Renewal qual

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
thetexan
Posts in topic: 2

Renewal qual

Post by thetexan »

Do I have to re qualify for my instructor renewal with just a semi auto or do I also have to use a revolver?

Tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

AF-Odin
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Renewal qual

Post by AF-Odin »

Been doing it with both on every requal since 2013.
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

howdy

Post by howdy »

Both
Texas LTC Instructor
NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Life Patron Member TSRA Member
USMC 1972-1979

Paladin

Post by Paladin »

After you're done shooting both remember that you just shot twice the ammunition most law enforcement officers shot in a year. ;-)
JOIN NRA TODAY!, NRA Benefactor Life, TSRA Defender Life, Gun Owners of America Life, SAF, FPC, VCDL Member
LTC/SSC Instructor, NRA Certified Instructor, CRSO
The last hope of human liberty in this world rests on us. -Thomas Jefferson

Rafe

Post by Rafe »

Paladin wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:50 pm After you're done shooting both remember that you just shot twice the ammunition most law enforcement officers shot in a year. ;-)
But remember, only the police and military are qualified to have a firearm. :rules:

(That's why, back when I shot IDPA and USPSA and regularly took training classes, I so very much respected the LEOs who took it upon themselves to beef-up their skills and maintain them.)
“Be ready; now is the beginning of happenings.”
― Robert E. Howard, Swords of Shahrazar

Topic author
thetexan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thetexan »

The reason I ask is that an instructor who will do my renewal says that since and because of Covid you only have to shoot the semi and no longer required to shoot revolver.

Is that true?

Tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

Mike S

Post by Mike S »

thetexan wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:14 pm The reason I ask is that an instructor who will do my renewal says that since and because of Covid you only have to shoot the semi and no longer required to shoot revolver.

Is that true?

Tex
Absolutely false. Instructors still required to qualify with a 90% score (225 points out of 250 possible points) with BOTH semi-auto and revolver. Here's the Admin Code from the DPS' website:

https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/r ... ch=6&rl=35

Additionally, Instructors are required to use a minimum caliber of.32 cal. Our students may use any caliber .22 or above, but Instructors still have a .32 or above requirement:
https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/r ... ch=6&rl=33

If the guy you're going to have do your requal remains stuck on stupid, I'd sincerely recommend you have another instructor do it.

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Mike S wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:50 am
thetexan wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:14 pm The reason I ask is that an instructor who will do my renewal says that since and because of Covid you only have to shoot the semi and no longer required to shoot revolver.

Is that true?

Tex
Absolutely false. Instructors still required to qualify with a 90% score (225 points out of 250 possible points) with BOTH semi-auto and revolver. Here's the Admin Code from the DPS' website:

https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/r ... ch=6&rl=35

Additionally, Instructors are required to use a minimum caliber of.32 cal. Our students may use any caliber .22 or above, but Instructors still have a .32 or above requirement:
https://texreg.sos.state.tx.us/public/r ... ch=6&rl=33

If the guy you're going to have do your requal remains stuck on stupid, I'd sincerely recommend you have another instructor do it.
:iagree:

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”