Forgive me, for I have sinned

CHL discussions that do not fit into more specific topics

Moderators: carlson1, Charles L. Cotton

frankie_the_yankee
Banned
Posts in topic: 1

Re: Forgive me, for I have sinned

Post by frankie_the_yankee »

I think it seems "too perfect" because it is actually well written. But on the other hand surely we have all at sometime or another in our lifes helped a fellow human, whether it involved a gun or not.
One time in RI I was walking towards the entrance of a major shopping mall. It was around Christmas time. I had a CHL and was carrying. A woman carrying a small child hurriedly walked out of the mall, followed by a man. The man stopped and confronted her, and they began heatedly arguing in a language that I didn't understand. All this time, I am still walking towards them. When I was about 10 yards away, the guy took hold of the child and attempted to pull it from the woman's arms.

When I saw this, I stopped. (Let me point out here that I am a smaller-than-average guy, and about the same size as the guy arguing with the woman.) I stood there staring intently at both of them, with by arms folded across my chest. The woman held on to the kid. They soon noticed me, though they continued arguing. Then another person coming up behind me stopped alongside me and also stood there staring at them. And in a few seconds, another.

The guy glanced at us, tossed off a few more angry words and stormed off, walking past us in the process but not meeting our eyes. The woman, still carrying the child, went back into the mall.

I have no idea what might have happened, or what I might have done. I just reacted without a whole lot of conscious thought. All I knew was that something looked very wrong, and I wasn't just going to walk on by. Lucky for everyone, including me, the whole thing defused before things got too serious.
Ahm jus' a Southern boy trapped in a Yankee's body

Charles L. Cotton
Site Admin
Posts in topic: 2

Post by Charles L. Cotton »

nuparadigm wrote:Great story, but I guess I'll be the one to say it: it's a little too perfect.
Obviously, it could be a work of fiction. However, boiled down to the operative facts it was simply a case of thugs attacking a woman and child and being scared away by a man with a gun. No shots were fired and this is precisely the type of non-shooting event that would fall within the scope of the 2-3 million annual self-defense uses of firearms, according to the Kleck and Lott studies. They usually are not reported to the police, when they are rarely is an arrest made, and because of these factors and the lack of blood, they are almost never picked up by the media.

Yes, the story was artfully written, but with a little talent, time and perhaps help, most people can put their feelings into words; especially if they faced death and survived. We've all seen Internet hoaxes, but we have to remember that it's not possible to independently verify every event.

Chas.

locknload
Posts in topic: 3

Post by locknload »

Charles L. Cotton wrote:
nuparadigm wrote:Great story, but I guess I'll be the one to say it: it's a little too perfect.
Obviously, it could be a work of fiction. However, boiled down to the operative facts it was simply a case of thugs attacking a woman and child with a knife and being scared away by a man with a gun. No shots were fired and this is precisely the type of non-shooting event that would fall within the scope of the 2-3 million annual self-defense uses of firearms, according to the Kleck and Lott studies. They usually are not reported to the police, when they are rarely is an arrest made, and because of these factors and the lack of blood, they are almost never picked up by the media.

Yes, the story was artfully written, but with a little talent, time and perhaps help, most people can put their feelings into words; especially if they faced death and survived. We've all seen Internet hoaxes, but we have to remember that it's not possible to independently verify every event.

Chas.
But wait, Mr. Cotton!!! :bigear:

I like the hoaxes!!!!! :biggrinjester:

They make for fun reading, though a real sink hole for time!!! "rlol"

Don't mess with my hoaxes! :smash:

:smilelol5:

nuparadigm

Post by nuparadigm »

I believe that the story is probably at least 2/3 true. Regardless of any fabrication, the story feeds the person inside that needs to be fed. It gives affirmation that chivalry and honor isn't dead and forgotten - even in the world of make-believe. Myth is a powerful thing; true myth is even more powerful.
The last train out of any station will not be filled with nice people.

Remember Newton and Azrak.

LarryH

Post by LarryH »

This particular story was included in this week's e-newsletter from USCCA. I'd like to think that Tim Schmidt would verify the truth of the story before passing it on.

casingpoint

Post by casingpoint »

There is no place for fabricated scenarios here unless they are clearly labeled as such. This event does have a definite ring of unauthenticity about it. I remind you of the very questionable body of posts on the S&W board concerning ballistics put out by the purported Atalanta postmortem medical examiner know as deadmeat2, now enshrined in cyberspace as an authority on the subject on the www.

kwf2006

Post by kwf2006 »

This story does sound ficticious.

Im surprised Hannah Montana tickets are not in there somewhere.
"The man who trades freedom for security does not deserve nor will he ever receive either." -look it up.

Return to “General Texas CHL Discussion”