Can civilians carry handcuffs?

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

Venus Pax
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Venus Pax »

I just got online tonight and noticed the debate. On a personal level, I took the furry handcuff remark as a joke, but understand that others may not want to have to explain why handcuffs may need adornment.

Anygun, I appreciate your willingness to stick up for me at a perceived offense. I know you have high standards for the forum, and you have always been an excellent example.
"If a man breaks in your house, he ain't there for iced tea." Mom & Dad.

The NRA & TSRA are a bargain; they're much cheaper than the cold, dead hands experience.

Topic author
RubenZ
Posts in topic: 4

Post by RubenZ »

I don't think 10yr old girls are frequent posters of the Texas CHL forum :) Especially since they are 11 years away from even owning a handgun :)

carlson1
Posts in topic: 1

Post by carlson1 »

Take this back to topic. :coolgleamA: The Legality Of Civilians And Handcuffs.

USMC-COL

Re: Can civilians carry handcuffs?

Post by USMC-COL »

RubenZ wrote:So I got to thinking.

I don't like IWB. I like OWB carry and I always wear my shirt untucked or in winter a light jacket. BUT, what if one got a handcuff holster and placed it in front of their Gun Holster say like at the 2 o'clock position with handcuffs in it. That way if you accidentally showed any sheep would think you were just undercover because you appeared to be LEO and would be less inclined to call the COPS.
If your carry methods will easily compromise your concealment, change your carry methods. In an incident, cuffs may go to the totality of circumstances - "Was he out looking for trouble?" If you need to detain someone beyond presentation, you can almost always find something in the environment such as your belt, shoe laces, or the piece of 550 cord you just happen to have in your pocket.
Respectfully and Semper Fi,
F. Phil Torres
Colonel of Marines, Retired
Independent Security Contractor
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Unarmed Combat Instructor
NRA Life Member

frankie_the_yankee
Banned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

USMC-COL wrote:

I don't like IWB. I like OWB carry and I always wear my shirt untucked or in winter a light jacket. BUT, what if one got a handcuff holster and placed it in front of their Gun Holster say like at the 2 o'clock position with handcuffs in it. That way if you accidentally showed any sheep would think you were just undercover because you appeared to be LEO and would be less inclined to call the COPS.
If your carry methods will easily compromise your concealment, change your carry methods. In an incident, cuffs may go to the totality of circumstances - "Was he out looking for trouble?" If you need to detain someone beyond presentation, you can almost always find something in the environment such as your belt, shoe laces, or the piece of 550 cord you just happen to have in your pocket.
Excellent point.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

jimlongley

Post by jimlongley »

USMC-COL wrote:

As a lifetime techie, I see nothing unusual about the tye-wraps in my pocket. :lol:
Real gun control, carrying 24/7/365

flintknapper
Banned
Posts in topic: 5

Post by flintknapper »

USMC-COL wrote:

:shock:
Even with training...it is hard enough to cuff someone who is resisting. I don't know if you've ever tried that with a belt or shoestrings...but your subject would have to be compliant or unconscious.
Spartans ask not how many, but where!

GSchretter

Post by GSchretter »

If you do have to shoot someone in defense they will use that against you.

Remember do not feed DA with ways to put you away.
This is what really counts.

Also might not be a good idea to wear all black and drive one of those old police cars you can buy at a police auction. :razz:

Mithras61

Post by Mithras61 »

RubenZ wrote:Especially since they are 11 years away from even owning a handgun :)
Not so. They can OWN a handgun at 18. They can't PURCHASE one until they are 21. A fine distinction, I know, but I thought I'd bring it up for the sake of accuracy :grin:

chewy555
Posts in topic: 3

Post by chewy555 »

flintknapper wrote:
USMC-COL wrote:

:shock:
Even with training...it is hard enough to cuff someone who is resisting. I don't know if you've ever tried that with a belt or shoestrings...but your subject would have to be compliant or unconscious.
As a security officer I carry cuffs when I work. It is hard to cuff someone who does not want to be cuffed. I would never want to try that with a belt or shoe laces.
I have thought about carrying my cuffs when I am not working, but so far the only thing that I do is just keep them in the car.
To those that are thinking about carrying them I would say check the local colleges to see if they offer a class on handcuffing and take it. This way if you do use them you can show that you have had some training with them if you have to use them.
H&K USP 45
Taurus Tracker .357
Taurus 1911

Renegade

Post by Renegade »

Mithras61 wrote:
RubenZ wrote:Especially since they are 11 years away from even owning a handgun :)
Not so. They can OWN a handgun at 18. They can't PURCHASE one until they are 21. A fine distinction, I know, but I thought I'd bring it up for the sake of accuracy :grin:
There is no age limit to OWN a handgun under either Federal or Texas law that I am aware of. There are some restrictions that might not apply to someone over 18/21, but a 10 year old can legally OWN a handgun.

The "10 year old" reference was part of the original Code of Conduct for this forum.

Mithras61

Post by Mithras61 »

Renegade wrote:
Mithras61 wrote:
There is no age limit to OWN a handgun under either Federal or Texas law that I am aware of. There are some restrictions that might not apply to someone over 18/21, but a 10 year old can legally OWN a handgun.

The "10 year old" reference was part of the original Code of Conduct for this forum.
Technically, if you aren't an adult (usually at age 18, but younger if you are emancipated), you don't actually own anything (your parent(s) or guardian(s) do). That's why I said 18. We often like to say that our child owns something like a firearm (I've said it myself), but the courts do not recognize such "ownership" as being legal.

stevie_d_64

Post by stevie_d_64 »

I believe Flint explained his theory very well...I have no dissagreement with him on his idea(s)...

But...This runs right back into the idea about why you would want someone who doesn't really know you that well, or even the ones that do...

To think, or worse assume, you are something you are not, if thats the case...

With that comes "unrealistic" expectations by others that you are to take action on ANYTHING unlawful in your presence, either at that time, or somewhere down the road???

There may not be a law against it to carry handcuffs or some other type of restraining device...Furry or not...

I don't want anyone to think or expect me to do anything "just because"...
"Perseverance and Preparedness triumph over Procrastination and Paranoia every time.” -- Steve
NRA - Life Member
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"
Μολών λαβέ!

Dragonfighter

Post by Dragonfighter »

A couple of short comments if I may:

When I first started carrying, I kept a spare mag in my rig as well. Well, I am an inherently lazy person and started weighing (no pun intended) my carrying requirements. I decided that what I needed, not what was ingrained from years of military and public service, was a means to get me out of a situation. If 13 + 1 wasn't enough, my situation would be beyond the ability of a handgun to rectify and the spare mag(s) became redundant. So now I carry just the weapon.

Carry Options That Have Worked For Me:

I most often carry in a Merlin pouch but for a long time I carried in a belly band and still will if I am going somewhere requiring me to dress nicely. But I carried it in the band under shirts not tucked in. I had about a 3/4 second draw to sight picture in that rig. If the wind did blow my shirt up, it was not seen even if the bottom of the band was. In the Merlin, it is well concealed and the "size" of the pouch is deceptive. It will not be seen unless you intend it or blindly unzip the wrong pocket when getting your wallet out at a cash register (ask me how I know about that one :oops: ).

Of Cuffs and What Not:

My situation is one where I do not anticipate forcefully detaining anyone by restraint. I will, and have, detained someone with the presentation and holding of my weapon. But if I had a reasonable expectation of needing to restrain, I would use the cable ties. They are light and strong and their very flexibility makes them almost impossible to slip out of. I have used them a couple of times and they work well. But I believe in either application (cuffs or ties) your use of them opens another legal can of worms.

I used to carry cuffs on my job and have had to use them, subduing and applying them to the bad guy was a challenge. I was younger, more fit and extremely fast then as well as trained. Now I am fat, gray (in what's not gone yet) and if I don't wake up aching, I think I must be dead.
Though I am still big and have a fair strength, my options in use of physical force are limited. If I do, it will most likely be because of the immediacy of the situation and to buy me time I need to arm.

Kyle (not Houston)
I Thess 5:21
Disclaimer: IANAL, IANYL, IDNPOOTV, IDNSIAHIE and IANROFL
"There is no situation so bad that you can't make it worse." - Chris Hadfield, NASA ISS Astronaut

srothstein

Post by srothstein »

For all of you who are truly anti-cuffs, let me pose a situation to you:

You have just come home and found the front door kicked in. You draw your weapon and your cell phone to call 911. As you are dialing, a man comes running out the front door towards you. You aim at him and tell him to stop. He complies, dropping the property he was carrying and raising his hands.

OK, you got him. Now what are you going to do with him?

Sort of like the question about the dog chasing the car.

On a more serious side, having cuffs available will at least give you an option. Obviously, you need a partner who also knows how to handcuff (which is not hard) and to stay out of your line of fire. I took one course from Ayoob several years back where he said all off-duty cops should also have their cuffs on them. Otherwise, a warped prosecutor or plaintiff's attorney is going to ask if you shot him simply because you could not secure him any other way. I am not sure I buy into that argument, but I have to admit the possibility of it.
Steve Rothstein

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”