Do pink fuzzy handcuffs count? :)
USAF 1983-1994
NRA LifeTime Member
TSRA Member

RogueUSMC
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Can civilians carry handcuffs?

Post by RogueUSMC »

gtolbert09 wrote:Do pink fuzzy handcuffs count? :)
A man will fight harder for his interests than for his rights.
- Napoleon Bonaparte
PFC Paul E. Ison USMC 1916-2001

thetexan
Posts in topic: 2

Post by thetexan »

treadlightly wrote:
Bodeneth wrote:If you are legally carrying, and you arent in a 30.06 and 30.07 location, who cares if people see your handgun? You are doing nothing wrong, illegal, or immoral
:iagree:

Very healthy attitude, and the reasoning that keeps me firmly in favor of open carry even if I don't actively practice the right.

Open carry is fine for those who wish to do so, and it's great for those who don't because it provides a nice comfort zone. It removes the question of printing or accidental display, neither of which is a crime under the law but may be alarming to people who don't get it.
As you say, there is no issue of printing as we have stated here numerous times before. The thing that divides OCers from CCers seems to be the desire for true stealth. Wanting to be stealthy while CCing is the only possible reason for worrying about the non-issue of printing. "what's the point of CCing if someone can tell I have a gun because it is printing under my clothing?" sort of attitude.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

striker55 wrote:I own a pair and will not carry. I bought them in case of a bad guy coming into my home and I would only use them if I felt safe. Figured if I'm waiting for the police why not subdue the bad guy?
If you "feel safe," why does anyone need to be handcuffed?

Liberty

Post by Liberty »

thetexan wrote: As you say, there is no issue of printing as we have stated here numerous times before. The thing that divides OCers from CCers seems to be the desire for true stealth. Wanting to be stealthy while CCing is the only possible reason for worrying about the non-issue of printing. "what's the point of CCing if someone can tell I have a gun because it is printing under my clothing?" sort of attitude.

tex
I think the reasoning why people choose to carry concealed is more complex that what you suggest. Stealth is one reason of many. Some of the reasons I still mostly CC are listed.

1: Tactical Stealth .. yeah it's still a legit reason for me.
2: Simpler cheaper holsters ..No retention required
3: don't care to show off my simple trustworthy but ugly gun and holster. I some times carry a beat up Ruger stainless P95 in a Don Hume JIT. Even uglier than a Glock 19.
4: Clashes with clothing.
5: Mostly though been carrying that way for 20 years and don't feel the need for change. (us old people are like this about a lot of different things)

There are some good and legitimate reasons why folks might choose to open carry. But the reasoning can be a little more complex than what was implied.
Liberty''s Blog
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." John F. Kennedy

thetexan

Post by thetexan »

Liberty wrote:
thetexan wrote: As you say, there is no issue of printing as we have stated here numerous times before. The thing that divides OCers from CCers seems to be the desire for true stealth. Wanting to be stealthy while CCing is the only possible reason for worrying about the non-issue of printing. "what's the point of CCing if someone can tell I have a gun because it is printing under my clothing?" sort of attitude.

tex
I think the reasoning why people choose to carry concealed is more complex that what you suggest. Stealth is one reason of many. Some of the reasons I still mostly CC are listed.

1: Tactical Stealth .. yeah it's still a legit reason for me.
2: Simpler cheaper holsters ..No retention required
3: don't care to show off my simple trustworthy but ugly gun and holster. I some times carry a beat up Ruger stainless P95 in a Don Hume JIT. Even uglier than a Glock 19.
4: Clashes with clothing.
5: Mostly though been carrying that way for 20 years and don't feel the need for change. (us old people are like this about a lot of different things)

There are some good and legitimate reasons why folks might choose to open carry. But the reasoning can be a little more complex than what was implied.
I was referring to the concern of printing while concealed.

tex
Texas LTC Instructor, NRA Pistol Instructor, CFI, CFII, MEI Instructor Pilot

striker55

Post by striker55 »

CleverNickname wrote:
striker55 wrote:I own a pair and will not carry. I bought them in case of a bad guy coming into my home and I would only use them if I felt safe. Figured if I'm waiting for the police why not subdue the bad guy?
If you "feel safe," why does anyone need to be handcuffed?
Because I can. :mrgreen:

CleverNickname

Post by CleverNickname »

I'm trying to point out that if you feel safe, then there's no reason to put handcuffs on the guy. Either that or you have misplaced feelings.

tomneal

Post by tomneal »

I bought a pair of handcuffs. It seemed like an inexpensive conversation starter. The whole family played with them at a couple of gatherings. (Adult beverages may have been involved.) Maybe I've watched too many police movies and just wanted to see how they worked in real life.

I also bought a '10-pack' of keys. They are scattered around.

In my defense:
I had recently read an article about 'safety' measures for folks whose families could be kidnapping targets. I can dream of having that much money.

Did you know you can buy "single use" plastic keys that can be attached to any (or all) articles of clothing? "You know", just-in-case.

Speaking of plastic. I took an evening off from watching funny-cat-videos on You Tube and instead watched a variety of folks break out of plastic zip tie handcuffs. I understand the principles but didn't want to hurt myself.

As far as carrying the handcuffs with me. NOPE! I am not a cop, don't play one on TV, and didn't dream of being one (In case I ever grow up).

Your mileage my vary
See you at the range
NRA Life, TSRA Life, USPSA Life, Mensa (not worth $50 per year so it's expired)
Tom (Retired May 2019) Neal

apostate

Post by apostate »

Bodeneth wrote:If you are legally carrying, and you arent in a 30.06 and 30.07 location, who cares if people see your handgun? You are doing nothing wrong, illegal, or immoral.
Actually, open carry was prohibited (and 30.07 signs didn't exist) when this discussion started ten years ago.

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Is it legal for Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines to carry handcuffs, or only civilians? :mrgreen:
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Ameer

Post by Ameer »

ScottDLS wrote:Is it legal for Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines to carry handcuffs, or only civilians? :mrgreen:
Article 133 if they're fuzzy.
I believe the basic political division in this country is not between liberals and conservatives but between those who believe that they should have a say in the personal lives of strangers and those who do not.

JustSomeOldGuy

Post by JustSomeOldGuy »

Ameer wrote:
ScottDLS wrote:Is it legal for Soldiers, Sailors, Airmen, and Marines to carry handcuffs, or only civilians? :mrgreen:
What does the Military Justice Code say about gambling with fuzzy dice? :headscratch
member of the church of San Gabriel de Possenti
lay brother in the order of St. John Moses Browning
USPSA limited/single stack/revolver

ScottDLS

Post by ScottDLS »

Ameer wrote:
Only for officers.
4/13/1996 Completed CHL Class, 4/16/1996 Fingerprints, Affidavits, and Application Mailed, 10/4/1996 Received CHL, renewed 1998, 2002, 2006, 2011, 2016...). "ATF... Uhhh...heh...heh....Alcohol, tobacco, and GUNS!! Cool!!!!"

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”