Si vis pacem, para bellum.................................................Patriot Guard Rider

carlson1
Posts in topic: 2

Post by carlson1 »

How about, “ that is very kind of you to ask, but I don’t answer personal questions.”

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by powerboatr »

last time i purchased one from academy . the guy only asked to see my chl and then thanked me for having one . then in about 2 minutes he was walking me to the check out register , i paid and left the store.

i would refrain from answering any questions not required by the form i just filled out.

i use a local mom and pop shop now and they only ask....what can i order next for you "rlol"
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Might have just been a sales tactic to sell you a lock or even a safe and/or some targets or hunting accessories depending on the gun.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Wow, that's pretty shocking. This was the manager, not just some employee working behind the counter. I hope this was just some kind of one-off incident, and not a new standard practice there. If it is, I'm done with Academy, and will do everything I can to make this go viral.
-Ruark

philip964

Post by philip964 »

I’m not a risk analysist, but could be from a printed sheet that is checked and filed away, in case a child gets the gun and shoots himself or someone or the buyer shoots up a school or kills themself.

Certainly wouldn’t hurt in court, if that happens.

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I see this is no different than when the police stop you and play 100 questions. I believe I need to answer only what is necessary for that stop.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

I had a doctors office once try to ask me questions about firearms in my home. I told them it’s none of their business. I almost got up and walked out.

LabRat

Post by LabRat »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:01 pm I was killing some time yesterday in the gun section of a local Academy and overheard the manager talking to a guy who was buying a gun. In addition to reviewing the paperwork he verbally asked the guy two questions:

Is this normal practice at Academy? Or was this just an overly curious employee?
I purchased a firearm at Academy in Lewisville a while back. No odd questions like that for me. Just picked my firearm, LTC and TXDL, Form 4473.....took a few minutes for the manager to get back to the gun counter, but then I was on my way. Didn't take too long at all.
As others have stated, I would just keep to providing the required information and skip the weird queries beyond that. There seems to be some variations at Academy's around the state, so it doesn't seem to be a concerted effort on Academy's part to shore up their customer information info when they sell a gun. More likely a nosy employee.

LabRat
This is not legal advice.
People should be able to perform many functions; for others and for themselves. Specialization is for insects. — Robert Heinlein (Severe paraphrase)

RoyGBiv

Post by RoyGBiv »

Tex1961 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:42 pm I had a doctors office once try to ask me questions about firearms in my home. I told them it’s none of their business. I almost got up and walked out.
During my annual a few years ago my Dr said

"I'm supposed to ask you if you have any guns in your house, but, since this is Texas I just assume everyone does."

I replied.... "If I didn't, could you write me a prescription for one? And, would my insurance cover it?"

He thought that was hilarious.
I am not a lawyer. This is NOT legal advice.!
Nothing tempers idealism quite like the cold bath of reality.... SQLGeek

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:01 pm I was killing some time yesterday in the gun section of a local Academy and overheard the manager talking to a guy who was buying a gun. In addition to reviewing the paperwork he verbally asked the guy two questions:

Answer non 4473 questions with questions…
“Do you own any firearms? What kinds? Do you have them secured in a gun safe? Does your home have an alarm system? What’s your address?”

Or if you don’t want to be a smarty pants like me…
“Yes”
“All legal purposes”

If he has additional questions revert to answering questions with questions.

powerboatr
Posts in topic: 3

Post by powerboatr »

RoyGBiv wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 2:44 am
Tex1961 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 11:42 pm I had a doctors office once try to ask me questions about firearms in my home. I told them it’s none of their business. I almost got up and walked out.
During my annual a few years ago my Dr said

"I'm supposed to ask you if you have any guns in your house, but, since this is Texas I just assume everyone does."

I replied.... "If I didn't, could you write me a prescription for one? And, would my insurance cover it?"

He thought that was hilarious.
oh that is good
my VA doc asks each 6 months when i see her, maybe this time i will ask for a prescription as well, i usually just give her the stare and move on to next question VA likes to ask....do you feel safe at home :biggrinjester:
Proud to have served for over 22 Years in the U.S. Navy Certificated FAA A&P technician since 1996

The Annoyed Man

Post by The Annoyed Man »

C-dub wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:26 pm I’ve heard too many stupid answers or comments from sales people at Academy to want to go through the hassle of purchasing any firearms from them.

They can ask anything they want. Lying to them about those two additional questions that are not required would not result in anything bad. Telling them what they want to hear is not against the law and is easier than telling them it is none of their business.
You can lie if you want to, but I prefer to let the person know that I’ll not submit to his grilling.
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:01 pm “Do you have a way to securely store this firearm in your home”?
Nunya. Can I have your badge number please?
Soccerdad1995 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:01 pm “What will you be using this firearm for?”
Any and all lawful purposes. Can I have your badge number please?

Also, "Not today, Fedboi" works just as well for either question.
“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

― G. Michael Hopf, "Those Who Remain"

#TINVOWOOT

LDB415

Post by LDB415 »

Soccerdad1995 wrote: Sat Mar 25, 2023 2:01 pm “Do you have a way to securely store this firearm in your home”?

Everything in my home is secure.

Pleasure, not business.
It's fine if you disagree. I can't force you to be correct.
NRA Life Member, TSRA Life Member, GSSF Member
A pistol without a round chambered is an expensive paper weight.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”