Posts in topic: 1

THANKS!!!

Post by GSchretter »

Thanks for the post.
Going Monday !!!

Dragonfighter
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Dragonfighter »

frankie_the_yankee wrote: OK. Acvtually the law was changed in 2005 so as to ban any "government entity" from restricting concealed carry on any property it "owns or leases" except for specific places listed in the statute.
Yeah, the law was changed but I swear the coincidental city memo cited an AG opinion (or statement maybe) a quick perusal of the OAG site turned up nothing though.

Your option to honor a 30.06 sign by a private entity leasing from government ones falls under the "pick your fights" category. I rarely find it to be an issue, there is only one place I go from time to time that even posts and I have never had a problem there and I do not try to skirt the rules at gun shows.

IMHO though, if the weapon is properly concealed, it won't become an issue unless you shoot somebody and then, I'll take whatever come uppins I have if I'm alive.

I'll try to run down that memo and see if memory serves or if I'm suffering from cerebral flatulence. Great thread and great site!

Thanks
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

ScubaSigGuy

Post by ScubaSigGuy »

I went to the fair this morning and it was a positive experience. Showed my CHL and she continued to wand me anyway and motioned me through. No issues.
S.S.G.

"A champion doesn’t become a champion in the ring. He is merely recognized in the ring.The ‘becoming’ happens during his daily routine." Joe Louis

NRA MEMBER

aerod1
Posts in topic: 3

Post by aerod1 »

I went to the Fair yesterday (Texas / OU day) with my wife, daughter, son-in-law and Grandchildren. I took my weapon (S&W Airweight model 638) in an IWB holster and there were NO problems. I showed my CHL and TDL and the gaurd ask if my "piece" was in my pocket. I said no and pointed to my IWB at 3 o'clock and he said "OK , go ahead". It appeared they don't want them in your pocket, just in case you get on a ride where the firearm could have a tendency to fall out. That to me though, is a "no brainer". I did see some middle aged men, who did not apear to be gay :lol: , wearing fanny packs. It was painless!! :grin:

Jim
NRA Life Member
TSRA Life Member
Texas CHL, C&R 03 FFL
US Navy veteran, USS Midway (V-1 division)

age_ranger

Post by age_ranger »

I was there with the family as well, yesterday with all the OU/Texas fans. The DPD presence was spectacular and I did see members of the Gang Unit out there as well. There was a pretty good show of force there and I actually felt very safe. Even walking at night down MLK to get vack to teh car was relatively stress free. Congrats to teh DPD for a job well done.

Upon entering, I was wanded and of course, when it hit the pistol, it went wild. I handed the person my CHL and was asked for a drivers license as well. A quick scan of my info and I was permitted to enter unsearched. OC, knife and pistol secure............My 6 yr old daughter did get her purse searched thoroughly, though!!!!! :lol:
http://www.berettaforum.net" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Just remember: Your very best thinking got you where you are now!!!

sf1058

Post by sf1058 »

My Fair experience: I got there about 7:00 this evening and had my CHL in hand ready to ID myself. I walked right up to the main gate with not one member of security wanding me or validating my creds at the security checkpoint. I appreciate not being hassled, but security obviously needs to be a little more proactive, especially with the amount of gangbangers and wannabe's that I observed this evening.

Kudos to the DPD for their Gang Unit's stong show of force this evening.

DFC

Post by DFC »

Went yesterday am. Walked up to the gate pulling my 2yr old in a wagon and was not asked anything nor wanded. The security guard waved me right on through after looking in my cooler. I saw multiple people getting through without being wanded which means all the more reason to carry.

Sarah81

Post by Sarah81 »

Kid sis and her boyfriend (both just shy of their 18th birthdays) wanted to go this year. Even with the security personnel...and with CHLers going to the fair...our parents just didn't like the idea of sending them off to the fair by themselves.

I would have gone with them this year, because they REALLY wanted to go, but my plastic isn't going to show up in time.

Not that they really want the big sister tagging along, mind you. Oh, yeah. That's lame, you know. *smirks*

Photoman
Posts in topic: 4

Post by Photoman »

aerod1 wrote: I showed my CHL and TDL and the gaurd ask if my "piece" was in my pocket. I said no and pointed to my IWB at 3 o'clock and he said "OK , go ahead". It appeared they don't want them in your pocket, just in case you get on a ride where the firearm could have a tendency to fall out. That to me though, is a "no brainer".

1. It's none of their business where I carry my gun.

2. Is it even legal for me to reveal where my concealed gun is except to a LEO?

3. Some people don't ride the rides at the State Fair so pocket carry would be just fine.

frankie_the_yankee
Banned
Posts in topic: 7

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

Photoman wrote: 2. Is it even legal for me to reveal where my concealed gun is except to a LEO?
Of course it is.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

DoubleJ

Post by DoubleJ »

long as you don't show it to them! :rolll

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

Photoman wrote:2. Is it even legal for me to reveal where my concealed gun is except to a LEO?
This is an interesting question. I believe telling someone you have a handgun is not a violation of TPC §46.035(a) - Intentional failure to conceal. However, shortly after SB60 passed in 1995, former Rep. Ron Wilson (a co-author [in name only] of the House version) was quoted as saying that verbal disclosure that you were armed would violate §46.035(a). I disagree.

Chas.

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
Photoman wrote:2. Is it even legal for me to reveal where my concealed gun is except to a LEO?
This is an interesting question. I believe telling someone you have a handgun is not a violation of TPC §46.035(a) - Intentional failure to conceal. However, shortly after SB60 passed in 1995, former Rep. Ron Wilson (a co-author [in name only] of the House version) was quoted as saying that verbal disclosure that you were armed would violate §46.035(a). I disagree.

Chas.
While I agree it should not be a violation §46.035(a), Dictionary.com has the definition of conceal as:

1. to hide; withdraw or remove from observation; cover or keep from sight: He concealed the gun under his coat.
2. to keep secret; to prevent or avoid disclosing or divulging: to conceal one's identity by using a false name.

For argument sake, under the verbiage of #2, if you disclose or divulge the location of your handgun it would no longer be concealed. It could be construed to use against you in prosecution if they wanted to be stinky.

While the initial intent was probably that you must keep it 'visually' concealed, this is another one that needs further clarification in the statute.
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

seamusTX

Post by seamusTX »

The word concealed is defined in the law:
GC §411.171. DEFINITIONS. In this subchapter:
(3) "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.
I don't believe that telling someone you are armed is a violation of the law. I certainly can't see a judge allowing such a charge to come to trial.

- Jim

Keith B

Post by Keith B »

seamusTX wrote:The word concealed is defined in the law:
GC §411.171. DEFINITIONS. In this subchapter:
(3) "Concealed handgun" means a handgun, the presence of which is not openly discernible to the ordinary observation of a reasonable person.
I don't believe that telling someone you are armed is a violation of the law. I certainly can't see a judge allowing such a charge to come to trial.

- Jim
Good post Jim. Hadn't seen that part, so.....

:iagree:
Keith
Texas LTC Instructor, Missouri CCW Instructor, NRA Certified Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun Instructor and RSO, NRA Life Member

Psalm 82:3-4

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”