Remington finishes and ammo quality is terrible

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Odinvalknir
Posts in topic: 3

Remington finishes and ammo quality is terrible

Post by Odinvalknir »

I know this isn't necessarily a new concern. But man I really didn't know how bad it was.

I've known for some time they have issues with the oxide finishes on 870s and other firearms. But didn't know their ammo was also suspect.

I bought a few hundred rounds of multiple calibers, mostly 9mm and .223 both Federal brand.

And I bought 5 boxes of Remington HTP .357 20rd boxes at $1.50 per round. I just happened to decide to load up a couple speed loaders for my model 19, and noticed one of the bullets was CROOKED, the exposed lead tip was like 45° angle. They're semi jacketed hollow point, so the top half of the bullet is lead and has a copper jacket on the lower half.

So I decided I should check the other boxes. Found a 2nd bullet with a crooked projectile, and began looking at the casings.

I found FIFTEEN rounds with large amounts of corrosion and RUST on the nickel plating. Which I was under the impression nickel plating was meant to stop corrosion.

This has really put me off of Remington, much like most other American companies their quality has become non existent. I sent an email to their customer service, and a tweet since they seems to get through quicker than emails sometimes. I'm waiting on to see if they'll try to correct the issue, or if they just won't care.

Guess I'll see how long before my 870 express starts to rust.

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Re: Remington finishes and ammo quality is terrible

Post by Odinvalknir »

surprise_i'm_armed
Posts in topic: 1
Location: Shady Shores, Denton County. On the shores of Lake Lewisville. John Wayne filmed here.

Post by surprise_i'm_armed »

Like software, that's not a bug, it's a feature.

It's so you can shoot around corners. :-)

SIA
N. Texas LTC's hold 3 breakfasts each month. All are 800 AM. OC is fine.
2nd Saturdays: Rudy's BBQ, N. Dallas Pkwy, N.bound, N. of Main St., Frisco.
3rd Saturdays: Golden Corral, 465 E. I-20, Collins St exit, Arlington.
4th Saturdays: Sunny St. Cafe, off I-20, Exit 415, Mikus Rd, Willow Park.

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

I thought that was the brand-new, cutting-edge, super-high-tech, specially-aerodynamic "muffin icing" bullet treatment.
:shock:
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Ruark

Post by Ruark »

Wow, that really stands out. I wonder if they're contracting out some of their manufacturing.
-Ruark

mayor

Post by mayor »

It's designed to blow both lungs clean out of a body with one projectile.

Topic author
Odinvalknir

Post by Odinvalknir »

Ruark wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:57 pm Wow, that really stands out. I wonder if they're contracting out some of their manufacturing.
If they are. They should fire them. The rust is bad enough, means whatever process they're using or whatever chemicals they're using to nickel plate the bullets are crap. Nickel plate is specifically supposed to STOP rust corrosion.

And the projectile issue, I guess I could chalk that up to automated bullet setting. Just having the bullet come out of the hopper at a weird angle or something. But it should have been caught by QC and discarded, Not once but twice and only four or five boxes.

03Lightningrocks

Post by 03Lightningrocks »

Odinvalknir wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 10:02 am
Ruark wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 6:57 pm Wow, that really stands out. I wonder if they're contracting out some of their manufacturing.
If they are. They should fire them. The rust is bad enough, means whatever process they're using or whatever chemicals they're using to nickel plate the bullets are crap. Nickel plate is specifically supposed to STOP rust corrosion.

And the projectile issue, I guess I could chalk that up to automated bullet setting. Just having the bullet come out of the hopper at a weird angle or something. But it should have been caught by QC and discarded, Not once but twice and only four or five boxes.
Very likely the same Lot of bullets. My bet is that there may be hundreds if not more boxes from the same faulty lot of boxes.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”