Strange story from vendor at gun show

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Topic author
Greybeard
Posts in topic: 3

Strange story from vendor at gun show

Post by Greybeard »

Older guy (about 60) sitting at table next to me at Market Hall Sunday told me about this and it's almost too strange not to share.

He said at a party where everyone was drinking except him (CHLer). At end of night, the host asked him if he would mind following a 45-year-old female home to be sure she got inside house OK as her known-to-be-violent ex-BF had been stalking her pretty heavily lately.

Upon arrival, he parked his truck on the street in front of her house. She then wanted to "show him the neighborhood" and they walked about a block down the street to where it dead ended near a lake. At which time she saw headlights turning into her place and said "Oh expletive. It's him!". He had her promptly call 911. He had .380 in front pocket and had taken .40 Sig out of console and slipped in back pocket (butt exposed in the darkness).

Ex-BF proceeded to bang on front door of her house and subsequently went around back and broke in (screwdriver at latch) at sliding glass door. He subsequently exited front door a few seconds later. All this time the woman had 911 on the phone describing what she could see from the end of the street. Ex-BF then got in his truck and drove down street, lighting them up with headlights. CHLer instructed lady to have dispatcher "Get the police here now!".

6'4" beefcake ex-BF exited truck, glassey eyed and beligerant. CHLer said he was screaming commands such as "Stay away from us!", "We don't want any trouble", knowing it was all being recorded while he stood right next to lady on cell phone. And hoping he did not have "rodeo" or worse with the guy over a woman he barely knew!

He said first cop arrived in the nick of time. Ex-BF kept interupting cop as cop attempted to let semi-intoxicated woman explain circumstances. Without asking for his id, cop just asked the ex-BF his name. At which point he called it in on collar radio. Backup officer arrived shortly thereafter and the ex-BF indeed had outstanding warrants and got to suddenly eat some asphalt and take the ride to grey bar hotel.

Cop checked CHLer's ids, had no problem with him carrying two guns. But, cop pointed to Sig in back pocket and said "You probably need to do a better job of concealing that thing." :smile:

CHLer said he subsequently found a saw in the lady's shed and cut a board to wedge in and temporarily secure the lady's sliding glass door.

But ... the real "ending" to this "good samaritian" story: About a week or so later, the host of party told CHLer that the lady had bailed the "stalker" out of jail! :roll:
CHL Instructor since 1995
http://www.dentoncountysports.com "A Private Palace for Pistol Proficiency"

stevie_d_64
Posts in topic: 1

Post by stevie_d_64 »

Watched him (BF) B & E into her house before he came down the street to confront GF and the CHL'er???

That was a situation that could have gone bad to worse real quick...

Good move to keep the 911 operator on the line while they were barking commands to stay away, etc etc...

Good thing to keep in mind, just in case...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Topic author
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

He said they just maintained position at end of street, with her describing to dispatcher what she could see from the distance. CHLer did not say so, but I suspect the dispatcher had requested the lady provide "stalker's" name and the cops may have known some history on the guy just before arrival ...

nitrogen

Post by nitrogen »

Read a great story on THR a year or so ago; I wish I could find it.

As to validity of the story, I am not sure, but either way it makes you think.

Readers Digest Version:

Girl has problems with ex boyfriend. Good Guy decides to hang out with her for a few days in case he shows up for violence.
Well, he shows up. Breaks through the window with a weapon. Shots fired. Good guy shoots back, and ends up killing the violent ex.

Turns out the girl was pregnant with the ex's child.

She then gets it in her head to sue our hero due to the loss of income the violent ex could have provided.

I can't remember exactly how it ended, but just from what I recall, that's enough; having to defend yourself against a suit like that scares the heck out of me.
.השואה... לעולם לא עוד
Holocaust... Never Again.
Some people create their own storms and get upset when it rains.
--anonymous

Xander

Post by Xander »

nitrogen wrote:Read a great story on THR a year or so ago; I wish I could find it.

As to validity of the story, I am not sure, but either way it makes you think.

Readers Digest Version:

Girl has problems with ex boyfriend. Good Guy decides to hang out with her for a few days in case he shows up for violence.
Well, he shows up. Breaks through the window with a weapon. Shots fired. Good guy shoots back, and ends up killing the violent ex.

Turns out the girl was pregnant with the ex's child.

She then gets it in her head to sue our hero due to the loss of income the violent ex could have provided.

I can't remember exactly how it ended, but just from what I recall, that's enough; having to defend yourself against a suit like that scares the heck out of me.
I believe it, and I feel the same way. An article I've linked to before: http://www.stoppingpower.net/commentary ... ention.asp

Topic author
Greybeard

Post by Greybeard »

Yep Xander, "THE DANGERS OF INTERVENTION" is a good read. Thanks for looking it up.

Wildscar

Post by Wildscar »

Thats a good article and a story that you two share. I think Im going to have to share that with more people.
Wildscar
"Far Better it is to dare mighty things than to take rank with those poor, timid spirits who know neither victory nor defeat." Theodore Roosevelt 1899
Beretta 92FS
Holster Review Resource
Project One Million:Texas - Click here and Join NRA Today!

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Domestic violence issues are a real nightmare to deal with.

When I was a LEO many years ago, the law did not allow us to arrest unless we saw it happen. The spouse had to want us to arrest them and press charges. Now, just evidence or suspicion of assault will allow it.

We went on one call and the lady stated she wanted the man arrested for hitting her. They were both a bit inebriated and yelling. The husband hauls off and slaps the wife. The other officer started to handcuff the husband, and the lady starts yelling 'Leave him alone you pigs!!' I said "You want him to hit you again? We are arresting him for assault." She then starts hitting me, so I drag her arm around and cuff her for assaulting an officer. We read 'em their rights and put them in the car. The whole way to the station, they are apologizing to each other, telling each other 'I love you' and nearly making out in the back of the car. :lol:

Needless to say, they both spent the night separated in different cells at the county jail! :razz:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

TXGLOCK23

Post by TXGLOCK23 »

Those stories are lessons to be learned. I knew of a neighbor who had a restraining order agans her b/f and let him stay at her house for several nights during that time. I can't figure that sort of thing out. :shock:

rspeir
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rspeir »

I may get jumped on for saying this, but it has been my observation that some women take more time picking the shade of their lipstick than the quality of males (notice I did not say men) they form relationships with. Men make poor choices too but I think that the consequences for women are often higher. Two recent examples are Paul Devoe and Kevin Wayne Anders. Devoe was the vile human being that went on the shooting spree. Some of the people he murdered was an ex-girlfriend, her daughter, the daughter's friend and the woman's boyfriend. I don't see any way any sane person couldn't pick up on this guy's problems. By bringing Devoe into her life, not only did she die but also her daughter and the others. Anders is the guy Navaro Mills police think sexually assaulted a 6 year old girl and hanged her in her garage. Surprise, he's the mother's live in boyfriend. There hasn't been anymore information beyond him being her boyfriend but I have no doubt all the signs were there. These two males, if they are guilty, should die for their crimes. My question is, what responsibility do the women bear for bringing these creeps into their lives? I've been jumped on by some for even mentioning that the women bear some of the responsibility. It's one thing to be a random victim of crime, it's another to surround oneself with evil and be surprised when something happens.

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

Well, someone else is going to have to do the jumping, because I agree with you. Some women are attracted to the "bad boys" and some suffer from some psychological or spiritual problem that makes them unable to get into or stay in healthy relationships, or get out of relationships that turn bad.

The reasons for all that have been discussed ad infinitum.

- Jim

CompVest

Post by CompVest »

The last two posts seem a tad bit off topic and do not have anything to do with a CHL.

rspeir
Posts in topic: 2

Post by rspeir »

CompVest wrote:The last two posts seem a tad bit off topic and do not have anything to do with a CHL.
Just commenting on the original post. The CHL holder was involved in a domestic issue where he might have had to take a life partly due to someone else's poor choice in boyfriends. I guess it could also be argued that the CHL holder should keep a better class of friends.

ELB

Post by ELB »

Given that the topic of the post is "the dangers and frustrations of interventions,"pretty much all posts seem dead-on. Defense of self and others, and judgement in the exercise thereof, is at the heart of the CHL business.

elb

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”