CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
rcg917
Posts in topic: 1

Texas State Fair Carry Rules

Post by rcg917 »

Just saw this about the Texas State Fair in case anyone was wondering-

Weapons: Only those with a handgun license to carry are allowed a firearm inside the fair.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/here- ... 1d66&ei=12

AF-Odin

Re: Texas State Fair Carry Rules

Post by AF-Odin »

Have not been since the September before the Covid lockdown. Want to go back this year if it will ever cool off a little. Have carried at the State Fair numerous times with no issue. Did not look at the link, but anyone know when the State Fair will have their Military Appreciation Day?
AF-Odin
Texas LTC, SSC & FRC Instructor
NRA Pistol, Home Firearms Safety, Personal Protection in the Home Instructor & RSO
NRA & TSRA Life Member

Tex1961

Post by Tex1961 »

Just another reason to get your LTC whether or not you agree or like it. For now them’s the rules we have to play by.

Grayling813

Post by Grayling813 »

You always know it's close to time for the fair when this question gets asked.... :mrgreen:

CAN I BRING ANY WEAPONS INTO THE FAIR?
https://bigtex.com/about-us/faq/
Please help us keep the Fair safe and fun for all! We reserve the right to search all fairgoers and their bags upon entry into the fairgrounds. No weapons of any kind are permitted on the fairgrounds. This includes guns, knives, clubs, tasers, etc. Also, all sharp metal objects, such as pocketknives, scissors, and other sharp implements, are strictly prohibited. Please leave these items at home or in your vehicle. If you usually carry a pocketknife and forget it’s in your pocket when you reach the security checkpoint, you will be asked to return it to your vehicle to secure your knife or be given the option to dispose of it prior to entering the park. If you question whether something is safe to bring in, it probably isn’t – and should be left at home or inside your vehicle.
However.....
License to Carry a Handgun

The State Fair of Texas is—and always has been—a private entity. The Fair leases the Fair Park property from the City of Dallas but is not part of the City or controlled by a government body.

The State Fair of Texas has long been, and continues to be, a strong supporter of the rights of responsible gun owning Texans. For that reason, the Fair has long allowed Fair attendees with valid handgun licenses to carry their handguns in a concealed manner while attending the Fair (except for locations prohibited by law). The State Fair will not allow unlicensed gun owners to enter the fairgrounds with a firearm.

A person holding a valid Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC), or a valid handgun license from a reciprocating state, is permitted to enter the Fair with his or her concealed handgun, provided that he or she thereafter fully complies with all applicable laws. LTC holders are responsible for knowing and complying with all applicable Texas laws. For example, under Texas Penal Code Chapter 46 an LTC holder is prohibited from carrying a handgun (1) on any other premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place (this may include Cotton Bowl Stadium, as well as the State Fair’s livestock facilities where interscholastic events are presented), (2) on the premises of a business that derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, or (3) while intoxicated.

The State Fair of Texas prohibits Fair attendees (including LTC holders) from openly carrying handguns while at the Fair. If an individual attempts to enter the Fair with an openly carried handgun, the guest will be asked to conceal the handgun (if the guest has a valid LTC), otherwise the guest will be asked to secure the handgun in his or her vehicle or at some offsite location.

Papa_Tiger

Post by Papa_Tiger »

The State Fair of Texas is—and always has been—a private entity. The Fair leases the Fair Park property from the City of Dallas but is not part of the City or controlled by a government body.

The State Fair of Texas has long been, and continues to be, a strong supporter of the rights of responsible gun owning Texans. For that reason, the Fair has long allowed Fair attendees with valid handgun licenses to carry their handguns in a concealed manner while attending the Fair (except for locations prohibited by law). The State Fair will not allow unlicensed gun owners to enter the fairgrounds with a firearm.

A person holding a valid Texas License to Carry a Handgun (LTC), or a valid handgun license from a reciprocating state, is permitted to enter the Fair with his or her concealed handgun, provided that he or she thereafter fully complies with all applicable laws. LTC holders are responsible for knowing and complying with all applicable Texas laws. For example, under Texas Penal Code Chapter 46 an LTC holder is prohibited from carrying a handgun (1) on any other premises where a high school, collegiate, or professional sporting event or interscholastic event is taking place (this may include Cotton Bowl Stadium, as well as the State Fair’s livestock facilities where interscholastic events are presented), (2) on the premises of a business that derives 51 percent or more of its income from the sale or service of alcoholic beverages for on-premises consumption, or (3) while intoxicated.
They obviously didn't read the text of HB1760 which goes into effect tomorrow...

oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oohrah »

also out of date with respect to campus carry, collegiate sporting events are no longer restricted by statute, they must post 30.06.
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

oohrah
Posts in topic: 2

Post by oohrah »

so, no pocket knives. but if you are LTC concealed carrying, don't you bypass the metal detector and therefore should be able to (conceal) carry your pocket knife?
USMC, Retired
Treating one variety of person as better or worse than others by accident of birth is morally indefensible.

carlson1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by carlson1 »

oohrah wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 4:07 pm so, no pocket knives. but if you are LTC concealed carrying, don't you bypass the metal detector and therefore should be able to (conceal) carry your pocket knife?
Nothing makes sense any more. They took my wife’s pepper spray from her when she came to see me in the ER.

Every year at the fair I carry along with at least one re-load, knife (Buck 110 auto), and pepper spray. You pass the medal detector to go to the Officer on duty. I also buy that officer’s meal for the day.

I am in the middle of taking ketamine infusion treatments for the next 8 weeks. I will say it is not fun and it cause me to hallucinate I have had my wife take all guns out reach for now including knives. I will say yesterday and today was my first 30.05 signs I have seen. In that place it should be every sign known to man if that drug affects others like me.

Jose_in_Dallas

Post by Jose_in_Dallas »

carlson1 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:19 pmNothing makes sense any more. They took my wife’s pepper spray from her when she came to see me in the ER.

Every year at the fair I carry along with at least one re-load, knife (Buck 110 auto), and pepper spray. You pass the medal detector to go to the Officer on duty. I also buy that officer’s meal for the day.

I am in the middle of taking ketamine infusion treatments for the next 8 weeks. I will say it is not fun and it cause me to hallucinate I have had my wife take all guns out reach for now including knives. I will say yesterday and today was my first 30.05 signs I have seen. In that place it should be every sign known to man if that drug affects others like me.
Pretty much the same although I'm adding OC to my carry now (Palm OC). I take DART to the fair to avoid parking hassles and it's amazing some of the crazy people you can see taking public transit.

Praying for you Carlson and a quick recovery. Still need to hit up the range someime :clapping: :thumbs2:

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

Jose_in_Dallas wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:51 am
carlson1 wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 8:19 pmNothing makes sense any more. They took my wife’s pepper spray from her when she came to see me in the ER.

Pretty much the same although I'm adding OC to my carry now (Palm OC). I take DART to the fair to avoid parking hassles and it's amazing some of the crazy people you can see taking public transit.

Praying for you Carlson and a quick recovery. Still need to hit up the range someime :clapping: :thumbs2:
In about 8 weeks remind me because I want to do that. This ketamine is definitely a mind altering drug.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Papa_Tiger wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:58 pm

They obviously didn't read the text of HB1760 which goes into effect tomorrow...
Still applies. 46.03 (8) was not modified.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Keith B wrote: Fri Sep 01, 2023 9:28 pm
Papa_Tiger wrote: Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:58 pm

Still applies. 46.03 (8) was not modified.
However 46.03 a (1) provides an exception for colleges and collegiate events.

(a) A person commits an offense if the person intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly possesses or goes with a firearm, location-restricted knife, club, or prohibited weapon listed in Section 46.05(a):
(1) on the physical premises of a school or educational institution, any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by a school or educational institution is being conducted, or a passenger transportation vehicle of a school or educational institution, whether the school or educational institution is public or private, unless:
(A) pursuant to written regulations or written authorization of the institution; or
(B) the person possesses or goes with a concealed handgun that the person is licensed to carry under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code, and no other weapon to which this section applies, on the premises of an institution of higher education or private or independent institution of higher education, on any grounds or building on which an activity sponsored by the institution is being conducted, or in a passenger transportation vehicle of the institution;
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

carlson1

Post by carlson1 »

I would like to hear from a LTC holder that has gone this year to the fair. How is the new metal detectors effect my path to DPD?

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”